Comparison L3800 vs. L3540

/ L3800 vs. L3540 #1  

FrankieO

Tractor
Kubota L3540
New to the forum and buying my first tractor, so this newbie could use some advice...

Think I have it narrowed down to the 2 models listed above--looking at about a $2800 upgrade for the Grand L3540. The 3800 would suit my needs fine, but for the extra $ I like the add'l capabilities of the 3540 plus the creature comforts.

Suggestions? I have gathered that the 3540 is more refined--particularly @ the 3pt (smooth vs. jerky 3800). Anybody have anything against the 3540?

Thanks!

/ L3800 vs. L3540 #2  
I owned a L3130(replaced by the L3240),currently own a L4240HSTC...buy the L3540 ,very nice machine.I just got off a B7800, a nice machine but bare bones compared to the Grand L's.

/ L3800 vs. L3540 #3  
No doubt the L3800 is a good basic, reasonably priced tractor, but I prefer the Grand L for the HST+, flat operator platform which is easier for me to get on and off, more comfortable seat, tilt steering, protected tie rods, optional mid PTO, extendable arms on the 3PH and some others I am sure I am overlooking.

/ L3800 vs. L3540 #4  
If you can afford it buy the GL. Much nicer tractor to operated and in my opinion a better machine than the standard L. It does have added electronic complication but they have proven to be quite reliable.:D

/ L3800 vs. L3540 #5  
Over the life of the tractor, $2,800 will be money well spent!

/ L3800 vs. L3540 #6  
Of course I'd vote for the L3540! I had already made up my mind when the dealer showed me something that I had not read in the literature.

He started the L3540 I had purchased and told me to note how loud it was and how it sounded. He shut it off and walked over to an L3800 and started it. It was way more noisy than the L3540 and it had more vibration too. Then he drove the L3800 back and forth a few feet to show me how the HST on it whines.

When I was doing my research I too thought the Grand-L was just a step up in creature comforts... but now that I have one I see it's just a better machine all around and I'm glad I went with the Grand-L.

If at all possible, I would recommend you try both: sit in them, start them, drive them and see.

Another way to look at it: it's like upgrading from a FORD to a BMW for $2800.

/ L3800 vs. L3540 #7  
...He started the L3540 I had purchased and told me to note how loud it was and how it sounded. He shut it off and walked over to an L3800 and started it. It was way more noisy than the L3540 and it had more vibration too. Then he drove the L3800 back and forth a few feet to show me how the HST on it whines...
Awe, man... you don't have to rub it in :laughing: Take your time!!! I bought after a knee jerk reaction. I'm happy with what I got but would have been happier spending a few more bucks.

/ L3800 vs. L3540 #8  
I have the L3400HST and its a good tractor,, but if it was only $2800 to me that's a "no brainer" get the Grand L. It has a LOT of nice features and worthwhile improvements. I would say you are getting a very good deal on the Grand L if that is all the diffference there is in price.

James K0UA

/ L3800 vs. L3540 #9  
One other thing to note is the physical size difference. Not sure if it would be beneficial or not, but the grand L is a lot bigger than the L3800. Size wise the L3540 is the same size as the L4400, just with smaller tires (in some varieties). Also weighs the same as an L4400. The L3800 is physically about the same size as the large B-series.

Not sure if you are also looking for a loader, but the two loader options on the grand L are quite a bit more robust than the standard L.

/ L3800 vs. L3540 #10  
Of course I'd vote for the L3540! I had already made up my mind when the dealer showed me something that I had not read in the literature.

He started the L3540 I had purchased and told me to note how loud it was and how it sounded. He shut it off and walked over to an L3800 and started it. It was way more noisy than the L3540 and it had more vibration too. Then he drove the L3800 back and forth a few feet to show me how the HST on it whines.

When I was doing my research I too thought the Grand-L was just a step up in creature comforts... but now that I have one I see it's just a better machine all around and I'm glad I went with the Grand-L.

If at all possible, I would recommend you try both: sit in them, start them, drive them and see.

Another way to look at it: it's like upgrading from a FORD to a BMW for $2800.

Ill take my ford over a bimmer anyday buddy! :cool: