JD 3038 vs. Kubota L3800

/ JD 3038 vs. Kubota L3800 #1  

sgwheeler

Tractor
John Deere 820
I've narrowed it down to these two tractors. Anybody have any thoughts on one vs. the other?

/ JD 3038 vs. Kubota L3800 #2  
Well, you do know this could stir the pot right? You see a lot of guys like Kubota, and a lot of guys like John Deere. But when I was faced with that exact choice I chose Kubota L3400HST. (2010 version of the 2011 L3800) The loader does not come off of the JD the hydro on the JD is 2 range the Kubota is 3 range, yep that is better. The Kubota is available with Skid Steer Quick Attach bucket. get it now. you want one whether you know it or not. Dont do like I did and get it later, it costs more in blood sweat and tears. The L3400 and the L3800 both have a jerky 3 pt hitch, when moved up slowly it jerks. Some maybe worse than others, bothers some people a little , bothers some a lot. Doesnt bother me much for what I do. Its the only wart on an otherwise excellent tractor.. I highly reccomend Hydrostat transmission, safer, better in a dozen ways, and easier to operate, but that is an whole 'nuther controversy:laughing: In my opinion.. and this is JUST opinion not fact the Kubota L3800 is a little more tractor than the JD 3038. but it is your money and your choice. I have shot you as straight as I know how.
Now there will be 20 JD guys following me to shoot me full of holes..:D

James K0UA

/ JD 3038 vs. Kubota L3800 #3  
Before the shooting starts, I'll add a vote for the Kubota. Even with the 3-point "wart", (do I get a royalty on that term? :laughing:) it's got a lot of nice features. Compare the spec sheets on the two tractors, then test drive them both. Don't buy without test driving, even if it costs you a day of driving to get to a dealer that stocks the tractor you're interested in.

For the Kubota, ask them to mount something heavy on the back, like a box blade, and try raising it in small increments of about an inch. You'll soon see if you can live with the "bounce" or not, it may save you a lot of money and angst down the road. If you think it's ok, try the same test with the Deere and see if there's a difference.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

Sean

/ JD 3038 vs. Kubota L3800
Thanks for the input. Good suggestions.

/ JD 3038 vs. Kubota L3800 #5  
Nothing to add... you got perfect information above :thumbsup:

/ JD 3038 vs. Kubota L3800 #6  
Nothing to add... you got perfect information above :thumbsup:

We're getting better at this:)... pretty soon Kubota will start wondering why everyone wants to see the 3 ph in action before they buy an L series.. if only.

Sean

/ JD 3038 vs. Kubota L3800 #7  
Please post what you find out about the JD3038. I was all set to buy the Kubota L3800 but will not buy a defective tractor that the company won't make good on. I was originally going to go with a JD but realy didn't want to deal with a Yanmar engine since so much junk comes out of China nowadays. But to knowlingly have a defective valve mechanism on the three point hitch doesn't speak well of Kubota at all. That's how a company loses it good name.

Mike

/ JD 3038 vs. Kubota L3800 #8  
Yanmar is Japanese...has built a lot of tractors...may-be the best part of the small JD's.

/ JD 3038 vs. Kubota L3800 #9  
Please post what you find out about the JD3038. I was all set to buy the Kubota L3800 but will not buy a defective tractor that the company won't make good on. I was originally going to go with a JD but realy didn't want to deal with a Yanmar engine since so much junk comes out of China nowadays. But to knowlingly have a defective valve mechanism on the three point hitch doesn't speak well of Kubota at all. That's how a company loses it good name.

Mike

Wow, just, wow.

/ JD 3038 vs. Kubota L3800 #10  
Two different styles of hyro pedals and different brake set ups. Need to see which one you like beter.

Check on the Mid Mount PTO and Cruise on both. I can't remember if both machine offer both options or not. I don't think the JD them.