Tractor
    B7100DT

Default Tractor for 10 wooded acres...

Looking to invest in a used small tractor for my 10 acre level property with a 100 yard long driveway. I'd like to use it to thin out trees, clear pathway for my young kids to ride their bikes (and ATV's later), and manage snow in the winter in the Spokane area. What would you get if you had a budget of $7,000?

Tractor
    Kubota's, John Deere's

Default Re: Tractor for 10 wooded acres...

Welcome to TBN, are you looking at used or new, and how big, how many, trees?

Tractor
    B7100DT

Quote Originally Posted by riptides
    Welcome to TBN, are you looking at used or new, and how big, how many, trees?
    Thanks,

Looking for used. I think a small tractor would fit the bill to do light work. Trees are pine & fir, somewhat dense lot, and the biggest diameter sized trees are 20"-24".

Tractor
    Kubota B7800

kubota B series would fit the bill nicely. Less than five feet wide with adequate ground clearance. I use a B-7800 in this role.

"As you go through life, make this your goal: watch the donut, not the hole"

Kubota B7800
    BH-75A Backhoe
    Rhino 60'' finish mower

Tractor
    CT235

Your budget is on the low side but you'll never know....
    2010 CT235 with Bobtach, Rear Remotes, FEL, Kioti 60" Boxblade, 36" Fork, Snow-Sport Snow Plow, Wally BX42 Chipper, Land Pride LR 1584, Land Pride RB 1584, Gator 48" Grapple, HTL, Woods BH7500, HF 3PT Hitch Quick Attach, HF 3PT Hitch (Modified to work with BobTach in Front)
    CT 235 traded for CT 440 with free 72" snow blower...

Tractor
    Fordson Major Diesel, McCormick Deering W4, Ford 1510, John Deere L111

The older Ford 15XX-17XX series tractors are also worth considering. They're tough, dependable and can sometimes be found for decent prices. I work the snot out of my 1510 and am very pleased with it.
    When deciding what brand you want, you may want to consider what kind of dealers you have in your area. All the major brands are good. so dealer support is key.

Joe
    Fordson Major Diesel: Case 3-bottom Trip Plow, Case 12' Trip Field Cultivator, Kewanee 130 Disc, John Deere 1209 Mower Conditioner, John Deere 594LW Side Delivery Rake, New Holland Hayliner 273 Baler, 18' Spike-Tooth Harrow
    Ford 1510: Du-Al 105 Loader, "The Thumb" Grapple, Bush Hog RBC60 Rear Blade, Woods HC54 Rotary Cutter, Tarter 5' Heavy-Duty Hinge Back Box Blade, Buhler Farm King Y600 Snowblower

Tractor
    Kubota's, John Deere's

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamoose View Post
    Thanks,

Looking for used. I think a small tractor would fit the bill to do light work. Trees are pine & fir, somewhat dense lot, and the biggest diameter sized trees are 20"-24".
    Well, when I bought my B7800 I had envisioned it for the exact work that you hope to accomplish, minus the snow.

I basically used a FEL and landscape rake to thin out some areas with trees of that size. I found the ground clearance of the 7800 to be just perfect. Back then, I had rolling hills to contend with too. So the weight and size were once again, spot on. Of course I had done a ton of reading on TBN once I narrowed down the "Class", "Size", and "HP" of what i was looking for.

Unfortunate, I don't think 7k is going to be a price point even for used on that class of machine. You might have to add a couple of grand. I would not, IMHO, go smaller than that "type" of tractor for what you seek to accomplish. But others will tell you it is all relative.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3130DT

If you are thinking loader, seriously consider 4 wheel drive. I originally had a kubota L185 Dt with a loader and couldn't imagine using the loader without 4x4. I sold it for well inside your budget. It was old but it did remarkable work.