Buying Advice BX2660,B2320,B2920,B3300SU - Which One?

/ BX2660,B2320,B2920,B3300SU - Which One? #1  

homeputter

Bronze Member
New to this site so hopefully I am posting this correctly.

I am trying to decide on which Kubota tractor to buy. I have very little tractor experience.
I have a cabin in the mountains on a 1 acre sloped and fairly rough lot. I plan on grading, moving dirt, spreading gravel and some deep snow removal. The snow removal would be in the winter only several times per year (when we went to the cabin) and would be accumulated snow on a 100 foot driveway and breaking though the 4 foot high snow/ice dam left at the driveway entrance by the road grader.
I thought I would like a BH, but the salesman almost talked me out of it. He thought I would be disappointed with what a BH could do when on a small tractor. Anyone have any thoughts on the usefulness of a small 6.5 or 7.5ft backhoe?
I got the impression that it was better to get a backhoe with a model that has an integrated frame for the backhoe rather than an add on type sub-frame. If by Kubota, I would think it would be ok?

I test drove 3 different size tractors and liked them all. I think the B3300SU was probably too large although the salesman was gently recommending that one. I think the B3200 be a better choice with the mid PTO for a snow blower, although I don't think I could justify that expense for only using twice a year or so.

Is there any model where it is better to jump up a model for a little more money to get a better tractor? I will probably get a box scraper with the FEL. If I give up the BH, I am leaning towards the B2320.

Anyone have any input or advice for this tractor novice? Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated.

Hopefully, this isn't a repeat post, my lengthy 1st attempt disappear after trying to review it.
Thanks,
George

/ BX2660,B2320,B2920,B3300SU - Which One? #2  
You'll get a lot of good advice here. Using the search function can provide hours of reading.

With your description of rough land I'd rule out the BX, sounds like you need the extra clearance. I have a B2320 and I think it would do what you describe but if you ever decide on the snowblower that's when the extra HP would come in handy with the B2920.

Many here have said buy one size bigger than you think and this may apply here. With the potential for the blower the B2920 is where I'd start but you have to factor what is needed now, what may be needed in the future and your budget. Good luck.

/ BX2660,B2320,B2920,B3300SU - Which One?
How do you like your B2320? Any problems with it or any regrets? Since the B2320 can run a snow blower why did you suggest the B2920 if I need a snow blower in the future - is the addition power needed?
Thanks for your input.

/ BX2660,B2320,B2920,B3300SU - Which One? #4  
Pretty much in agreement with TigerfaninAR, we own a BX2660 and while we love it, the 8" ground clearance could be problematic and we have other tractors to do the things the BX can't handle.

We rent a back hoe/excavator when needed.

/ BX2660,B2320,B2920,B3300SU - Which One? #5  
A note on the backhoes. If you decided on the bx size tractor and you think you want a BH, then going with the BX25 is the way to go because it is cheaper by far than adding a BH later which would force you to go to one of the other vendors such as Woods. But with the B series tractors, even the Kubota backhoes use a subframe, so you can add it later, Kubota or aftermarket, and it makes no difference. The only advantage to doing it at purchase is maybe you can negotiate a little better price and finance it with the tractor.

We started out looking at the BX25, but decided it was not going to be big enough for our needs. Tried a B7800 which proceeded the B3200, but settled on the B2920. I would have opted for the B2620 over the B2320 because it has a larger bucket and stronger hydraulics on the standard FEL than what is on the 2320 although I guess you can add it as an option on the B2320. We decided to move on up to the 2920 mostly because we didn't really know the capability of the tractors or our needs. I don't have a snow blower, so know very little about them, but the only time I need the additional HP of the 2920 is when running the 5' brush hog and then only if I have really gotten behind on the mowing.

It is a nice, smooth, easy to operate small tractor with no mechanical problems in 4+ years and 300 hours of ownership. I use the FEL and a rear blade to take care of the snow. If it a more frequent issue here, I would probably add a front blade instead of the FEL, but I haven't justified that cost in my mind for the amount of snow we get.

