Buying Advice L3200HST vs L3800HST

/ L3200HST vs L3800HST #1  

07Megacab

So I think I have narrowed down my choices to one of these two tractors. I currently have 3.5 acres that I need to complete some landscaping on before putting it up for sale and just purchased 2.7 treed acres to build a house on. The new lot will need tree removal, finally grading, driveway prep and maintenance, winter snow removal, and regular acreage chore stuff.

The local dealer quoted me a $1900 difference between the two models which seems excessive for a mere 6 hp.

Here are his quoted MSRP prices:
L3800HST Tractor w/ block heater - $16,795 CAD (current Kubota promotion)
A524 Loader with QA and 66" bucket - $4000

Take $1900 off for the L3200.

Typically I am a go big or go home kinda guy. I would much rather have the power and not need it, then need it and not have it. Is the 3800 worth that much over the 3200?

Also looking for implement suggestions for the work I described above. I was thinking a Land Pride Quick Hitch with a 72" rear angled blade and a 66" box scraper. Too big, too small, which series to go with?

Thanks for any insight.
-Tyler

/ L3200HST vs L3800HST #2  
So I think I have narrowed down my choices to one of these two tractors. I currently have 3.5 acres that I need to complete some landscaping on before putting it up for sale and just purchased 2.7 treed acres to build a house on. The new lot will need tree removal, finally grading, driveway prep and maintenance, winter snow removal, and regular acreage chore stuff.

The local dealer quoted me a $1900 difference between the two models which seems excessive for a mere 6 hp.

Here are his quoted MSRP prices:
L3800HST Tractor w/ block heater - $16,795 CAD (current Kubota promotion)
A524 Loader with QA and 66" bucket - $4000

Take $1900 off for the L3200.

Typically I am a go big or go home kinda guy. I would much rather have the power and not need it, then need it and not have it. Is the 3800 worth that much over the 3200?

Also looking for implement suggestions for the work I described above. I was thinking a Land Pride Quick Hitch with a 72" rear angled blade and a 66" box scraper. Too big, too small, which series to go with?

Thanks for any insight.
-Tyler

Well I am not the guy to reply because I am always of the opinion of getting the most hp for the size that works for you. Can always use less hp than you have but can never use more than the engine has. Does that make sense:confused2::confused2: you know what I mean. Yes the hp is expensive but you will retain the value on the other end if you trade.:)

/ L3200HST vs L3800HST
I understand exactly what you mean and I am cut from the same cloth as I mentioned.
Typically I am a go big or go home kinda guy. I would much rather have the power and not need it, then need it and not have it.

It just seemed extreme to me for the price to be so much more to bore and stroke the engine slightly different and that's the only thing you get for the $1900.

/ L3200HST vs L3800HST #4  
The L3200 will do anything the L3800 will do;function of weight and traction.They weigh the same,if you can't get the horse power to the ground it will do you no good.32 HP on 3.5 acres is more than enough.

/ L3200HST vs L3800HST #5  
It seems to me that the significant difference is the 5hp at the PTO. That means a size difference in implements between the two. Does that extra foot of mower or boxblade have any worth to you?

/ L3200HST vs L3800HST
Yah the specs are identical with the exception of the displacement. The 3800 is 45lbs heavier, but that is nothing when we are talking about a 2600+lb machine. I planned on putting Rim Guard if available or calcium in the tires for some ballast.

Land Pride's implements in the 25 series work from 25-40 HP so both would fall in this category. I was thinking a LP BB2566 and a RB2572.

/ L3200HST vs L3800HST #7  
The $1900 price difference for those two models is in line with MSRP pricing listed on the "Build My Kubota" pricing tool on the Kubota web site.

You might want to consider a L3700SU-HST if you can locate one or have your local dealer get one for you. Capabilities are almost exactly the same as the L3800 HST, except for some prettier sheet metal, but you can save about $1000 or better. I bought a L3700SU-HST a few months ago, and I was looking at the L3800 HST at that time as well. You can read about my comparison shopping on my other posts.

I would recommend the larger HP model for your applications, but that's just me. As you have said, I also believe buying a little more HP up front is wise if you even have a hint you might want or need it. In the two 37HP (that's gross HP, about 30HP @PTO) kubota tractors I have had now, I have been glad I had this size engine and it has never come up short on power. Many of my tractor tasks have been similar to yours. Tough to get more HP out of a smaller engine when you need it. Also, with more HP you have less strain on the engine over the long term. I gave my 5ft brush hog a workout over 5years of tough stuff in Northern Wisconsin, cleared snow on a 700ft driveway all winter with a 7 foot back blade and FEL, cleared trees to build that 700ft driveway and build a house, moved firewood, built a few retaining walls, now I'm mowing in North Carolina with a 6ft Finish mower at speed, all without any need or want for more power (but glad I had it) :thumbsup:.

/ L3200HST vs L3800HST #8  
Yah the specs are identical with the exception of the displacement. The 3800 is 45lbs heavier, but that is nothing when we are talking about a 2600+lb machine. I planned on putting Rim Guard if available or calcium in the tires for some ballast.

Land Pride's implements in the 25 series work from 25-40 HP so both would fall in this category. I was thinking a LP BB2566 and a RB2572.[/quote]
The Land Pride 25 series are good medium duty blades. I had the 72" for my B3200 and it worked good. I now have a L3540 and I sold the 72" RB as it would not cover the tracks when it was angled plowing snow or dirt. I purchased the RB3584 for my grand L because I believe it weighs in more then the L3800 and I only want to buy one more time.Check the width of you tractor to see if the 72" cover tracks at angle.
DevilDog

/ L3200HST vs L3800HST
Hey devildog1,

I basically used the wheelbase to determine what I think the blade length should be. The loader would have a 66" bucket and both the 3200 and 3800 have a wheelbase of 63.3" so I figured an angled 72" blade would cover the tracks. This is only my assumption with no real world experience so those who know please speak up.

Thanks.

/ L3200HST vs L3800HST #10  
Sadly, when it comes to HP, I find I am happier when I get more than needed, so I am probably an HP enabler. Thinking long term, it is hard to know what all you will ask of your machine during its lifetime and you will never need less though you just might need more.

Long term, the $$$ difference isn't really that much especially if you are financing.