L3400 Price Check

/ L3400 Price Check #1  

extrakt0r

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400
Hello all, been lurking for a while. I am in the market for a my first tractor. Wife and I purchased 10 acres of land and will be building our house next year.

Long story short I have been looking for about 6 months and believe I have settled on a B2620 with loader, 4 foot brush hog, blade, etc. I was planning on buying new, but I might have found a jewel in the rough.

I have come across a 2008 L3400 HST R4's with 96 hours, kubota FEL with tooth bar, 5 foot big bee brush hog, 5 foot atlas box blade, 5 foot king kutter tiller for $15,000. The owner is about 2 hours away from my house.

I think the L3400 might be a little big for my needs, but if the price is right, why not right? Rather have to much, than to little. Before I drive 2 hours to look at it - how does 15K sound for this kind of setup?

My tractor needs at first will be clearing the land as it is pretty rough, doing lots of hogging and moving dirt and gravel to build a 500 foot road. I also plan on doing all my own backfilling on the home. Once it is all said and done, I will use the tractor to maintain a dirt bike track I will build, and hog maybe 2 acres. I plan on getting a scag zero turn for the bulk of my mowing needs in year 2-3. Of the 10 acres 4 is woods, the rest lots of grass, fairly flat.

Last edited:
   / L3400 Price Check
44 views and no one has an opinion?

/ L3400 Price Check #3  
Wether it is a good price depends on 3 MAIN factors.

1. Tractors condition
2. Implements Condition
3. Wether you are a cash buyer or want to finance

Lets break down the implements.

The following are rough average prices for good used stuff

Bushhog.....$300
Box Blade.....$400
Tiller............$1000
Tooth bar.....$300(new)

So you have $2k in attachments

So you are paying $13k for the tractor. IF the tractor is in good shape, and IF you are a cash buyer, that probabally isnt a bad deal.

Just that tractor and FEL would be ~$17-$18k at the dealer. But keep in mind that if you are financing, through kubota they ocasionally have 0%. So how much is your bank going to charge you to borrow (if applicable) and factor that back into that $15k. Plus, you get a warrenty when new.

Just to drive the point home about financing. (these are just guesses, more info would be great)

But a 15k loan for 4 years @ 6% and you would actually be paying 19,800 in the long run.

If you can get a new one at a dealer with 0hrs and 3 yr warrenty for 18k and 0%, that leaves you with $1800 to go find some good used implements.

Ofcourse if you are a cash buyer, that $4800 in interst wont apply

/ L3400 Price Check
Thanks LD1.

I am a cash buyer, new or used. The pics are not the best, but here is the ad.

kubota L3400

In my mind I want to get everything for less than 18K. For my use I need the loader, rear blade and brush hog. I "dont have to have" the rear box blade or the tiller, but they would be nice to haves.

The way I think about it, is with less than 100 hours on it, she is barely broken in. I know he keeps it in the garage, so my guess is (until I see it in person) is that it is in pretty tip top shape. He said he is selling due to health reasons.

The 2620 is going to cost me more than this brand new and I will not have as "big" as a tractor or be able to use a 5' hog which I want for my land.

I guess basically I need to go see it and see what he will take for it. If I can get him to around 14K I will probably just buy it.

/ L3400 Price Check
One other question I have...

How would one go about buying a used tractor where the owner still has a Lien on it from Kubota. It is my understanding that tractors are not "titled" like cars are.

In my mind I would get a cashiers check made out to Kubota for his pay off and another cashiers check for the difference between that and the sale price, that way I know Kubota gets paid off.

It is a little different buying used cars where a title, and Lien releases are involved, but not sure what best practice in the tractor world is?

Thanks so much, Mike

/ L3400 Price Check #6  
Looks to be a Very nice condition tractor and with all the attachments I would buy it myself. Good luck on your decision.
DevilDog

/ L3400 Price Check #7  
Looks to be a Very nice condition tractor and with all the attachments I would buy it myself. Good luck on your decision.
DevilDog

Yep, probabally worth the asking price since you are a cask buyer.

And you should have no trouble getting $1200+ out of the blade and tiller if you do decide to sell them off:thumbsup:

Couple of pointers though:

The L3400 was know to have a jerky 3PH. Not much can be done with it, just the nature of the beast. So I'd suggest trying that out BEFORE you make any rash descisions and see if it is something you can live with.

Second, they had issues with the hydraulic suction hose cracking. Not a big deal or even a costly fix,,,,under $100, but check it out. If you are sitting on the tractor, it is right in front of your right foot. Looks kinda like a radiator hose. See if there is any cracking and just be aware ot if.

Last, Find out if the 50HR service has been done. Either himself of a dealer.

I cannot comment to buying a tractor with a lein on it. I have never done that. But there are horror stories that come to mind about situations like this. Where you pay HIM the money, and he quits making payments, and kubota takes "your" tractor back. I am sure others can guide you better in this area.

/ L3400 Price Check #8  
In my opinion..

1: the tractor is not to big for your uses.. It is not a big tractor, and you will enjoy using it a lot. The HST is a big plus in its favor.

2: It is an OK deal, not great, but OK, If you could get him to come down a little more that would be great, yes it looks nearly new, he did not use it a lot, but it is out of warranty. my 2010 has more hours. Also it does not appear to have the SSQA on the loader, mine did not either, ( not that common on L3400s) and I paid good money to get the adapter and a new bucket. I later modified my old bucket to make it SSQA also, then bought some pallet forks, (handier than a pocket on a shirt) real worthwhile addition.

3: It will have the jerky 3pt hitch. Thats a fact of life on all l2800 l3400 l3200 l3800 series tractors..there are thousands of threads here about that. you could read for days and days. Not a big problem to me, but is to some users. You have to decide if you can live with it. Smooth as silk going down, herky jerky when going up slowly. If going up all the way, then no problem, it is just trying to adjust it up slowly that the jerkyness is apparent.

So there are my observations, all in all a good tractor, love mine, and it does a lot of things I need done, and is a joy to operate. The 3pt hitch is like the one blemish, but I still love her:)

James K0UA

/ L3400 Price Check #9  
Ok looks like you have been warned twice about the hitch, again not a big deal to me and what I do, but you have to decide yourself Boom pole operation would really annoying. As for the hydraulic suction hose, my dealer gave me one, and looks to be about a 5 min. job to replace it. Several have gone bad and cracked, mine is OK, so the replacement stays on reserve.

James K0UA

/ L3400 Price Check #10  
As usual, can't beat the advice by James and LD1. I personally think the L Series will be a much better choice than the 2620 whether new or used.

As to buying used, we have done it and will do it again and they have a lot more hours than this one.

Good luck.