Price Check L3940

/ L3940 #1  

mmmm1178

Looking to get a used L39. The ddealer I am working with is quoting it as: L3940 Cab tractor, LA724 loader with quick couper and front 3rd function hydraulics. Approx 425 hours. It s 2007. What do you guys think...is this a good price? $26,500

Last edited:
   / L3940 #2  
There are multiple versions of the L-3940 with the latest model a three. There were relocation of some of the controls to be more user freindly.

Depending on financing it might be a good idea to price new as well for a reference.

/ L3940 #3  
Just paid about $38K for a new L3940/HSTC with some options (3rd Valve Option, 4-in-1 bucket, quick disconnect, radio, and backup lights). I considered buying a used model, but then asked myself, if it broke (assuming I'd have no warranty coverage), how much would a few repairs cost me? I added those repair estimates to the used price and decided to go with a new one with a warranty.

/ L3940 #4  
Just paid about $38K for a new L3940/HSTC with some options (3rd Valve Option, 4-in-1 bucket, quick disconnect, radio, and backup lights). I considered buying a used model, but then asked myself, if it broke (assuming I'd have no warranty coverage), how much would a few repairs cost me? I added those repair estimates to the used price and decided to go with a new one with a warranty.

That is an $11,500 difference!! Sure is allot of repairs!! Philip.

/ L3940 #5  
Yes, that's a big difference, although that price difference included several options on my new one.

I just read in another thread someone paid $1300 for just flushing & changing of the Hydraulic fluid/filters. I would imagine a major engine or transmission repair could easily cost thousands of dollars. Buying anything used comes with a certain element of risk and the buyer rarely knows how well (or poorly) the tractor was taken care of. Roll the dice and hope for the best. Having low hours is a plus.

/ L3940 #6  
I just read in another thread someone paid $1300 for just flushing & changing of the Hydraulic fluid/filters.

Do you believe that?

I purchased 13.5 gallons of SUDT to refill my front axle and HST transmission. Cost of this 13.5 gallons was just under $300. I also purchased service filter kit for $150, but that included HST, hydraulic, air, fuel, and engine oil filters. So, for $450, I did the same service, plus much more on a L3940HST.

Don't believe everything you read, double check the things you doubt.

/ L3940 #7  
Looking to get a used L39. The ddealer I am working with is quoting it as: L3940 Cab tractor, LA724 loader with quick couper and front 3rd function hydraulics. Approx 425 hours. It s 2007. What do you guys think...is this a good price? $26,500

I have two used ones right now. 26,500 and 26,900. 200 hours, and 65 hours.