Last edited:
   / BX2660,B2320,B2920,B3300SU - Which One? #6  
Kubota makes those various models and yes, it can be a swirl of confusion, perhaps. But if I may, I'd like to offer an analogy.

Ford Trucks (translate this to Dodge or GM as well) makes pickups. So, a guy thinks he needs a pickup, but which? It may not actually have occurred to him that Ford makes a dizzying number of models of F truck. What's that about?

Soon, it becomes obvious. V6-V8-Diesel. The more power you need to pull bigger and bigger loads, the more engine, and a higher price tag. F150, F250,F350, each larger, heavier, more stout, with again, a higher price.

So it is the all B tractors Kubota offers. The 20 series come in 3 hp offerings, but the series itself, the 20's are budget minded, less featured tractors. Kind of similar to Ford offering XL models. Somewhat plain, very workable, no frills machines.

The 30 series have far nicer features, as well as offering a few horsepower choices.

The OO series are yet another offering.

Remember, Kubota exists to SELL you. They will offer all these various models not only to meet your needs, but also to be profitable. The B's start around $15K and go all the way up to $30K cabbed units.

If money were not crushing? I'd pick the 30 series for their features.
If size and cab mattered more? I'd likely pick a 00 cabbed unit.
If my budget only allow X amount of money? Ah... the ever faithful 20 series.

Choose the model series FIRST, in my view, and then choose the necessary hp needed within the model offerings.

/ BX2660,B2320,B2920,B3300SU - Which One? #7  
homeputter said:
How do you like your B2320? Any problems with it or any regrets? Since the B2320 can run a snow blower why did you suggest the B2920 if I need a snow blower in the future - is the addition power needed?
Thanks for your input.

I love the 2320. No regrets at all. Have had a kittle trouble with adjusting the height of the mid mount mower but other than that flawless. Only have 110 hours but great so far. Use mine mainly for mowing but also use a brush hog and box blade occasionally as well as a ratchet rake on the loader.

Obviously don't need a blower here in central Arkansas buy many here have stated these machines have plenty of power especially for their weight but the times that the additional HP would have been needed was using attachments such as chippers and snow blowers.

/ BX2660,B2320,B2920,B3300SU - Which One? #8  
I also have a B2320 and love the thing. I bought it mainly to work in the dirt. Fel and BB I have done quite a bit in the short time I have had it but the drought around here has shut me down. I'm leveling my acre of land and trying to get new grass to grow so killing the grass leveling has had to stop. I have done some to a few of the neighbors but that is about all. The B2320 was the perfect size for me and the price was reasonable. There are a lot of tractors in this size and any of them should suit your needs just find a dealer your comfortable with and close and see what you can work out. Good luck in your quest

Attachments

• tractor 007.jpg
    tractor 007.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 479
   / BX2660,B2320,B2920,B3300SU - Which One? #9  
When it comes to snow removal you want the biggest bucket you can get or if you are using a SB then you need the HP. My choice would be the B3300 or the b3200 if you want a front SB. The b2920 would be very capable but I prefer the slightly larger size. Bigger tires are always an asset in my opinion hence my leaning the to bigger unit.:)

/ BX2660,B2320,B2920,B3300SU - Which One? #10  
Another very happy B2320 guy, have the FEL, box blade, and brush hog for 2.5 mostly level acres. No problems at all in a couple of years. We aren't allowed to have snow here but it can do a lot more than I ask of it.

I kinda wish I had gotten the backhoe, but I wouldn't personally have used it much, and then it would always be in the way, either on or off the tractor. Sure would be cool but then I saved the 6 grand or so.

The package came with the sunroof, and I would not get that again. It is also always in the way either on or off, and a tree mangled it a little. Makes the ROPS a pain to go up and down, and a straw hat is cheaper for a weekend warrior anyway.