Buying Advice Tractor for 10 wooded acres...

/ Tractor for 10 wooded acres... #1  

Aquamoose

Platinum Member
Tractor
Branson 3520h
Looking to invest in a used small tractor for my 10 acre level property with a 100 yard long driveway. I'd like to use it to thin out trees, clear pathway for my young kids to ride their bikes (and ATV's later), and manage snow in the winter in the Spokane area. What would you get if you had a budget of $7,000?

/ Tractor for 10 wooded acres... #2  
Welcome to TBN, are you looking at used or new, and how big, how many, trees?

/ Tractor for 10 wooded acres...
riptides said:
Welcome to TBN, are you looking at used or new, and how big, how many, trees?

Thanks,

Looking for used. I think a small tractor would fit the bill to do light work. Trees are pine & fir, somewhat dense lot, and the biggest diameter sized trees are 20"-24".

/ Tractor for 10 wooded acres... #4  
Kubota B series would fit the bill nicely. Less than five feet wide with adequate ground clearance. I use a B-7800 in this role.

/ Tractor for 10 wooded acres... #5  
Your budget is on the low side but you'll never know....

/ Tractor for 10 wooded acres... #6  
The older Ford 15XX-17XX series tractors are also worth considering. They're tough, dependable and can sometimes be found for decent prices. I work the snot out of my 1510 and am very pleased with it.
When deciding what brand you want, you may want to consider what kind of dealers you have in your area. All the major brands are good. so dealer support is key.

Joe

/ Tractor for 10 wooded acres... #7  
Thanks,

Looking for used. I think a small tractor would fit the bill to do light work. Trees are pine & fir, somewhat dense lot, and the biggest diameter sized trees are 20"-24".

Well, when I bought my B7800 I had envisioned it for the exact work that you hope to accomplish, minus the snow. :)

I basically used a FEL and landscape rake to thin out some areas with trees of that size. I found the ground clearance of the 7800 to be just perfect. Back then, I had rolling hills to contend with too. So the weight and size were once again, spot on. Of course I had done a ton of reading on TBN once I narrowed down the "Class", "Size", and "HP" of what i was looking for.

Unfortunate, I don't think 7k is going to be a price point even for used on that class of machine. You might have to add a couple of grand. I would not, IMHO, go smaller than that "type" of tractor for what you seek to accomplish. But others will tell you it is all relative.

/ Tractor for 10 wooded acres... #8  
If you are thinking loader, seriously consider 4 wheel drive. I originally had a Kubota L185 Dt with a loader and couldn't imagine using the loader without 4x4. I sold it for well inside your budget. It was old but it did remarkable work.