Buying Advice L3800 vs L3240 vs L3940

/ L3800 vs L3240 vs L3940 #1  

Dgoatrider

Tractor
Kubota l3800hst
Just priced what I think I need. 20acre farm goats cows. Need brush hog on steep hills clearing cedar trees all on hills move round bales driveway maintenance steep grade and dirt.
The L3800 is $19000 the L3940 is $25000 and third option is L3240 at $21000. The 3800 is in budget. The 3240 is close enough I can swing it the 3940 is hard to justify. Are the extras on the 32s worth the extra and is the change in HP (34- 37- 40) going to change my work ability. I like the beefier 32s just looking at them as I know I like to push the limit on all things. Wife says to get what I need for years to come don't plan to get another later or trade up

Liking the site also. And yes I saw the problems with raising the 3pt but one at dealer had no attach when checked

/ L3800 vs L3240 vs L3940 #2  
In my opinion , and its just that, an opinion, the 3240 at only $2000 more is a no-brainer. It has a lot of extra goodies, and most of them are actually usefull. As to the 3940, sure the extra horses and larger loader to go on it would be great, but If you cant afford it you cant afford it. my 2 centavos

James K0UA

/ L3800 vs L3240 vs L3940 #3  
The bottom line is only you can tell if the L40 Series is worth the extra money. As you know there are more differences than horse power with the L40s being considerably heavier and most significantly the HST+. You also get a really roomy, almost completely flat deck, tilt steering wheel, better seat and to me at least more comfortable seat. I also dislike the exposed tie rods on the Lxx00 Series.

Unless you are going to move stuff beyond the capability of the loader on the L3800, you will pretty much be able to do anything with it you can with the others, it just might take a bit longer in some cases.

When figured over a potentially lifetime of ownership the cost difference is pretty small.

My preference is the L40 Series in all cases for a CUT over 30 HP, but there are a lot of happy Lxx00 owners on here.

Last edited:
   / L3800 vs L3240 vs L3940 #4  
Buy the L3240....HST+ alone is worth it,also get extendable end links standard,smooth three point hitch.I hope you are talking small round bales.
I had a L3130 for four years,really liked it ,did every thing I asked...traded mostly for the Cab.

/ L3800 vs L3240 vs L3940 #5  
I've got a L3700SU which is very similar to the L3800. While the L3800 have the L3240 beat on PTO hp, the L3240 has it beat on weight and lifting. You'll have to decide on which areas to prioritize: budget, PTO hp, lifting capacity, etc.. The grand L are basically a full frame size bigger than the L-series and has the weight to match. Most of the attachments (like box blades, scrapers, mowers, etc.) on the L-series will be 5-6 foot, whereas the Grand-L will be 6-7 foot. THe grand L's are supposed to have a very nice HST setup over the L-series, but I am very happy with the HST performance on mine but I don't know any different. Looking at your tasks, such as moving round bales and earth work, if it is frequent enough, I would go with a grand L or L4400.

Have you looked at the L3540? or even the L4400?

Attachments also add up, for the difference in the L-series and grand-L's you could get a lot of attachments.

ps. I would really recommend trying an attachment on any of the L3x00-series. That way you could have some bargaining power to have the dealer fix/improve it before purchasing, if you do decide on that model and whether it is something you can deal with.

/ L3800 vs L3240 vs L3940 #6  
I am pretty sure the cruise control is extra on the L3800 while it is standard on the L40 Series; pretty sure anyway. I am not sure if you can get a third function valve on the 3800 and you can't get a Mid PTO on it either.

/ L3800 vs L3240 vs L3940 #7  
I am pretty sure the cruise control is extra on the L3800 while it is standard on the L40 Series; pretty sure anyway. I am not sure if you can get a third function valve on the 3800 and you can't get a Mid PTO on it either.

Cruise is extra on the L3800HST, unlike the older L3400HST that included it. No factory 3rd function, but of course you could add it yourself, but no financing it in. No mid PTO available on L3800

James K0UA

/ L3800 vs L3240 vs L3940 #8  
Just priced what I think I need. 20acre farm goats cows. Need brush hog on steep hills clearing cedar trees all on hills move round bales driveway maintenance steep grade and dirt.

This may be the hold up on any of the tractors you mentioned.

But that all depends on the size of the round bales, wether ot not you need to stack/unstack them, and wether you will be moving them with the loader or 3PH.

If they are the full-sized bales, and stacking/unstacking (loader) are a must, I dont think any of the tractors are going to be up to the task. I think you need a MX5100 @ minimum.

But if the bales are smaller, or 3PH only to move them, any of the tractors should fit the bill nicely.

As you mentioned, the xx40 series are beefier and heavier and have more lift capacities. But if none of the work requires maxing out the lift, the extra HP of the L3800 might come in handy while bushhogging.

Since I have not driven a GrandL40 series, I would recomend you test them both. Because we all can compair specs, weights, lift capacities, etc, and can see that the 3240 is a little superior to the 3800, but wether it is 2k superior will depend on the things we cant see on paper. The luxuries and features like already mentioned, HST+, flat deck, etc.

So I'd suggest to give them all a good test drive. And I would probabally also get a quote on the L4400 as well. It is real close in size, weight, and lift capacities as the grand L's, but a fair bit more power.

And you REALLY need to look at your round bale situation

/ L3800 vs L3240 vs L3940 #9  
Main reason I would go for the GL is the LA724 loader. I have the L3400 and it does everything I have asked of it - including moving around 4x5 bales for feeding. I can stack two high as well. Anything higher than that and you needs something bigger.

Either the L3400 that I have or a GL3xxx series will handle 4x5 bales occasionally. I think the $2k is well spent for the extras. At the same time I can't tell you that my L3400 has not done everything I have thrown at it.

I will say that you will not regret bigger. I think the MX that was recommended earlier is worth looking at as is the L4400. I'm thinking about a new one with a cab and I am looking at the L4240 - biggest reason being the next step up in the loader.

/ L3800 vs L3240 vs L3940 #10  
The two things I liked the most about the GL's was the different HST pedal and the loader control position.