Buying Advice New Tractor Buyer - 9 acres mixed use- Advise??

/ New Tractor Buyer - 9 acres mixed use- Advise?? #1  

Anonymous Poster

Taking the plunge to buy a tractor. Have 1.5 acre of yard around the house to mow with no slope consideration, though some maneuver consideration around trees and about 6-7 of stump/rock gentle sloped free pasture. Pasture being slowly converted to strawberry and Blackberry bed's and ornamental tree plantings I need to till, and mow between. Have been looking at BX 2200, and B7500 series. Concerned BX2200 too small to work a tiller in turning a lot of beds, extensive field mowing between rows, though HP seems to be slightly greater than B7500. Like the low CG of BX2200, and finer cutting around the house. Planning on getting a FEL for use with organic matter, rear tiller, and debating merits of MMM of BX2200 vs rear mount mower of 7500 series. Wife wants a back-hoe and realize BX2200 doesn't have one, but think limited use would point me towards a rental for the limited pond work I've got to do. Have a couple of hundred fence posts to bore, and thought the BX2200 was somewhat limited in the auger department in terms of height for extraction. Would appreciate any advise the seasoned contributers have!

/ New Tractor Buyer - 9 acres mixed use- Advise?? #2  
Welcome to TBN,

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Wife wants a back-hoe ... )</font> pardon me, but, WOW! You're lucky, many of us on the board have to put ourselves into perpetual servitude to get the spousal unit to O.K. anything about the tractor. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Anyway, I would think that B7500 would be better suited to your uses. The BX units are great, but my "take" on them is that they are optimized for the home/estate owner. The B series is optimized for more agricultural applications. I'm basing this mostly on the extra ground clearance and the 3 pt. hitch issues.

Plus, the B7500 would allow the addition of a backhoe later, if you wished.

Personally, if finances allow, I'd recommend something a bit larger in the B series, but if not, the B7500 is a nice tractor. My recommendation for a larger tractor is based upon its ability to handle larger implements...greater loader capacity, larger backhoe (if your wife has her way)....larger tiller, mowers...etc.

The smaller tractors will do the same work, just take longer.

~Rick

/ New Tractor Buyer - 9 acres mixed use- Advise?? #3  
Although I am a dedicated BX lover, I've got to agree with Rick on this one. I think a B series would be better for you, especially if you decide on the RFM. I would second his advice about going bigger than the 7500. I realize that the 7500 has more torque than the BX, but if you are concerned about power to a tiller, I think a 2710,2910, or a 7800 would be a better choice.
Good Luck, Will

/ New Tractor Buyer - 9 acres mixed use- Advise?? #4  
BX22 comes with a backhoe. J

/ New Tractor Buyer - 9 acres mixed use- Advise??
I just made the same decision you are now debating. Note that the bx engine operates @ 3200 RPM to generate 22 HP; the b7500 21 HP @ 2600 RPM. Though HP is 1 less, the b7500 probably produces more torque. The bx is said to have a better finish mower than the b7500, but if using an RMM
the 7500 will be the better choice due to increased weight and longer wheel base. I doubt that the tiller is a problem for either machine as hp is the yardstick used to size them. Ground clearance is also a consideration; as you mentioned the bx is a little short to use w/ full length auger bits. The 7500 would not have this problem.

My decision to purchase a bx2200 hinged on its' low center of gravity: it is aparently one stable machine on hills. The mechanic at the dealer told me he took one up a slope that would scare the bejeezes out of anyone (I told him he was nuts!) and he said it was no sweat. Several posts here regarding stability on hills have reinforced my decision to buy the bx.
If stability is a serious consideration to the point that you would be better off with the bx than possibly rolling a machine, then the bx would probably be a better choice. Pucker factor or worse is not to be taken lightly. If slopes aren't as much a consideration as having the weight and power to get the job done without fighting a smaller machines' limitations then I'd say go for a 7500 or larger. I know its' a tough choice. Weigh the options and GO FOR IT. Good luck on whatever choice you make.
sincerely,
DaveL
P.S. Gosh I wish my wife wanted a bh. I'd have a bx22 /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif!

