Looking for a 'bota

/ Looking for a 'bota #1  

iashkenes

Looking for a \'bota

Hi Everyone. I am a newbee looking to buy a tactor. I have almost 4 acres, about 1 acre of which is wooded. The rest of the property is fairly level, with a creek running through it that occassionally needs to be cleaned out.

I will mostly need a tractor for mowing, as I beat the heck out of my riding lawnmower. Seems I get close to 3 years worth of service from it before they die.

The work I anticipate doing with a tractor is:
building/maintaining 1/2 acre to acre of garden,
mowing (once a week during warm weather)
digging a foundation for a 3 car garage
snow removal
moving wood (yearly for our stove)
creek maintenance
and of course... the honey do list, i.e. building a stone patio, flower beds, etc.

I was thinking along the lines of a B7800 with a FEL, MMM, and possibly a back-hoe. Although the BX line seems fine, I am worried that the BX might be to small.

Any thoughts on if my sizing in the B7800 seems correct, and what would one go for with the implements I have chosen?

Thanks in advance to all,

Ira

/ Looking for a 'bota #2  
Re: Looking for a \'bota

Hi,

I would say a B7800 would be a good match. You might be able to go smaller, but if finances allow, I think you should get the most tractor that's practical for your property and finances. If you're the type that likes a few "creature comforts", than price a B2910 as well.

The cost for my B2910, loader, backhoe and posthole digger is over 2 1/2 years old, so probably not too relevant now. I believe a backhoe adds from $5000-$6000 depending upon manufacturer and size. Don't know about the MMM. Loader price is probably around $2500-$3000.

Pricing all the implements at the time you buy the tractor often results in better discounts, plus they can be financed in the same deal.

Have you been to your local dealer to try 'em out?

Good Luck,

~Rick

/ Looking for a 'bota #3  

Hi,

Like Rick, I also have a B2910.

I have just under four acres to deal with and I am really glad I went with this tractor/loader/backhoe.

Started with the bx, decided on a 2410, and at the last minute bought the 2910 as it was not that much more.

If the 7800 fits your budget, it will be a great tractor for your need, from what I can see.

/ Looking for a 'bota

Thank you both for your reply. I went to a couple of the sights mentioned in other threads, and it looks as if it will cost somewhere in the neighborhood of 17 - 21K for what I am looking for. Does this sound correct for northern virginia area?

It also looks as if the 2910 has a few more 'niceties' added for comfort. Are they worth it? I suppose the comforts will be worth it as I get into my 50s' and 60s', but as I am still in my mid 40s, and in fairly good shape, do I really need them? Would I be better off spending the few extra dollars on better implements? So many questions... so little time...lol.

Thanks to all who respond.

Ira

/ Looking for a 'bota #5  

At the time I bought my B2910, the B7800 wasn't available. I started looking at the B7500, then the B2410, B2710 and B2910. By the time I figured in the loader and backhoe cost and looked at the difference in monthly payments for the B2910 and factored in it's increased capabilities, I decided the B2910 was the best deal.

When I bought my tractor, I was 40. The next year I had developed a bizarre back infection that has left a permanent weakness in my lower back. I really appreciate the 3 pt. hitch hardware on the B2910, it saves a lot of grunt work when connecting implements. The suspension seat also was a welcome improvement. My smaller lawn tractor was painful to drive while the suspension seat in the B2910 allowed me to use the tractor with very little discomfort.

Fortunately, I'm mostly better now, but you never know when something else is going to happen. If finances allow, I would recommend the B2910.

~Rick

/ Looking for a 'bota

I just got back from my local Kubota dealer (Byrd Tractor in Manassas, VA), and now I am a little more confused than I was when I first started looking into this. Now I am not sure I need the back hoe, as it looks like the loader can be used for cleaning out my creek. I can always rent the back hoe for $175.00 per weekend, and that would mean I would have to use it over 30 times to make up for the purchase price. Don't know that I will have than many occasions to use it...

The salesman tried talking me out of the MMM for a RMM. I think now, after describing my land to him, he is right. I will never get a mid mount under the tree skirts that are so abundant on my property.

So...now its either the 7800 with a FEL and RMM, or a 2910 with the FEL and RMM....

Looks as if I am getting closer.

Ira 'just as confused as ever'

/ Looking for a 'bota #7  

Ira,

Right up the road from you is a dealer in Manassass. Have you visited them? They would be able to further quantify and qualify your needs.

You can see my profile for what I have and do.

-Mike Z.

Did I say B7800's RULE! somewhere? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Looking for a 'bota #8  

I'd say you are headed in the right direction with the 2910 and 402 loader. Its not much more money, and is sure one fine tractor...I really like mine. Unless you use a backhoe a lot, it would be cheaper to rent one for those special projects. Thats a lot of money to sit in the shed 363 days a year.

/ Looking for a 'bota #9  

Check out McMicheal of Warrenton. They sell Kubota out of Warrenton Virginia. That is who I am dealing with right now and he is making me a hell of a deal. You need to shop at atleast 3 dealers and having them working for you. You get the best deal. I am also looking at the 2910.

/ Looking for a 'bota #10  

If you don't mind a little drive about 1 hour and 15 minutes from Manassas, High View Sales in High View WVA just over the VA line outside of Winchester. When I was shopping I talked to Byrd, the dealer in Warrenton, Winchester Equipment and High View beat them all. If you are interested E-mail me and I will give you directions and a contact name.
Good luck I'm sure you are getting very anxious. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif