Comparison Bx or B? That is the question...

/ Bx or B? That is the question... #1  

cfdwarrior

I am in the market to purchase my first "tractor", have had riding lawn mowers in the past and currently have a zero turn. I want something that can be used for multi purpose and will not jar the living daylights out of my kidneys when I mow the lawn. I currently have about 4 acres, mostly flat, some trees and a fence. I also have a driveway that is about 220ft long that will need snow removal ( I live in NE Ohio). I have a garden that is roughly 60x60 and I also want to use the machine for light landscaping in my land and another five acre lot. I have narrowed my choice down to Kubota. The question is...do I go with the BX 2360/2660 or the B 2320/2620? The BX is definitely priced better for me, but I could swing the B if I really wanted to. I will be initially going with a MMM and a loader. I don't want TOO much tractor, but I also want to make sure I have enough for what I want to do. I am on vacation until Sept 22 and when I return I plan on making my purchase. Any thoughts, advice, or suggestions are welcome! Thank you ahead of time....this is my first post!

/ Bx or B? That is the question...
Thanks for the link! It still makes me wonder what to do though. I think that there are good arguments for both. I was looking at the BX2360 to begin with, however the B2320 caught my eye (not sure if I need the "26" in either model). I have talked to many people that say for my needs to BX will do it all. I guess sitting on a higher platform and having the larger rear tires were appealing to me. When it comes to performance, it seems they are both pretty capable. More input please!

/ Bx or B? That is the question... #4  
Thanks for the link! It still makes me wonder what to do though. I think that there are good arguments for both. I was looking at the BX2360 to begin with, however the B2320 caught my eye (not sure if I need the "26" in either model). I have talked to many people that say for my needs to BX will do it all. I guess sitting on a higher platform and having the larger rear tires were appealing to me. When it comes to performance, it seems they are both pretty capable. More input please!
Here is the more input. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/148830-b3200-bx2660-side-side-not.html If you can't decide after the article by BP and the input on this one, your never going to decide. I've bought 13 Kubotas from the smallest BX up to an L3240HST. The biggest difference between the BX and B is ground clearance. Look at the side by side pics. You can only learn so much from reading. Read these two threads and then stop reading and asking and go set your butt on them to make your final decision. While on vacation, look for Orange and stop in.

/ Bx or B? That is the question... #5  
Here is the more input. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/148830-b3200-bx2660-side-side-not.html If you can't decide after the article by BP and the input on this one, your never going to decide. I've bought 13 Kubotas from the smallest BX up to an L3240HST. The biggest difference between the BX and B is ground clearance. Look at the side by side pics. You can only learn so much from reading. Read these two threads and then stop reading and asking and go set your butt on them to make your final decision. While on vacation, look for Orange and stop in.

Welcome to TBN!!! I bought a BX24 back in 2007, a fantastic machine for it size, but if I know what I know today I would gone for the B series, because of the ground clearnce as Johnthomas say. If you ever think of doing work in the woods (I dont know if you have that) go for the B series, more ground clearance AND bigger wheels. Good luck and hope you find what you looking for;)

/ Bx or B? That is the question... #6  
I would recommend the B2320 (that's what I bought). I also live in NE OH and the loader will be a nice tool to get Lake Erie off the driveway. The B is more tractor, larger frame, wheels, and a closed hydraulic cooling system (instead of a plastic fan that blows on the trans - I can't believe Kubota went with that.) The Cat I three point hitch also opens it up to a lot more attachments than the BX's Cat 0.

/ Bx or B? That is the question... #7  
samofsweden said:
... I know what I know today I would gone for the B series, because of the ground clearnce as Johnthomas say...;)

1+ on this. In my view, the most substantive difference between the two is ground clearance.

/ Bx or B? That is the question... #8  
I had a BX22 TLB with MMM and rear bagger, it was a fantastic machine for maintaining a 3 acre property. Mowing was a pleasure and almost fun. My sister and meat head X husband bought a B7500 with a front loader MMM and a bagger at the same time. The B did have a bit more ground clearance and maybe a bit stronger loader but for mowing it was no where near as good. The wider tires will lay the grass down as you mow. Now if I was going to stomp through the woods all day than the B would be a better choice. But for a yard machine it is tough to beat the BX

/ Bx or B? That is the question... #9  
The difference is obvious, isn't it? The consternation escapes me, personally. They share much, much more than they differ. Having had both, it is right there in front of one's eyes.

The B has virtually TWICE the real world ground clearance. It has stronger hydraulics, a 3 speed trans, and a much better dash board and no HST fan to worry about. That's it.

The BX has a low center of gravity (thus half the ground clearance). That is either a negative or a positive. It's different. Not better, not worse, in and of itself, just IS.

It is all about your needs, flat out simple. The B2320 (rated at a lower RPM has the same D1005 engine as the BX2660 (rated at a higher RPM). Same - same. And, the price difference is tiny, around $500, that's it. So money shouldn't be the HUGE deciding factor.

Would I personally ever go back to a BX, after having a B2320? Sure. Absolutely, if my needs changed. But..... Kubota would have to follow Deere's new 1000 series and make some improvements and updates. If so? Sure, I'd go "back" to a BX. But not right now....:D

/ Bx or B? That is the question... #10  
I have the B2620, and I am not sure if I would go with anything less for the extra HP and ground clearance. Ground clearance is important, and there is nothing you can do to add it later. When I looked at the BX, garden tractor on steroids was what I thought. It is quite a little beast, and I was impressed with the brochure, but seeing it in person made me wonder if t would do what I needed. I was looking at something that could get around in wet clay. I had bottomed out a rented bobcat trying to move some dirt, and bottomed out my mid sized 4x4 truck in the snow last winter and n 2007. I was hoping what ever I got could get around without bottoming out in snow or mud so I could pull stuff out if I need to. Almost went to a small L series, but then I saw the B's. I love that little tractor. I think it has more ground clearance than the older B series I see for sale used on the dealer lot.

If you are mowing mostly open area, I would highly recommend ditching the idea of the MMM. They add a lot of cost, and don't hold their value except as part of your specific tractor. A RFM can be used on any other brand, and sold/upgraded/repaired for cheaper than a specific MMM deck can. My FIL has a belly mower on his John Deere tractor, and he's hit stumps and things with it that eventually made it hard to remove from the tractor. If you aren't worried about getting around in tight spaces, or have a smaller rider to do the edges, an RFM is great.

The extra HP is great for dirt engaging work and PTO implements. It seams that the B2620 is right at the place where the HP and weight balance out. If I had gone with the B2920, I doubt I would ever run out of HP, but the larger mowers and things would be too heavy without adding all kinds of weight to the tractor. If I had gone with the B2320, I would have to use the smaller attachments which seam small for the frame size.