Quarter Inching Valve?

/ Quarter Inching Valve? #1  

buzst

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2150HSD
Looked at the new B7800 today. sure looks like a great machine, Does anyone understand how the "quarter Inching Valve" compares to traditional position control?

Attachments

• 236790-scan0003a.jpg
    236790-scan0003a.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 330
   / Quarter Inching Valve? #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( anyone understand how the "quarter Inching Valve" compares to traditional position control? )</font>

Well . . ., I think I do, but not sure I'd want to bet too much on it. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

With the lack of position control or that quarter inching valve, the lever is centered. When you move it, forward or backward, the 3-point hitch raises or lowers and continues to move up or down until the lever comes back to the center. Moving the lever farther forward or backward only affects the speed with which the 3-point hitch raises or lowers, not the distance it moves.

With position control, the lever is not necessarily centered, and it may or may not be numbered; e.g., 1 all the way forward for lowest position of the 3-point to 8 all the way back for highest position of the 3-point. The lever always stays where you put it; e.g. if you put the lever in the center, the 3-point raises or lowers to the halfway point, stops, and stays there.

With the new quarter inching valve, the lever is centered. If you move it far forward or backward, it works just like one without position control, but if you move it just a little ways forward or backward, the 3-point raises or lowers that "quarter inch" and stops even if you have not gotten the lever back to the center quickly enough.

Now at least that's the way a salesman explained it to me while I was looking at a B7800, but I didn't actually start it and try it out. So it seems to me that the new quarter inching valve is almost as good as position control, but not quite in my personal opinion.

/ Quarter Inching Valve? #3  
<font color="purple"> With the new quarter inching valve, the lever is centered. If you move it far forward or backward, it works just like one without position control, but if you move it just a little ways forward or backward, the 3-point raises or lowers that "quarter inch" and stops even if you have not gotten the lever back to the center quickly enough </font>

Almost right /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You can bump it to the quarter-inching detent to get a quarter-inch movement, but you can also hold it there, and it raises (or lowers) very slowly, kind of like fine tuning. It took me a couple of days to discover this slow-moving adjustment, because it is so subtle a novice like me didn't notice it moving at all, at first.

I agree position control would be nice (too); it's too bad we can't have both that and the fine-tuning adjustment.

/ Quarter Inching Valve? #4  
Thanks for the information, Hank. I haven't tried one, but it sounds pretty good.

/ Quarter Inching Valve? #5  
Cannot be sure the other post seems correct except the tech rep told me that you can sort of side tap the lever to set the quarter inch in place, have not tried it yet but will as soon as mine arrives. Tech rep stated it was easy to work and was sort of an improvement over the standard position control because you could return to the same height once raising the blade for any reason. He stated it was more fine tuned than position control. Will have to wait and see.

/ Quarter Inching Valve?
Thanks for the info guys, but I'm not sure I still understand. Are you saying it gives the ability to make fine adjustments to its current position but not go back to a known previous position?

/ Quarter Inching Valve? #7  
<font color="purple"> Are you saying it gives the ability to make fine adjustments to its current position but not go back to a known previous position </font>

Unless someone can educate this newbie B7800 owner, yes that is correct. I have been returning to a "known previous position" by judging the terrain I am working and fine-tuning it down to where I was working on the last pass.

However, I have found the fine-tuning adjustment useful for gradually adjusting the box blade's scraping depth while moving, and for gradually dumping a box full of dirt.