Which BX? 1860, 23, or 26?

/ Which BX? 1860, 23, or 26? #1  

MilesToEmpty

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130
Well our old Deere 420 is in the shop, and we are thinking its going to have a mid $500 medical bill... So it may be time to pull the plugs and let her go :(.

Anyway, we own 39 acres. Mix of woods, hills, and flat ground. I would say about 8 10 acres of that are grass and need mowing.

Usually on avg 1 acres is wet, and our Scag Z-turn mower doesnt do so well on it. Nor did the Deere.

The Deere was our secondary mower. All it can do is mow. And get stuck with the 2wd... and break lol.

We also have a Grand L 3130. We have chosen against getting a mower for it (do have a bushhog) because its not... nimble enough to handle between the trees and what not.

So back to the BX tractors. We purchased a BX22 back in the day, so we are familiar with them... But sold it to upgrade to the L.

My question now, what are the main differences between the 3 current BX's (excluding the 25 - dont need the hoe.)

Im aware the size is a bit difference, as well as the power and price, but is there a specific of why I should choose one over the other?

We have plans for it if we do get it. A cab and a Snow blower for the winter. We would get it with the FEL and MMM from the dealer though.

Anyway, looking for some input. Things to consider, why I should get one vs the other, etc.

And if the Boomer or the Massey GC are worth considering. (Theres a Boomer 26 for sale near us.)

Arial of out 19acres. The other 20 is on the opposite side of the road.
Screenshot2011-06-22at124707AM.png

yardfront.jpg

newlotpano.jpg

PanoramaRear2.jpg

/ Which BX? 1860, 23, or 26? #2  
Buy the BX that will run the biggest MMM since it seems the mowing is what your going for.
I know you were specific about only which of these three BX's to buy but..........since you have a tractor for tractor work and you have alot of mowing to do and you need? 4wd then go for the best 4wd mower available a Kubota F3080 with 6' mowing deck. Sell the zero turn and apply that money to the F purchase. There is the F2680 which is a bit less but it's 2wd but it still may meet your needs with loaded tires.

/ Which BX? 1860, 23, or 26? #3  
After looking at all three and owning a BX2200, we decided on a 2660 for the seat and little bit of extra horsepower.

If money was no object, I would go with an F Series, probably the 3080, but the price is a killer for us.

/ Which BX? 1860, 23, or 26? #4  
There is little difference between each BX's except for HP power from what I can see. The 2660 can lift 100lbs more then 1860. 1860 doesn't have industrial tires option, but that wouldn't stop me as I can order them from dealer or online and slap em on the 1860 if I wanted to. ;)

If I were you, I'd get the one with most power you can get - 2660 since you already have an L and stepping down to 1860 is just gonna have you wishing for a bit more after awhile.

/ Which BX? 1860, 23, or 26? #5  
I agree with some others, I'd look at a wheel drive F series mower. I've never used one, but they are pretty serious mowing machines, and it seems like you could justify one. BX for snow removal? If you have a Grand L, I'd use it for snow removal. I'd thing with a blade and the FEL it would do well.

/ Which BX? 1860, 23, or 26?
We're not looking to replace our Scag. We just purcahsed it less then 2 years ago and it has less then 60 hours on it.

My father isnt completely comfortable on the L. I have 95% of the seat time on it.

We had looked at teh GR series but for the cost not going with the BX for the FEL for just a bit more wasnt worth it.

The FEL is a needed part for us. I would say at least once a weekend we will have a tree limb, or a bush go down. Ill have to stop mowing with the Scag or the Deere and get the L. Move whatever that is in the way. Go back and get back to mowing.

The F series is very nice, but I dont feel it will suit our needs. Seeing as we had a BX22, we now realize how much we still need a unit that size in addition to our L.

Had I known about the F 3 series, which no one mentioned to us when we were shopping 2 years ago (even when we said we would pay anything for a front mower with a snow blower and cab,) we most likely would have purchased one.

/ Which BX? 1860, 23, or 26? #7  
My neighbor has a Deere 420 that we keep on fixing, there is something wrong every week, latest fix now is a break in the intake manifold. He started looking at the BX2660 because it was the right size and he wanted more power, but what was he thinking with the 420 in 1985, should of spent the money for the 430 diesel.? Well anyway the BX2660 was too much money as it just came out when he looked at it and he settled for the BX2360 with bagger and 60"deck.
Since you already have a L3130 (I have one also and a BX2230) I think the BX2360 is the correct choice as you get the 60" mower, front end loader, 4wd and 3 point capabilites and have power to do most things but not enough to start breaking or bending them and makes a great machine for landscaping and finish grading.

David Kb7uns

/ Which BX? 1860, 23, or 26? #9  
A BX does make an excellent companion tractor to an L. Where we live, we use the L5030 and BX2660 almost exclusively. We also run one or both up to another farm where our M8540 and John Deere 2305 live as the 2305 doesn't have a FEL.

We hope some day to have an F, but it won't replace the BX.

One thing you will like is the FEL on the BX's now are much easier to remove/attach than on the 2200.

/ Which BX? 1860, 23, or 26? #10  
In that you already have the L, I would go along with John Thomas in recommending an F series for the mowing. There is a snowblower available for this series as well, but no Kubota cab. I can't remember ever seeing or reading about any aftermarket soft side cab for an F. If you can find a soft cab for the F, that's what I'd go with. Otherwise, I might actually go with one of the smaller B series machines for the things you describe rather than a BX. You have a pretty good sized property.