Grand L 3940 vs. Mahindra 4035

/ Grand L 3940 vs. Mahindra 4035 #1  

RJJR

Gold Member
Tractor
2011 Kioti DK45 HST
Folks,
You can see from my previous posts that I'm leaining toward the purchase of a Grand L3940 and loader. But yesterday, I met a man who runs a feed operation that told me I'd be doing myself an injustice if I didn't consider the Mahindra 4035. He's been in the grain business for 30 years and mostly ran JDs so he couldn't speak directly to the comparisons of these two tractors. But he said he now runs nothing but Mahindra and for the money its the best value out there. I realize this is one man's opinion which is why I'm posting here to ask specifically "what am I giving up if I move from the Kubota GL3940 to the Mahindra 4035? Dealer replies are welcome if you can compare the two. I know this is the Kuboto fourum which is why I'm asking here as you may have more insight. The Mahindra is obviously priced more agressively so what am I giving up for the difference in price?
Thank you,
RJ

/ Grand L 3940 vs. Mahindra 4035 #2  
I am not familiar with Mahindra tractors as there isn't much in the way of dealer support.

Right off hand the HST+ is all I can think of.

"But he said he now runs nothing but Mahindra and for the money its the best value out there."

I personally am more interested in the best tractor out there for me regardless of price, within reason of course.

For you, it may be the Mahindra or it may be the Kubota, I would sure try them both and consider dealerships to boot.

/ Grand L 3940 vs. Mahindra 4035 #3  
You'd be giving up a vast parts and supplies network, resale value, looks like no hydro is available and you'd be getting a 3cyl. instead of a 4cyl. What is price difference?

Mahindra 4035 looks to be one of their more modern models, has more up-to-date features than some of the older models.

MahindraUSA 35 Series

Around here Mahindra dealers seem to pop up one year and gone the next. That's why we tend to stick with mainline companies. Our L3940HST Kubota is the first non-Red tractor this farm has had in over 75 years. It will not likely be the last. My wife's operation has 6 tractors including the Kubota, all the rest are Farmall, International and Case IH.

The L3940HST is the most user friendly tractor we've ever operated, it's like driving a car, a little over a year old and has 205 hours on it. Next easiest is the CaseIH 5140 with Power Shuttle transmission and power reverser.

/ Grand L 3940 vs. Mahindra 4035 #4  
You'd be giving up a vast parts and supplies network, resale value, looks like no hydro is available and you'd be getting a 3cyl. instead of a 4cyl. What is price difference?

Mahindra 4035 looks to be one of their more modern models, has more up-to-date features than some of the older models.

MahindraUSA 35 Series

Around here Mahindra dealers seem to pop up one year and gone the next. That's why we tend to stick with mainline companies. Our L3940HST Kubota is the first non-Red tractor this farm has had in over 75 years. It will not likely be the last. My wife's operation has 6 tractors including the Kubota, all the rest are Farmall, International and Case IH.

Grateful11, your link is to an original add. The new 4035 comes with either a hydro, shuttle or power shuttle transmission.

Both tractors are very nice machines. A person really needs to sit on each machine and see how it feels to them. They are the one who will be in the seat, it should feel right to them.

/ Grand L 3940 vs. Mahindra 4035 #5  
I see that I went back to edit my reply and put in there that there was a HST available but forgot to click save changes in another tab. The Mahindra is not a bad looking tractor but my wife's in it for the long haul two of her tractors are about 35 years old and still run and look great, she doesn't like trade much once she gets what she needs. She is in process of updating some of her implements, rake, grain drill and maybe a new Haybine or Discbine next year.

/ Grand L 3940 vs. Mahindra 4035 #6  
You'd actually be doing yourself and injustice if you didn't consider ALL comparable models from the brands in which you have dealer support for. NOT just kubota VS Mahindra.

Some other good ones are JD, New Holland, Kioti, MF, etc.

And you'd also be doing an injustice if you didnt compare other similar models in each brand.

For example, you are looking at the L3940, have you looked at the L4400. Has fewer features, as it is an economy model, but a good value for the $$$. Or have you considered going up one model size to the L4240. Darn near Identical tractor as the L3940, but it comes with the stronger loader that will lift ~800lbs more than the L3940 @ the pins.

/ Grand L 3940 vs. Mahindra 4035
I considered the L series and was really interested unitl I read about the problems with the jerky hitch. I'm pricing the Mahindra today or tomorrow so I'll see if there's going to be a signifant difference.
Thanks

/ Grand L 3940 vs. Mahindra 4035 #8  
The grand L series is a full featured tractor and the Mahindra is a more basic tractor more like the L 4400 is in the Kubota line-up.

Things that I look for in tractors are often small and then There is what I listen to. I like quite engines, some just sound like that they are coming apart even when new!
Look at the fit of the loader, some makes require the bolt holes to be egged out to get the bolts in which will give you a weak mount! Rare on a Kubota.
Look for things lower then the axles, some tractors still have the front of the steering linkage below the axle, great to get caught when going through mud as the axle often protects the linkage from damage.
Sometimes there are other parts such as brake linkages and hydraulic lines.

There is more such as dealer support which is your first thing to consider although there is a difference of need on different makes.

/ Grand L 3940 vs. Mahindra 4035 #9  
I considered the L series and was really interested unitl I read about the problems with the jerky hitch.

... which isn't on the Grand L series Kubotas; it's an issue for some users of the basic L's and smaller B series. The Grand L's have full position control with no such issues.

Last edited:
   / Grand L 3940 vs. Mahindra 4035 #10  
The grand L series is a full featured tractor and the Mahindra is a more basic tractor more like the L 4400 is in the Kubota line-up.

Things that I look for in tractors are often small and then There is what I listen to. I like quite engines, some just sound like that they are coming apart even when new!
Look at the fit of the loader, some makes require the bolt holes to be egged out to get the bolts in which will give you a weak mount! Rare on a Kubota.
Look for things lower then the axles, some tractors still have the front of the steering linkage below the axle, great to get caught when going through mud as the axle often protects the linkage from damage.
Sometimes there are other parts such as brake linkages and hydraulic lines.

There is more such as dealer support which is your first thing to consider although there is a difference of need on different makes.

Art, will you please tell us why it is that you feel that the Mahindra 4035 is better compared to the L4400. You do know that Mahindra has different levels of tractors just like Kubota does, don't you? Mahindra's 4035 is far from an entry level tractor and has std features that are options on the Grand L 3940.