Questions for those with BH75, 76, 77 Backhoes

/ Questions for those with BH75, 76, 77 Backhoes #1  

Verticaltrx

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3200/L2501/SVL65-2/U35-4, IH 454/656, Ford NAA, Case 1845C/480E/450C LGP
I'm trying to decide if adding a backhoe to my B3200 would be a good idea, or if I should wait and get something else (used B20, B21, B26, maybe a small mini-ex). I'll be using it for trenching in water lines (3' deep) and electric lines, cleaning out ditches, installing culverts, planting trees, leveling small spots for buildings, and removing brush and small stumps. I think the BH77 would be fairly capable at all this and is the cheapest option which is why I'm considering that route.

As for my questions:

1. What size bucket do most of you use for trenching? 10"? 12"?

2. If you only have one bucket which size did you go with, or those who have multiple buckets which do you use most?

3. Does anyone have the 24" bucket and how does the machine handle it? I noticed they just recently quit showing in on the build and price section on Kubota so maybe the discontinued it?

4. Everyone recommends a thumb, how much do you honestly use yours and what do you primarily use it for?

5. With the thumb (or chain on the bucket) what is the craning ability of this size hoe?

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

/ Questions for those with BH75, 76, 77 Backhoes #2  
Verticaltrx said:
I'm trying to decide if adding a backhoe to my B3200 would be a good idea, or if I should wait and get something else (used B20, B21, B26, maybe a small mini-ex). I'll be using it for trenching in water lines (3' deep) and electric lines, cleaning out ditches, installing culverts, planting trees, leveling small spots for buildings, and removing brush and small stumps. I think the BH77 would be fairly capable at all this and is the cheapest option which is why I'm considering that route.

As for my questions:

2. If you only have one bucket which size did you go with, or those who have multiple buckets which do you use most?

3. Does anyone have the 24" bucket and how does the machine handle it? I noticed they just recently quit showing in on the build and price section on Kubota so maybe the discontinued it?

4. Everyone recommends a thumb, how much do you honestly use yours and what do you primarily use it for?

5. With the thumb (or chain on the bucket) what is the craning ability of this size hoe?

I have a b26 so no idea how yours will handle but here's my two cents
1 for trenching I use a trencher but if I have to I will trench with 12 inch bucket which is smallest that will fit but in wet clay it sucks.

2 Most of time mine has the 18 on it if I only had one that would be it

3 I have a 29inch sand/ditching/clean up bucket I when cleaning up and backfilling with the hoe or digin in mud. It handles it fine.

4 the hydraulic thumb is priceless gets used almost ever time we dig alwas find a rock or root. I cleaned 6 acres of small trees that took over some crp ground it was wet and sand soil I was amazed how well it worked.

5 using as a crain or lifting? I have set some concrete pipe and manholes with it.
Hope this helps any questions just ask.

/ Questions for those with BH75, 76, 77 Backhoes
I have a b26 so no idea how yours will handle but here's my two cents....

Hope this helps any questions just ask.

Thanks for the advice. I have rented B21's and B26's many times and they are indeed very nice machines. However, with rentals they are generally always equipped with a 16-18" bucket and no thumb so it is hard to judge how the machines work in different configurations. The BH77 is close to the B21 spec wise, aside from the dedicated hydraulic swing circuit on the B21.

Question #5 I was just wondering approximate how much the hoe could lift (I realize this is variable depending on distance from swing pin)

/ Questions for those with BH75, 76, 77 Backhoes #4  
I have a L2800 with a bh75 on it. I just have the 16 inch bucket which works pretty well for everything so far.

I use it more for a crane than I do to dig. I put a couple of hooks on the back side of the bucket and while the main boom lift is not that strong using the curl to lift I can pick up a bit over a thousand lbs.

I have a mechanical thumb that is usually in the halfway position and used ALL the time.

/ Questions for those with BH75, 76, 77 Backhoes #5  
I too have a B26 which has a comparable hoe on it. I have inserted my responses below:

>>1. What size bucket do most of you use for trenching? 10"? 12"?

