Kubota GL3x40 Series vs JD 3x20 Series??

/ Kubota GL3x40 Series vs JD 3x20 Series?? #1  

TMR

Gold Member
Hello All...curious if the GL3x40 Kubota is the closest "comparison" to the JD 3x20 Series?

If so...what are you thoughts...probably will post on both forums.

BTW...I am looking at FEL/Box Blade/Brush Hog and maybe MMM...would like to keep attachments at 60" is not too big a problem.

Plan on working in the woods making/grooming trails...brush hogging 3-4 acre field once a year...removing some 15 year old pine stumps and whatever else I learn along the way :)

What are your thoughts...Thanks...TMR

/ Kubota GL3x40 Series vs JD 3x20 Series?? #2  
Maybe it's not quite that simple. Kubota has more models in the 30-50 hp range than Deere, so there's a bit more flexibility in choosing a configuration that meets your work requirements. These are my descriptions only:

The standard L series offers no-frills, general use machines.
The MX series offers no-frills, higher capability farm utility machines.
The grand L series offers higher capability, full-featured machines.

The Deere lineup doesn't have quite that kind of overlap... the 3000's go up to the low 40 hp range and the 4000's are 40 hp and up.

I could be wrong, but believe the 30-40 hp Grand L's out spec the Deere models in some measures, at least on paper. That may or may not have anything to do with how the machines work on the ground, and that's why going by the specs is only part of the story. You owe to yourself to actually operate them and let that help you decide. You'll get a good machine from either company.

/ Kubota GL3x40 Series vs JD 3x20 Series?? #3  
60" will be too small of the GL, the rear tires are wider than that. The GL's are great but if you're looking for 60" wide then I would look at the B series.

/ Kubota GL3x40 Series vs JD 3x20 Series??
60" will be too small of the GL, the rear tires are wider than that. The GL's are great but if you're looking for 60" wide then I would look at the B series.

Thanks Crazyal...do you say that because 1) you want the rear attachment to overlap the tread pattern by a few inches on each side...or 2) because the larger machine is just not necessary when matched with a 60" attachment?

Seems like the GL 3240 and 3540 are not much larger than the 60" attachment coverage.

Is the attachment "overlap" kind of a key operating feature...sorry I have never owned or used a tractor other than my faith full (but abused) Craftsman 42"...which does overlap a bit :)

I guess my point is that I may be willing to spend the money to get GL in the smallest frame size if it makes any sense. I did like the B2630 I drove today (they did not have a B3030). Is the B3030 a better choice than the B2630...same frame?

On the other hand is an L3200 a better alternative than either B...or do you get a wider tire width with the L3200??

Thanks...TMR

/ Kubota GL3x40 Series vs JD 3x20 Series?? #5  
Here is a post I made a couple years back that I copy and paste at times like these:

I got some money from a land sale and wanted to retire my 1950 Ford 8N. I did not care which color, just wanted best value from reptuable brand.

Conditions: 40-ish horsepower, HST trans, R3 tires, front snow blade.

1st looked at new holland 3040. Pros: Buddy has one that I have used a little and liked. Great reputaion. Has connection back to Ford. Cons: Dealer 20 miles away. $26230.

2nd looked at JD 3720. Pros: Have two JD lawn mowers and like. Great reputation. Great parts availability. Dealer 15 miles away (but only 2 miles from work). Cons: Everyone and thier brother has one (I like to be different). 3 cylinder turbo (I did not want 3 cylinder or turbo). Smaller frame. $24700.

3rd looked at Kubota L3940. Pros: Great reputation. HST+ features. Dealer 3 miles away. Cons: There aren't any! $23080 (connectionos with dealer may have led to better price)

Briefly looked at MF but did not seriously consider.

IMO, Kubota was best value for money within the brands I thought as most reptuable and dependable, and closest dealer. Enough cannot be said for a close dealer, no matter what manufacturer you choose.

I have had my L3940 for a year and a half now. Drove buddy's NH a few months back, still a nice tractor, but not as nice as my L3940 with HST+. Went to State Fair last fall and sat on JD3720 to make sure I made right decision. I did make the right decision, JD3720 felt small, has small tires, and stickers on dash were pealing off. Mechanically, I am sure the JD3720 is a good tractor, just was not right for my application (plus everyone and their brother has a green tractor, I like to be different).

Philip

PS, Still have the 8N. NOT FOR SALE!

In addition to your post, If you want to stay with 60" implements I would go with a smaller tractor, yes, to be wider than your tire pattern. All my implements for my 8N and L3940 are 72" or wider.

Attached is a comparison sheet. Modify it to fit your use.

Good luck, Philip.

