Buying Advice BX vs B for 7 acres

/ BX vs B for 7 acres #1  

johnandcaren

We now own 7 acres that are undeveloped. 3 acres in fron are open and moderately flat for cutting. Balance is wooded, inclined and lots of rocks. With our needs preliminarily defined we know we will eventually need:

FEL, backhoe, MMM, and box blade.

Landscape maintenance, drainage maintenance, planting small trees, maintaining an unpaved road, clearing downed trees, etc.

Question is: Will a BX be to small? Spending less is always preferred, but a tractor to small would be a real problem.

Any input welcome.

PS: Local dealer has a used B2630 that the owner never used. I believe about 50 hours. With FEL and MMM. Wants $13,500 which sounds high, but it is essentially a new tractor without the warranty. How does this price sound.

/ BX vs B for 7 acres #2  
I have about 7 acres, and I originally had a B7500, but now have an L3400HST.. really enjoy having the extra power and "grunt". We wind up using the L much more than the we did the B. It can just do so much more.

James K0UA

/ BX vs B for 7 acres #3  
The B2630 sounds OK to me, but would look for either the B2320, for smaller, or B2920 for larger, with all the attachments you would like. This size is also easy to move with a smaller trailer, 16ft tandom. I have now moved up, to a B3200 tlb, and need a larger trailer to move it, if I am going to move it a lot, if not will make do with the 16ft. Ok here is a teaser photo, of one I saw on a lot in NC.

Attachments

• 2011 3 520.jpg
    2011 3 520.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 529
   / BX vs B for 7 acres #4  
I have owned a BX2200 and now BX2660 and love that size. I have worked in various conditions including the woods. With your situation and being limited to one tractor, I would go with one of the B's. I have looked at them all, but personally prefer the B2630/B3030 for the position control, little longer wheel base as well as other features.

The shortcoming of the BX is not lack of power, but rather ground clearance and very vulnerable fan, filter, tie rods etc.

/ BX vs B for 7 acres #5  
I have owned a BX2200 and now BX2660 and love that size. I have worked in various conditions including the woods. With your situation and being limited to one tractor, I would go with one of the B's. I have looked at them all, but personally prefer the B2630/B3030 for the position control, little longer wheel base as well as other features.

The shortcoming of the BX is not lack of power, but rather ground clearance and very vulnerable fan, filter, tie rods etc.
As usual I agree with TripleR except for the 30 series because of position control. I only paid the extra money for the luxury machine L3240HST one time and I'm not convinced it was worth the extra money to me. TripleR is a farmer and I'm not. He uses implements where the position control matters but I'm a big lot home landscaper so I've never been bothered by my use of the 1/4 inching valve but I do love the 3ph extendable arms on the deluxe series tractors. I use quick hitches to compensate for that short coming.
Course TripleR is older than me (maybe a month or two) so those luxurys mean more to him being an older gentleman.:laughing:

/ BX vs B for 7 acres #6  
As usual I agree with TripleR except for the 30 series because of position control. I only paid the extra money for the luxury machine L3240HST one time and I'm not convinced it was worth the extra money to me. TripleR is a farmer and I'm not. He uses implements where the position control matters but I'm a big lot home landscaper so I've never been bothered by my use of the 1/4 inching valve but I do love the 3ph extendable arms on the deluxe series tractors. I use quick hitches to compensate for that short coming.
Course TripleR is older than me (maybe a month or two) so those luxurys mean more to him being an older gentleman.:laughing:

John, being a such a young pup, you have yet learned to fully appreciate the finer things in life such as position control and such. I expect when you get a little older and a little more "experience", you will come around.:laughing::laughing:

/ BX vs B for 7 acres #7  
I love my BX and it fits my needs well. With the amount of acreage you have, and a need to work in the woods, a BX is a bit underpowered and not tall enough for your tasks. I recommend a B or an L.

The BX is short with a low center of gravity. This is an advantage in many situations, however when driving over logs and rocks, you can become high centered and can also damage hydraulics, pumps, oil pan, and other low suspended items. Even with a taller tractor, skid plates would be a good idea.

/ BX vs B for 7 acres #8  
If you think you'll have no issues maneuvering a larger machine on your land then it may be the wiser choice. You'll certainly have more attachment options.

In my case terrain was a big issue. 20 acres mostly wooded with lot's of tight corners and hilly to steep terrain. I had no doubt a larger tractor was going to leave me needing to do at least some mowing with a smaller machine, and never would squeeze into our small barn and stalls, so it was a scut for me. I can't afford multiple tractors, plus storage and maintenance. Although a larger tractor would be nice sometimes, it's never not gotten the job done, just takes a bit longer sometimes. Heck the other day I was dragging at least 40 aspens out (uphill)with ease, granted not the heaviest tree, but I was impressed.

/ BX vs B for 7 acres #9  
How big are your rocks and do you plan on moving them?

/ BX vs B for 7 acres #10  
my vote is on the B. :thumbsup: You will get a much bigger tractor that will do evrything you listed and you wont have to deal with the hydro fan on the BX as it is one tough part to replace without major work. :eek: