Buying Advice L3200HST vs L3800HST

/ L3200HST vs L3800HST
Ok called my local dealer to get some prices on the implements and wheel ballast retail.

These are all Land Pride implements in the 25 series.

BB2566 (66" Box Blade) - $1158
RB2572 (72" Rear Blade) - $987
RB2584 (84" Rear Blade) - $1047
Quick Hitch for L series - $436

Fountain Tire does the Calcium for around $400 he said, but didn't know exactly.

I ideally would like to get a package price for the tractor, loader (66" QA), box blade, rear blade, and quick hitch. I would see if they would throw the Calcium in with the deal as well.

What would be a good package price for the L3800HST with these options?

Thanks.

/ L3200HST vs L3800HST
Forgot to mention I am in Canada so I'm not sure that makes much of a diff with our dollar being slightly better than par at the moment.

/ L3200HST vs L3800HST #13  
Tyler, I would not look at all at a L3700 mainly for the lack of a suspension seat.

I bought a L2800 HST for 28 acres and I'm very happy with it. Mowing would be nice to have a few extra ponies but that just means you get done sooner :( It will slip the tire / break traction before the engine knows it (I have loaded tires and ballast)

I don't know how much extra fuel you burn but I'm very happy with how little mine uses. For less than 5 acres, my opinion, the L3200 is a bit overkill and I would look at smaller ones with a backhoe :D:thumbsup: the smaller ones have a mid pto for a front mounted snow blower... how much snow are we talking about??? (you don't have a location in your profile)

/ L3200HST vs L3800HST
I am in Edmonton, AB. I had over 3' of settled snow in my yard last winter.

/ L3200HST vs L3800HST #15  
The L3200 will do anything the L3800 will do;function of weight and traction.They weigh the same,if you can't get the horse power to the ground it will do you no good.32 HP on 3.5 acres is more than enough.

Only true for ground engaging activities. Thigs like mowing, bushhogging, running a 3PH chipper, etc call ALL make good use of that extra power.

Does that extra foot of mower or boxblade have any worth to you?

HP means nothing for the boxblade. Only traction and weight. But yes, you are correct on the mower

Since you are looking at HST models, there is NO difference other than power.

And I dont know on the 3200/3800, but on the 2800/3400 gear tractors, there was a difference in PTO drive.

You have to look carefully at your current AND future needs. With what you describe in your first post, I'd say the 3200 and save your money. BUT if there is any chance you will want to run a PTO driven implement like a mower, rotary cutter, chipper, tiller, etc. I'd spend the extra $1900 for the 5HP. But that is my opinion.

As far as the implements go, shop used in your local area. C-list, etc. Decent used equipment can be had for well under half of the cost of new. If it is anything like here, you can find a good blade heavy enough you wont mangle for ~$300. A good BB used will run ~$500.

And I wouldnt recoment the calcium. It is cheaper and that is the only benefit. Rimguard(beet juice) is a little more $$$, but isnt corrosive. Another option that is quite common (allthough not quite as heavy) is windshield washer fluid.

/ L3200HST vs L3800HST #16  
Barlows quoted a price difference of $1400 between the L3400 and L3800 models, you may be able to do a little better w/ your dealer.

/ L3200HST vs L3800HST #17  
Hey devildog1,

I basically used the wheelbase to determine what I think the blade length should be. The loader would have a 66" bucket and both the 3200 and 3800 have a wheelbase of 63.3" so I figured an angled 72" blade would cover the tracks. This is only my assumption with no real world experience so those who know please speak up.

Thanks.
Mega,
Just remember that there maybe 6 or 7 pin holes for angle front and back. I believe when blade is fully angled to push or plow dirt or snow rear 72" blade will not cover your 63.3 " wheel width, I'd go with the 84" as you'll only have 8.7" left for the angle.Between the L3200 or the L3800 that has to be your choice, extra hp can be good if running 3 point attachments with pto.
DevilDog

/ L3200HST vs L3800HST #18  
List is likely based on Market Based Pricing. To be competitive, a XX HP tractor will be priced for that HP and YY HP tractor will be priced for that HP (assuming same chassis size). Kubota may have had to increase the size of some powertrain components to handle the extra power (I don't know the internals but a Kubota mechanic might know), but there may not be anything more than the small engine displacement difference. Often it is more cost effective for a company to use identical larger capability components in a machine with less horsepower due to commonality, and will accept they are going to make less money per machine on the lower powered machine but overall cost will be lower than producing an entirely different powertrain. This happens even inside companies. I had 2 machines, 150 HP and 175 HP, identical except for the power curve flashed into the computer. Our inter-plant transfer price for the engine was different. We got less money for the 150 HP machihne but overall the company came out ahead. Dealers do better too because of fewer parts to stock. If customers know which one to pick, they may really win by getting a bulletproof powertrain. On the other hand a customer might select the combination where everything is at its limit. When those customers use the machine for long hours at that limit - well, they make for the interesting failed parts I keep as souvenirs around the house that my wife thinks look like crap.

/ L3200HST vs L3800HST #19  
I believe that a 72" blade put on a 45 degree angle does not even cover a 5 foot wide path. About 56", a 7 footer should cover about 64". So a 7 footer at the minimum would be my choice for a rear blade. And remember that weight is your friend whenever you are grading.

/ L3200HST vs L3800HST #20  
A HEAVY 7 footer is a bit much for a 3200/3800 for anything other than light grading or snow. I know because I have a 700lb 7 footer for my 3400. It is about the MAX. A 6 footer WILL cover the wheel track when fully angled, because they dont angle to 45 degrees. At least most dont. They are more like 30 degrees. And a 72" blade @ 30 degrees will cover ~62".

And even a 6 foot blade on full angle with a good bite will pull a 3200/3800 sideways.

There is a lot to learn about technique when using a RB. Like steering with the brakes, etc.