/ Kubota GL3x40 Series vs JD 3x20 Series?? #6  
Sorry for ignoring your question about 60" implements. The GL's are physically larger tractors, even the lower hp models. Considering weight, size, lifting power, tire size, etc., they match up to larger attachments... 72" in many cases. The GL 3240 is better with a 60" brush cutter, due to horsepower, for example, but would handle a 72" box blade.

Interested in why you'd want a 60" box blade instead of a 72". Space limitations, budget, already have some 60" stuff or ??

If you take a tire kicking trip to the dealer, you'll see the GL's have a larger "presence" than a B or even a standard L. If you will be working in tight quarters, the B size would be a better match for those 60" implements.

Interested in why you'd want a 60" box blade instead of a 72". Space limitations, budget, already have some 60" stuff or ??

If you take a tire kicking trip to the dealer, you'll see the GL's have a larger "presence" than a B or even a standard L. If you will be working in tight quarters, the B size would be a better match for those 60" implements.

Thanks Grandad...size and maneuverability...also handling a 72" when not on the tractor or when doing maintenance on it looks intimidating...they are big and heavy. I guess you end up using the tractor to help...maybe front forks.

Mostly its the question of trails that many would need to be widened a bit to work with a 72" pto implement and the trees I will be working/cutting around. Also, most of what I do "speed" will not be the primary criteria...ie 3-4 acre field that gets cut once a year...now probably takes total of say 12-14 hours with my poor 25HP Craftsman...even with a 48" brush hog that would take no time in comparison.

I am in the "bigger is better" camp and want sturdy as I think my use may be somewhat rough...ie; rough terrain and rough soil...as I venture into "untamed" areas to create new trails/pull out old stumps etc.

I AM struggling with size...I do think there is a balance and it appears the "proper" choice os attachment may lead the way to an answer.

That is...IF I want to stick to 60" due to above...what is the strongest tractor with a frame and tier width that would allow some overlap of tire width??

Thank...TMR

P.S. I seem to recall some "complaints" that the 3x20 JDs had a bit narrow width and there was some concern about stability on hills?...maybe they are good 60" tractors? TMR

In addition to your post, If you want to stay with 60" implements I would go with a smaller tractor, yes, to be wider than your tire pattern. All my implements for my 8N and L3940 are 72" or wider.

Good luck, Philip.

Thanks Philip...that is the key to my question...for those who have "been there"...is being "wider than your tire pattern" pretty much a game breaker for you??? Comments please> TMR

/ Kubota GL3x40 Series vs JD 3x20 Series?? #9  
TMR said:
I am in the "bigger is better" camp and want sturdy as I think my use may be somewhat rough...ie; rough terrain and rough soil...as I venture into "untamed" areas to create new trails/pull out old stumps etc.

I AM struggling with size...I do think there is a balance and it appears the "proper" choice os attachment may lead the way to an answer.

That is...IF I want to stick to 60" due to above...what is the strongest tractor with a frame and tier width that would allow some overlap of tire width??

Thank...TMR

P.S. I seem to recall some "complaints" that the 3x20 JDs had a bit narrow width and there was some concern about stability on hills?...maybe they are good 60" tractors? TMR

Been down this road before, there is no right or wrong answer.

60" is sweet for tight maneuvers, especially when coupled to a high output motor and HST, its a very capable size... 3800 would make sense but considering your 3ph use, you may be disappointed with the 3ph 'refinement' of the base L tractors.

If you're considering a L40, a B would seem too small considering your stance on 'bigger'

The small L40 can be tucked in to 66" with R1's but, for 6" additional width with R4's you gain considerable ballast / stability.

One last consideration of the L40 is the incredibly smooth and versatile HST+ and a much more substantial FEL.

I've used 60" machines and 72" machines on lots of half to one acre, a lot can be said for the power and weight of the larger tractor.

My .02

T

/ Kubota GL3x40 Series vs JD 3x20 Series?? #10  
...also handling a 72" when not on the tractor or when doing maintenance on it looks intimidating...they are big and heavy. I guess you end up using the tractor to help...maybe front forks.

Mostly its the question of trails that many would need to be widened a bit to work with a 72" pto implement and the trees I will be working/cutting around.

You've got something of a dilemma regarding size, allright. The work you're doing would absolutely benefit from the added size and lifting power of the GL's, but you've got tight maneuvering issues on your trails, where the B size would fit better. I can only suggest you find some way to demo a couple of machines at your place... maybe you've got a cooperative dealer or could rent, etc... and use the experience to judge which way to go.

Manhandling the implements can give you a hernia whether you've got 60" or 72". Heck, even my 48" box blade weighs about 400lbs. Best solution for me was concrete floor and dollies for everything, so it's easy to roll them around. Others have had success with the quick attach setups, but arranging a flat, level pad is job one, as they say.

Wish there were a simple formula to follow, but finding the right combination of equipment often ends up being a trial and error process because everyone's situation is unique.

I'm thinking these same issues arise whether you go green or orange in your purchase.