whats close to a L-2800?

/ whats close to a L-2800? #1  

MetroGuy

Tractor
Kubota L-2800
I have a seven month old Kubota L-2800 HST, with FEL, I bought new in December of 2010. I have a major issue with the jerky 3pt hitch. Kubota has authorized my local dealer to pick it up twice now, and attempt some adjustments, none of which have worked. This second time, the factory service rep actually did the adjustment. It is actually worse now that a second procedure has been attempted. I have seen and read numerous threads on this issue and now understand it is due to the valve used. For some owners, the jerky hitch makes no difference. I'm happy for them, as otherwise I love this tractor. For me, I use it exclusively for fine grading work and the imprecise movement of the attachments is a big deal. So far, Kubota has been very responsive in attempting to help me with this issue, but I now realize there really is nothing that is going to help, short of Kubota coming out with a new valve which they are not going to do. In this process, I am told that if I am still not satisfied, that Kubota Sales will get involved and I will be offered several options. 1) return the tractor for a refund, 2) trade in the tractor for a model which suits my needs better, or 3) keep it and put up with the jerky hitch.

I love the size and style of my L-2800, and the simplicity, but I know that if I keep it, every time I use it I will be so pissed off at the jerky hitch that I will come away aggravated and mad, and my work with it should be a pleasurable and fun experience.

My dealer has been responsive and of course will do whatever Kubota allows me to do. I could not ask for better service from my dealer. I asked my dealer what similar size tractors, up or down, would I be able to go to that DO NOT have the same 3pt hitch valve that the L-2800 has. Two suggestions were the Grand L 3240, and the B3030. One a step up in physical size and horsepower, and the other a step down in physical size, but a step up in horsepower.

One of the reasons I didn't go with a B series to begin with was that I wanted a universal quick hitch for the FEL, and at the time I think I mistakenly believed that the B series had a quick hitch system, but it was proprietary to Kubota's equipment. So I chose the L-2800. I have since purchased a set of quick hitch front forks. I have now been informed that there is an attachment system that will fit the B series loaders, that will allow for a universal quick attachment system so I can use my forks or any other universal quick attach system. So the B series could now be an option.

The problem is, if I decide not to keep the L-2800 and go with another Kubota tractor, its not like its going to be an even swap. In both instances or choices listed above, the L3240 and the B3030, there is extra money that goes with each choice. Without really discussing differences in price of those units, just looking at retail value, I see that there is about a $3300.00 increase for the B3030, and about a $5800.00 increase if I went with the L3240. At first glance, the L3240 is out of the question, due to the amount of money I would need. The B3030 might be workable, but I'm not sure yet. Since it was a big deal getting my first tractor to begin with and my budget at the time was about as tight as my sharp pencil would make it, the thought of having to put out more money isn't exactly what I was hoping for. I do not expect Kubota to give me a more expensive tractor in exchange for mine. Let me make that clear. What I am asking here is if anyone has any suggestions on what might be a better choice than my L-2800, but have a nice smooth 3pt hitch. Again, my tractor work is almost exclusively maintaining a gravel driveway that is approximately 1100 feet long, and a private road which is approximately 1300 feet long. The driveway has a small hill and curve at one portion. Even though the 3030 has more horsepower, it is a lighter tractor. Will I have trouble scraping my driveway and roadway because of the lesser weight of the tractor? Another consideration is that I already have two 3pt hitch implements, a pretty hefty 5 foot box scraper and a 6 foot articulating scrape blade. Would the 3030 handle these two implements?

Thanks for any information, comments, thoughts etc.

/ whats close to a L-2800? #2  
The B3030 is a great tractor but it is not an L. You could go to the B3300 with the larger tires and with ballast will give the feeling of a bigger heavier tractor.
My first choice of course would be the L3240 but if money is a problem then that is out.
Another thought is the dealer might upgrade a B3030 with the larger tires and ballast. :thumbsup:

/ whats close to a L-2800? #3  
I am one of the ones the jerky hitch does not bother much. But I have "heard" that the Grand L valve components can be retrofitted to the L2800/L3400/L3700 tractors. I dont know this for a fact. But check it out. it might be the solution. to pay a few hundred for a fix like this. From most reports the L3200 and the L3800 the newest tractors in this line still have the problem.. although some owners and at least one dealer on here.. say "what problem?" I guess it depends on what you do with the tractor, and your tolerance for small aggravations is. Check with Chilly 807 and Teg for the latest in the "jerky hitch saga". You are correct that this is about the only wart on the nose of these excellent tractors. I really love mine, and get a lot of use out of it. Good luck and let us know if you come across something good

James K0UA

/ whats close to a L-2800?
Thanks for the comments so far. I have read on here about a grand L valve working on an L-2800, but I am told by the Kubota service Rep, that it will not work. Somewhere I had read that the bolt holes would not line up, the the rep tells me that its the holes where the hydrolic fluids enter and exit that will not line up. I tend to believe that, since it would be a really easy fix to just swap out valves.