I have to agree that the BX2200 is very stable on slopes. Much of my property is 20 degrees with a few areas over 25 degrees. Today I parked on one of the 25 degree slopes and pushed on the top of the ROPS to see if the back wheel would lift. It did lift after I applied significant force. Even though it has a low center of gravity you need to be very cautious on slopes greater than 15 degrees.

Later in the day I was using the FEL to move some dirt in my garden (15 – 20 degree slope). This was the first time that I used the FEL to move dirt and I was quite impressed with the BX2200 capabilities. The more I used it the more confidant I became. About a half hour into the project I got sideways and the back tire came off the ground as I maneuvered to dump the bucket. The bucket was not high but the tractor nearly rolled. Needless to say, I was shook. I will never forget this incident and it will make me very cautious when I am using the FEL on slopes from now on. I hope that fellow TBNers just buying their first CUT will use my experience as a reminder to be cautious when using a FEL on slopes. Part of the reason that I was over confident is that I used to operate a Case farm tractor with a FEL on these same slopes and never had a problem before. I believe that small CUTs with their narrow tread and powerful engines are especially tricky to operate on a slope.

Be careful and where you seat belt.

John

JWE,
Glad to hear it was just a scare and not a whoops-e-doo. Having done the same thing a few times without a ROPS I understand that UH OH feeling. A few questions if I might:
Are your tires filled?
Was there an implement or any other ballast on the 3ph?
Did the machine give you any feedback (seat of the pants feel) before it tried to keel over?

I've got somewhat the same conditions and one of my projects will be to redo the veggie beds this spring. I've been looking at building a weight box (the one using a 22 gal storage container posted on this site is NEAT) but in the interest of keeping the weight as low as possible I may try to design a lower, longer unit that will help drop the machines' center of gravity.
Thanks for your post; I'd really appreciate any input you have on this subject.
sincerely,
DaveL

/ New Tractor Buyer - 9 acres mixed use- Advise?? #8  
I would take a serious look at the B2910 for your needs. We have one with a 60" mid mount mower & like the finish cut. The mower comes off fairly easy. The increased HP would be helpfull using an auger, & the loader capacity is 880#. You would have more implement options down the road. Also have a BX2200 & wouldn't consider using it for tilling, auger work. Overall the B2910 is a nice "gentleman farmer" tractor. Interest rates are very low so teh extra cost over the life of the loan is low as oppossed to buying a smaller tractor & then moving up later. In the end you have to decide on which is right, but demo all considered models & make an informed decision.

/ New Tractor Buyer - 9 acres mixed use- Advise?? #9  
Re: New Tractor Buyer - 9 acres mixed use- Advise?

Have you considered the landscapping arrangement as to spacing etc. when looking at the size of tractors? Bigger is always nicer but in some cases manuverability should also be considered.

If its real serious backhoe work bringing in a large machine with operator may be the way to go.

Egon

DaveL... Nothing in the tires yet but I plan to fill them with non-toxic anti-freeze. I did have a carry-all on the back with 240 pounds of limestone. I had the carry-all low to the ground. It happened very suddenly. I may have dropped the down-hill rear tire into a rut. As soon as I felt the wheel coming off the ground I dropped the bucket. I think that kept me from going all the way over.

I've spent a lot of hours using farm tractors with front loaders on these same hills. Never came that close to rolling. These CUTs with the narrow tread make them very susceptible roll over when using a FEL. I learned that lesson yesterday. Every piece of equipment has it's own limitations. It pays to proceed cautiously until you know the limitations.

Aside from the roll over lesson, I am extremely pleased with the BX2200. It sure is a workhorse. After yesterdays workout it no longer looks new. It's covered with mud.