Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: JD 3038 vs. Kubota L3800

Nybirdman, don't know why I thought Yanmar was a Chinese, not Japanese manufacturer. Thanks for this information. I'm more comfortable going with a JD 3038 now instead now instead of the L3800, which I did have my heart set on. Any idea why kubota won't clean up that 3 point hitch valve problem?

Mike

Tractor
    L2800.

Quote Originally Posted by oneillmj View Post
    ...Any idea why kubota won't clean up that 3 point hitch valve problem?
    I think back in 2005 and the cost of the valve was about $400... I was willing to pay that if I had to. The best "guess" was to try and make people buy the higher price Grand L model (or at least make that a reason to step up to the Grand L)... Until more people start to buy other brands, they sell a heck of allot of jerky hitches to people who don't know how smooth it should and could be.

Tractor
    Kubota l3400

Please post what you find out about the JD3038. I was all set to buy the kubota L3800 but will not buy a defective tractor that the company won't make good on. I was originally going to go with a JD but realy didn't want to deal with a Yanmar engine since so much junk comes out of China nowadays. But to knowlingly have a defective valve mechanism on the three point hitch doesn't speak well of Kubota at all. That's how a company loses it good name.

Mike
    Another "wow" from me.

As others have mentioned, yanmar is a GREAT engine. I would not hesitate based on that.

And the kubota valve is NOT defective. It is just a different style of valve that is cheaper to make (since this is a economy model) and isnt as "luxurious" as other more expensive stuff.

To say it is defective would be like saying hand crank windows in your car are defective and that they should put power windows in all cars.

But again, the valve isnt defective, just different and cheaper to make to give customers the most tractor for their $$$. The 3PH doesnt bother me on mine. But sure, it would be nice to have the better valve. But then again, it would also have been nice to have HST, a stronger loader, push button PTO, open station, etc, etc, etc. But I could not afford the Grand-L kubotas.
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota L3400GST W/LA463 FEL
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Tractor
    L3800HST

Any idea why kubota won't clean up that 3 point hitch valve problem?
    They push the L3800 as an "economy" model, so no Rolls-Royce valves for you! And you get a laughable plastic toolbox.

However, I have an L3800HST, which I use with a rear finish mower, bush hog, and backhoe. The jerkiness doesn't actually affect anything I do. It's just an "aesthetic annoyance".

I do wonder if it would bother me if I had a post-hole augur, but I have no experience with that.

Overall, I love my L3800HST. I do want to replace the plastic toolbox with a metal box some day, though.

I found it was considerably cheaper (around here) compared to the comparable JD models.

- Mike

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

Nothing wrong with the John Deere, but if I had to balance out a jerky 3PH against an extra transmission range, I would pick the 3 range over a two every day.
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html

Tractor
    L2800.

Quote Originally Posted by zmjc View Post
    ...I do wonder if it would bother me if I had a post-hole augur, but I have no experience with that...
    Actually, that is the only time I was happy to have jerky hitch. It REALLY flung the dirt off the auger so that it didn't fall back into the hole!!!

Elite Member
    R.I.P.
    Tractor
    (B2620, had BX22) Simplicity Legacy w/48" mmm

This may give some idea, and there are a few other videos in this area that might be in teresting:

‪kubota B3300SU vs John Deere 3032E‬‏ - YouTube
    B2620,Loaded R-4's , Wallenstein BX42 chipper, Bush Hog SQ148 RC, 4' x 8' chain harrow, Blizzard 54" 3PT snowblower, Tirechains. com v-bar duo grip chains (hate them), Simplicity Legacy with 48"mmm, turbo collector, Country Line carry all, Countryline Middlebuster, Woods 48" BB, Kubota QA for loader, Kubota forks, Kuhn EL23 rototiller, and more to come...

Tractor
    Kubota L3400DT

I was thinking Yanmar was Korean, but it really doesn't matter where they come from. They are among the best small diesel manufacturers in the world. Very good reputation.

I think the jerky 3 point was a compromise that kubota wasn't willing to spend the extra time and money to correct. They still sell a lot of L series tractors, so the gamble paid off.

My toolbox is steel, 2009 model. You can fit a nice ham sandwich or two in it, but no more than 2 slices of cheese on the sandwich !

Like I said earlier, drive both now before you buy either one. It costs nothing to test drive them, but about $20K to correct a mistaken buy.

The Kubota is one sweet tractor, 3 ph aside. The Deere may have other objectionable traits worse than the 3 ph. I've never operated one, so I don't know. Paper specs are one thing, steel, feel, and ergonomics is another

Sean

Sean

One of the reasons I looked at kubota was that they had one of the best line ups for a 30hp tractor, the BX tractors are almost there, at the time Kubota had the 7800 and 3030 B tractors and a couple of L tractors (both economy and GL). They really gave lots of options.
    Kubota L4240,Case 580K backhoe, Case 450 Dozer

Padawan Tractor Learner
    Advertiser
    Tractor
    Deere 317 & L118

I have driven a 3032E and a B3300SU. The 3032E needs to be given throttle when you use high range or it will screech when you put your foot on the pedal. The low gear is similar to mid range on the kubota. The 3 point hitch is really smooth, it also has a long lift leaver which allows for more precise height adjustment. I did notice the exposed drive line underneath but it doesnt affect us because it only drags the arenas and pulls a cart around the yard. It does not have a FEL so i have no expertise on that. it does have a yanmar engine, no glow plugs like the 3320. The fuel gauge on the hood isn't the best, i almost ran it out of fuel recently because the gauge was covered in dust and the level was not visible.

The Kubota is really nice. The backhoe is smooth, the FEL is smooth, it feels like more tractor. The FEL mounts are really narrow, there isn't much room between the loader arms and the hood for serviceability. I didn't like the high range, even on a gravel road it is screechy like the 3032E, even with throttle. It definitely has more features though. I would assume the L3800 is similar to the B3300 so my vote would be towards the L3800. And this is coming from a JD guy.
    My Fleet:
    2004 Deere 317 Skid Steer Loader
    66" Construction bucket, imatch QA adapter, CU72 Jake Rake, Middle Buster, 60" Landscape rake, 54"x 48" Pallet forks
    2005 John Deere L118
    42" deck

Check out my rakes: www.Jakesimplements.com

Member of the TBN "Young gun" Club

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12