Ready to buy, I think????

/ Ready to buy, I think???? #1  

PondKeeper

Silver Member
Northern (Morris Cty) NJ & Western Sullivan Cty, N
Tractor
Kubota B7500, New Holland LS45
Hello all. I'm a newbie who has been lurking for sometime and the moment has come where I need to jump or risk health consequesces! Meaning, the beating the boss gives me for making a project of buying a tractor is probably worse than the one I will get when she finds out the cost. I'm ready to risk it.
I started with the BX22, I have to have a BH, and think it would probably wotk but my properties have some clearence concerns, lots of rocks. I have settled on a B7500 because it will handle most of the projects and the cost isn't that much more over a few years.
I do not need a mower at this time, I use a NH LS45 for that and she is staying. All my work will be with the FEL and BH with occasional scraping of a gravel driveway.
My question is, can anyone advise me if I am not ordering the right equipment on the 7500. I am getting B7500HSD-F with turf tires, LA302FL with three hooks (reinforced), B4672A BH w/12" with one hook. The 7500 has the usual standard equipment. Am I leaving out anything? No need to suggest any attachments, the budget is already blown by jumping from the BX22. I can't go any high in models than the 7500 either.
BTW, I have a price of the high 17K's delivered. Is that ok?

Sorry for the long wind but chalk it up to Buck Fever and pulling that trigger can get you shaking!
Thanks, I have learned so much from this site and you friendly folks but I still feel like I know nothing.
Michael

/ Ready to buy, I think???? #2  
Mike,

Some things to consider:

Block heater
I think I would go with bar/R4 tires if all loader and bucket work.
Grill guard
Rear work light.
Perhaps a biger alternator if you plan on a cab in the future? Tooth bar for the loader
Loaded tires

Good luck

/ Ready to buy, I think???? #3  
I second NY_Y_F's suggestion of R4 tires, 40 amp alternator and toothbar.

The 40 amp alternator is good because each 55 watt light that you add will pull almost 5 amps...and unless I am wrong the standard alternator is 10 amps...

After I got my first flat on the front I got my front R4 tires foam filled. Cost about $70 each but was worth it to me because I was doing a lot of loader work in what must have been the old trash dump for this property back when there wsa not garbage collection... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Ready to buy, I think???? #4  
I have the same tractor that you are thinking of. I have used mine primarily for landscaping and basic yardwork. For my uses, it has been a perfect fit. I wouldn't want any smaller and actually I wouldn't want any bigger. I have removed some fairly large stumps with it. Do a search on "B7500 vs. Stump" and you can see a post about a stump I got out. With a little patience, these machines can do a lot of work. I do have a toothbar which is very nice for brushing out wooded areas and it was relatively cheap. I also have a pto driven chipper/shredder that I use a lot and will eventually pay for itself with the composted mulch that I am piling up. As far as the larger alternator, the work light circuit will handle 15 amps. I put 2 cheap driving lights (55 watt) facing forward and a cheap tractor light (35 watt?) facing backward and it gives me enough light to get basics done when it gets dark. I am sure you will be happy with this package and you can always add on after you get it. In fact I'm sure you will.

Greg

/ Ready to buy, I think???? #5  
HI MIKE! welcome to the forum; noticed that u listed 2 properties, which will u be using the tractor on, don't imagine u are going to get into a trailer for transporting. i suggest r/4 tires as a nice compromise, and tho the heavier duty alternato would be nice, for the extra lights , are u going to need extra lights? remember these extras are great but they do add cost, so u have to determine which u will need and want to spend$$$ on. one thing u might want to consider , IF not in the original package, is the addition of a detachable tootbar for the FEL, u may not use it often but it is a great tool when u need it.
FRANK

/ Ready to buy, I think????
Thanks for the help everyone.
I actually had the removable tooth bar quoted into my BX22 package because I know I could use it with the scrub brush and ground cover cleanup, in addition to the other uses many have suggested in prior threads. I am not set on the tires YET, but the reason for the turfs is that most of my property is lawn or open smooth ground. Once I make my trails I will be done with rough ground. I will look into the alternator and block heater cost, both would be helpful, I will be keeping the tractor in the extra bedroom, , I mean inside attached garages at both houses so I'm not sure if the block heater is a must now, that could be added later if I encounter a problem, I would think.

I will be using the tractor at both properties. Do early spring work in NJ and then off to the country for the summer and fall, then back to NJ for the snow. I shut the country house down in December and open it for trout season in late March each year. I will probably trade in my landscape (2 ton) trailer I have been using for a larger unit with breaks. Unless I just rent one for the first year. The older son graduates college then and I will only have one left in school. Two in college together, the toy budegt has suffered!!!

BTW, I saw the tree stump when first posted, sold me. I have several small ones on the project list, nothing like that thank God.

I really appreciate the opinions, I'm such a newbie, other than test drives I have no experience with a tractor. I know I have worked like one, it will be nice to let a machine do the heavy load once and for all.
Thanks again
Mike

/ Ready to buy, I think???? #7  
Mike,

Regarding the block heater, as long as the garages are heated or temps do not fall into the single digits inside of the garage, you will not need the block heater. But if the tractor ever get stored in a shed with no heat, it would be a good idea, adding it now should not be more then $100 I would think.

/ Ready to buy, I think???? #8  
Sounds like a great setup. Make sure that you get the 4 way value on the loader. I would add the illustrated parts and shop mannuals. Enjoy!

/ Ready to buy, I think???? #10  
About a $40 upgrade and allows you to attach a power front blade or a front snowthrower. I realize that you are not getting either of these options (and might never). However, if you decide to add them in the future, you have to upgrade the entire value assembly for about $550. Adds to resale value (even though I am sure that you will never sell) since the next guy might need the 4 way.