/ whats close to a L-2800? #5  
I was considering a L2800 or L3200. I sure would appreciate if someone could explain exactly what the hitch does that frustrates many owners.

Kuboman, when you say the 3030 is not an L, what are you speaking of mostly. Is it size of frame and weight of tractor, which could prevent me from using the implements I already have (the 6' blade and the 5' box scraper)? Actually, the 3030 has a lot more features than the basic L, which might be handy.

/ whats close to a L-2800? #7  
Metroguy, the biggest diffeerence from a B to a L is tire height, loader height, and overall weight. The Bs would be more manueverable and the Ls reach higher, a little more power. Some of the new Bs are almost as big as the older Ls.

Wolfy, here is my problem with my L-2800. When lowering the box scraper or scrape blade, it goes very smoothly, no matter how slow I try to lower it. But when trying to raise the implement just a hair, it jerks up and stops. It does so about an inch or more at a time. Lets say I lower the blade to scrape some gravel, then decide I need the blade just a fraction of an inch higher. I slowly move the lever just a bit, but the hitch raises not a fraction of an inch, but at least an inch or more. It seems I can never get the blade exactly where I need it. Plus, when it jerks up, the whole tractor jerks and bounces. It really is a thorn in this otherwise wonderful tractor.

Now had I known this tractor did this, I would not have purchased it. I had read about this issue on many threads here at TBN and I asked my dealer about it before purchase. My dealer remembered that there was an issue, and searched for what he thought was a Technical Service Bulletin on the issue. He found an Informational Bulletin that he showed me that indicated the problem had been fixed, several years before my 2010 L-2800 was made. The bulletin even gave a serial number that was thousands before my tractor was made. So I and the dealer believed the issue had been corrected. No, I did not try it out at the dealer, as I believed the issue had been corrected, due to the bulletin he showed me. It just didn't occur to me that it would still be jerky. If all I was doing was plowing, or bush hogging, it probably would not bother me, but I am doing mostly fine grading and I just cannot stand the way it jerks.

/ whats close to a L-2800? #9  
I was considering a L2800 or L3200. I sure would appreciate if someone could explain exactly what the hitch does that frustrates many owners.

Here are some of my observations in 3 posts I have made this last year:

My 2010 L3400 still has the jerky 3ph going up. Doesnt bother me any at all. If you move the handle rapidly to a position, there is one jerk at the end when the implement comes to a stop. then you can feather it down to where you want it smoothly, as it is as smooth as silk going down. BUT if you try to raise the hitch slowly to a given position, then it is jerky city. Some have said they dont have the problem, some have said the 2008 2009 models dont have the problem. some have said that a new valve kubota has will fix the problem.. Some have said it will not. some have said "well that is how 1/4 inching is supposed to work" only problem there it is not a 1/4 inching valve. It is position control. Some have speculated that the 3800 does not have the problem. I do not know. I do know this, if you raise the loader at the same time as you raise the 3PH the problem goes away. Of course there would be less hydraulic flow going to the 3PH at that time as the 3PH is after the Power Beyond port on the control valve of the loader. Take this info for what you paid for it, but to me it is not a problem, it may be for others. Love the tractor overall, reliable and when properly loaded it is a workhorse, and it fits me well. YMMV

Here is what I have found, on my 2010 L3400:
If you raise the lift, in one smooth movement, no problem it will go there smoothly, you then can lower the lift by gently moving the lever down in any increments you like, and it will smoothly go down. However if you "overshoot" the place you want to stop at. you cannot just nudge it back up a little it will jerk up every time. so to summarize: move up to one position, in one movement of the lever, no problem smooth movement up to that position and stop. And to move down smoothly, no problem, you can move in one or multiple movements of the lever, and the movement is smooth. BUT if you try to move up in small increments, Big potential problem, jerky upward movement.
Overall this has not really diminished anything I do with the tractor, I just know how it works and I work accordingly. But is is not smooth up with small movements. YMMV

Also you will not be able to tell much if the tractor does not have an implement on the 3ph. just a bare tractor will not prove much. I have a 2010 L3400, and the 3pt hitch is jerky if you try to raise it slowly. If you just move the lever smartly up. there will be one "jerk" at the end of movement. But if you try to raise the lever slowly the 3pt. will be a series of jerky raising movements. Of course lowering the 3pt, it is silky smooth. Not a problem for the things I do., but I can see how lifting a motor with a boom pole, would be an issue.

James K0UA

/ whats close to a L-2800? #10  
... But I have "heard" that the Grand L valve components can be retrofitted to the L2800/L3400/L3700 tractors...
I am one of the guys that got the old jerky valve replaced with a new one. It is so darn nice... I'm also one that believes the Grand L valves would/could still work but kubota will never let that happen...

If I were you; do #1) return the tractor for a refund... and look at other brands. Period.

PS. I do wonder if some valves are worst than others, since this is a cheap valve, I would assume that the quality control is slipping big time. :2cents:

PSS. Added photo... I would not have tried this with the old valves!