Help me making a final decision L4740 vs M7040

/ Help me making a final decision L4740 vs M7040 #1  

canoetrpr

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040 cab/hyd shuttle - current, Kubota L3400 - traded
I've finally narrowed down which dealer I am going to be dealing with. I had a great visit at a local dealer today who took a lot of time with me to understand my needs and to make suggestions.

I test drove a L5740 and M7040 side by side on his lot so that I could compare.

I won't get into exactly how it works out this way but because of strange tax laws here the M7040 and any implements purchased as part of the sale are exempt from 13% sales tax. The L4740 or L5740 would not be.

The result is:
L5740 is $1028 MORE than the M7040
L4740 is $4500 LESS than the M7040

I think I have decided that it does not make sense to go with the 5740 at these prices as a L4740 will do everything I need (6ft RC, 6.5ft blower, same loader etc).

So it is down to a GL4740 HST+ vs M7040 hydraulic shuttle for a difference of $4500.

My dealer's opinion is that without a doubt he would go with the M7040 in my situation.

Pros for the GL4740:
- Better fuel economy (I'll be using the same size implements on each)
- Controls seem a bit more refined. I really like the hi-lo on the steering with the HST+.
- HST which I am very used to
- Smaller turning radius - but I don't really have any REAL tight areas.

Pros for the M7040
- Likely to be the last tractor I purchase on this property or for the next. I will likely be looking at a trade on the GL whenever I get more land which is probably in the next 5 years or so.
- Better for round bales (although I only use 4x5s so far)
- Better resale value if I ever do sell as you never get taxes back

My largest concern is the learning curve on the hydraulic shuttle and the fact that it will never really be as great as the HST for loader work. I spent 15 min with each tractor and did get to the point where I was OK with the M7040 although it is VERY hard to judge how I would view the difference after completing the learning curve. The one thing that I did not like about the M was that it felt jump as once you were in the right gear speed was controlled by the foot throttle.

My dealer's opinion is that I will get over the learning curve in no time.

Right now I have a 27 acre property with only about 10 acres of pasture and a dozen head of cattle who I feed round bales to in the winter. Next year I might rent some nearby pasture to support more cattle and in the future I hope to move up to 50-100 acres some day.

I hope to decide within the week so I'd REALLY appreciate your thoughts.

/ Help me making a final decision L4740 vs M7040
In case it makes any difference both are CAB models. The price difference I quoted above takes into account the cost of trading in existing skid steer spear and forks and purchasing Euro style ones.

/ Help me making a final decision L4740 vs M7040 #3  
Hmmm, I would go with the M7040. I've played with a buddy of mine 7040 cab model and it was NICE machine. The 4740 is nice also as you know. My choice of the 7040 is simply more HP, it will be there when you need it. You know the saying here at TBN, "can never have enough HP".

/ Help me making a final decision L4740 vs M7040 #4  
The one thing I can comment on is the HST vs the hydraulic shuttle. For most farm oriented tasks the hyd. shuttle works just as well as the HST. Unloading and stacking round bales, cleaning out pens, loading manure, etc all are handled as easily with the hyd shuttle as the HST. Where HST is nice is in more construction related work, things where going slow and doing precise work is important. Think finish grading, setting trusses, working in confined areas, lining up an auger or post driver, etc. The hyd shuttle trans is certainly capable of this, as with any manual transmission, but when you are doing that type of work over and over all day long HST makes it more enjoyable. Bottom line, for a tractor to do the farm related work you described I wouldn't hesitate to get the hydraulic shuttle shift.

/ Help me making a final decision L4740 vs M7040 #5  
One more thing to consider. The 7040 has more ground clearance and is less likely to get stuck. Last year I could not get my 5240 with R4s and chains to go up my neighbors snowed in (1 1/2 to 2 feet) paved road, not even with the plow up. I took out his 7040 and it climbed right up the road with no problem. Later in the winter he plowed a snowmobile trail in his field with the 7040. There is no way I could have driven the 5240 in that field without getting stuck.

The HST is easier to use where you are constantly starting, slowly creeping and stopping like when mowing around obstacles but for most other uses the hydraulic shuttle shift is pretty easy to use.

The 7040 is also a much bigger, stronger tractor than the L by any measure (FEL capacity, 3 pt capacity, size of components in the rear end, cab size).

/ Help me making a final decision L4740 vs M7040 #6  
Yep if size does not matter then go with the 7040. Much more tractor, bigger tires, more hp, more loader capacity etc , etc. You will get use to the hydr-shuttle in no time. It is better for pull loads too.:thumbsup:

/ Help me making a final decision L4740 vs M7040 #7  
A very pleasant dilemma, indeed. Seems to me, it tilts in favor of the 7040, though. You'd probably take some kind of financial hit buying the 4740 and then trading it in a few years, but you'd get to amortize the cost of ownership over a longer period if you bought the 7040 straight away.

The 4740 HST is indeed very nice, but the hyd shuttle setup is used by countless farmers and does all they want from it. Unless you're a total FEL maniac (I might qualify for that :D), or think the L would get you into places the M wouldn't fit, you'll do fine on the 7040.

I guess you could just buy both... so many reasons, such as having a second tractor handy, being able to jump in the 4740 when you have a nostalgic HST moment :laughing:, etc.

Good luck with your choice. We'll be waiting for pics of your selection.

/ Help me making a final decision L4740 vs M7040 #8  
I ended up in the same decisition. What made my mind up was the ground clearance and weight, I wanted a tractor that I can "grow" with, a tractor that can do things you for the moment can figure out. As you say, you might buy other farm which is bigger in a couple of years, then you dont have to start everything buying a new tractor. And the M7040HD are more of a "real" farm tractor. Dont get me wrong now L owners. As many said before, if you plan to do farm "stuff" with your tractor the M7040HD is perfect. If you plan to do alot of landscaping go for the L. I planing to buy a "wood trailer" with a crane and do foresty work on my farm thats why I went for a M7040HD. Exuse bad spelling sometimes I could answer in Swedish but I wouldnt get any answers...;)

M M M M M:thumbsup:

/ Help me making a final decision L4740 vs M7040 #9  
hands down id go with the 7040 hydro shuttle,like the HST its a heck of alot easier on your knees.if an i say if i get to buy another tractor id like to have a 6040 7040 or 8540 hydro shuttle tractor.

/ Help me making a final decision L4740 vs M7040 #10  
Canoe if you declare farm revenues then you can get back all or some of those taxes on the under 60 HP tractors, depends on what kind of ag revenues you rake in.

Otherwise those GL machines dont make any kind of sense unless you are totally addicted to HST or absolutely have to operate in smaller quarters.

Another option could be a MX5100 hst, quite a bit cheaper than a GL. Laurin did offer a nice cab for it a couple years back when I looked into it, not sure if the math would still work after the addition of the cab though, plus the pain of fitting it or paying someone to do it.