L3000DT 4x4 - right choice?

/ L3000DT 4x4 - right choice? #1  

PhilVA

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3000DT, Kubota B2320HST
First, thanks for lots of great info. It sure makes it easier to make a purchase like this with lots of good information.

Here's what I have:
37 acres, approxiamtely 1/2 wooded and the other 1/2 is currently a recently harvested peanut field. We'll be building our new home on roughly 1-2 acres. The rest of the open land will be split between pasture (about 10 acres) for horses and a 5 acres for hay.

I know I'll need the FEL and and brush hog. I'm looking to getting a used auger for doing the fence poles. My question is this, am I looking at the right choice in tractors for the jobs and size of land? Any other choices in tractors? Are there any other implements I should look into?

Obviously, I'd like to get the proper tool for the job and am willing to spend the right amount of dollars to get it done. I'm not rich by any means, just want to put my hard earned dollars to the best use. Thanks for taking the time to read this. I welcome and appreciate all responses.

/ L3000DT 4x4 - right choice? #2  
Phil, I would look at numerous tractors and decide for yourself. I Personally think you should look a bit larger. If you're sure you want a Kubota with gear tranny, (please check numerous threads on this topic) I would go for the L4300DT. I would also check out the Korean counterparts. Mahindra, Century/Branson and Kioti. Going with a hydro changes things a bit. In the lower powered units, the TC 30 New Holland is a very nice no frills unit as is the B7800 Kubota. I would go bigger personally. JD 4610, NH TC40D and Kubota L3830 would be at the top of my hydro wish list. Just realize you're getting up there in price, over $20K, but you won't look back wishing you had bought bigger which happens all too often when purchasing a CUT of any color!
Have fun shopping, it's almost as much fun!
Pacesetter

/ L3000DT 4x4 - right choice? #3  
Phil,

Welcome to TBN. From what you tell me you may want to think a little bit bigger. But if you are planning on doing your finish mowing around your house when it is done I wouldn't go any larger. 30 horsepower is getting up there. Unless your set on Kubota go out and test drive a few other tractors. Most people here are going to tell you to be really comfortable with your dealer before signing on that line. The other thing you may want to do is some research here for Hydro versus tranny. If your doing a lot of loader work and finish mowing you will find that you can get a lot more done with hydro. The tractor you listed I don't think comes with a hydro option but Kubota does have them in their other lines.

murph

/ L3000DT 4x4 - right choice? #4  
Unless you're planning on finish mowing your lawn, I think this would be a great tractor for your situation. Personally, I prefer a hydro--you might check out a B7800. They should be priced about the same and are the same HP in a bit smaller frame, but the hydro and step-thru-deck are very nice features. As far as a good, basic tractor for a good price, the L3000 is a great choice. On a side note I find it interesting that most people always recomend getting a bigger tractor than you think you need, and as a dealer we find that we talk a lot of our customers into smaller tractors /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. Seems a bit backwards, maybe we need to change our sales stategy /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Most people that haven't been around compact 4x4's are amazed at what that "cute,little" tractor will do /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif.

/ L3000DT 4x4 - right choice? #5  
Well philva as a owner and operator of a L3000dt i will say my 2 cents.
I have been very happy with mine. i have even found times when the tractor had the power just not the weight to do a particular job. but you will find this on any tractor. I own 17 acres and have been busy cleaning up after our southern ice storm of three years ago that the previous owner didnt.
I have pulled many dead trees to burn piles . using a chain and the tractor. i have been surprised at the size of trees it will pull and it doesnt even groan.
I like the gear transmission but can see where a hydro would be nice. to me not nice enough to pay the extra.
Now i have brushhogged a 40 acres field with it and it will do the job. i have cut the same field with a ford 3600 and the 3000 does it just as well.
so it will work your amount of property.
the 4300dt was mentioned and it to would be a great choice. i think the real decision is what type of drive do you want. oh and how much you want to pay!
I don't need digital display! it doesnt make my fields look any better! i can push in a clutch and set the throttle and ride while the machine does it's job. and while doing this i don't cringe at how much i paid. (well not much)

I know my dealer sells lots of the 3000dt's and he sells lots of the other models. but hey he sells kubota's !! need i say more on that!

Oh and implements. i have this atlas box blade and you won't find it mentioned much on here. but i will assure you the one i have is TOUGH!! those trees i have been dragging ! have been done attached to it!
i started by attaching a chain once to move one and just kept on.
as crazy as it sounds i have been waiting to have to repair a break. but no! i would recommend one knowing what i know now. far less than other favorites listed often on here.

Anyway in my opinion your on the right path thinking kubota!