The smallest available for the B26 is the 12" and if I am only going down 3' - 4' it is the one I would use for trenching.

>>2. If you only have one bucket which size did you go with, or those who have multiple buckets which do you use most?

My machine came with the 18" and I have subsequently purchased the 12" and 24". I use the 12" as indicated above and hardly ever use the 18". If you are doing serious amounts of digging, the 24" bucket moves a lot more material with each scoop (not just due to the extra width but also the heaped capacity) and the B26 has no trouble handling it. I only use the 18" if I need a trench wider than 12" but not 24" wide or when digging holes for tree planting.

>>3. Does anyone have the 24" bucket and how does the machine handle it? I noticed they just recently quit showing in on the build and price section on Kubota so maybe the discontinued it?

As stated in my response to 2 I use my 24" bucket almost all the time with no problems. The larger bucket is also great if you are in rocky soil as I find it easier to pick up rocks with the larger bucket.

>>4. Everyone recommends a thumb, how much do you honestly use yours and what do you primarily use it for?

I hesitated about the expense of the thumb for a long time but finally had the money this year and had it installed. I can't think of a day since it was installed that I have not used it at some point. I don't really see the utility of the rigid thumbs but I get a lot of use out of my hydraulic one and would not purchase a machine without it in the future.

>>5. With the thumb (or chain on the bucket) what is the craning ability of this size hoe?

This is a difficult question to answer because it depends how far away from your machine the load is. I have excavated rocks with my backhoe that were heavy enough to lift the front wheels of the ground when I lifted the stabilizers. I had to but some ballast in the bucket in order to move these rocks. These same rocks were too heavy to lift with the FEL.

That being said, I would say that the B26 hoe would be able to lift 500 - 600 pounds at maximum reach and well over 1200 pounds close to the machine. I have the quick attach option on my B26 and am going to order an extra set of plates from Kubota and mount just a lifting hook on them. That should give me at least an additional 100 pounds of lift at all distances and there are times when lifting things that the bucket is in the way.

/ Questions for those with BH75, 76, 77 Backhoes
Thanks for the replies.

My original thought was to go with a 12" and 24" bucket. Use the smaller one for trenching, stumping, etc and the larger one for excavating. Not sure why Kubota doesn't list the 24" bucket anymore, I'd assume it could still be found through whole goods though, IDK.

/ Questions for those with BH75, 76, 77 Backhoes #7  
As for my questions:

I have a BH76 on my B3030 with a 16" bucket, it is the only bucket I have.

I use my thumb for picking rocks, lifting stumps after digging them out, lifting trees so I can buck them and then slice and dice for the splitter (really saves my back). I use my thumb often as a result of the work that I mostly do on the property.

As for the BHs lifting ability, I don't know, I never weighted anything I've lifted. I can tell you this, it lifts almost everything I grab with it. I know that doesn't tell you much. I can lift a stump out of a hole of a dead Ash tree that has a base of 30 inches.

/ Questions for those with BH75, 76, 77 Backhoes #8  
I have a BH76 on my B3030 with a 16" bucket, it is the only bucket I have.

I use my thumb for picking rocks, lifting stumps after digging them out, lifting trees so I can buck them and then slice and dice for the splitter (really saves my back). I use my thumb often as a result of the work that I mostly do on the property.

As for the BHs lifting ability, I don't know, I never weighted anything I've lifted. I can tell you this, it lifts almost everything I grab with it. I know that doesn't tell you much. I can lift a stump out of a hole of a dead Ash tree that has a base of 30 inches.

I'm really glad the OP brought the "craning" ability of a BH up, and for the folks, including ihansman's, attempts to put in perspective the lifting ability of the how. I can easily (and anticipated, already) that I would be lifting with the hoe more than digging with it.

I guess it's nice to get confirmation for our beliefs, huh? I could use more of it. :laughing:

Great thread.

My Hoe