MX 5100 review and info

/ MX 5100 review and info #1  

Code54

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100, Kubota BX25D,1957 Farmall Cub Lo-Boy Kubota KX91-3, BCS 853
The new MX5100 came today and I am impressed. I was asked by a few people to post a photo and answer a couple questions.
I had a L3700SU before this one and liked the tractor and felt it was a good machine despite the jerky 3pt hitch. The new 5100 is very smooth both lifting and lowering and I did not notice any jumpiness on the 3pt. I also had to lift about 900lbs from the bed of my truck today and it picked up up very easily and smoothly with the front loader (set of SSQD forks on). The tractor was far more stable and even without a counter balance I felt planted to the ground (flat only had to drive back about 10 feet however)
I also noticed it is far more stable on our WV hills and the larger wheels and tires do provide a smoother ride.
Anyway, I hope this answers all the questions I was asked and if there are other let me know!

Attachments

• IMG_0847.jpg
    IMG_0847.jpg
    992.8 KB · Views: 3,637
   / MX 5100 review and info #2  
Congrats Code, great looking tractor.

/ MX 5100 review and info #3  
Congrats code, mine was delivered last week, im loving it as well. Merry christmas to YOU!!!!

/ MX 5100 review and info #4  
The new MX5100 came today and I am impressed. I was asked by a few people to post a photo and answer a couple questions.
I had a L3700SU before this one and liked the tractor and felt it was a good machine despite the jerky 3pt hitch. The new 5100 is very smooth both lifting and lowering and I did not notice any jumpiness on the 3pt. I also had to lift about 900lbs from the bed of my truck today and it picked up up very easily and smoothly with the front loader (set of SSQD forks on). The tractor was far more stable and even without a counter balance I felt planted to the ground (flat only had to drive back about 10 feet however)
I also noticed it is far more stable on our WV hills and the larger wheels and tires do provide a smoother ride.
Anyway, I hope this answers all the questions I was asked and if there are other let me know!

Looks great, and thanks that helps confirm about the 3pt. as I knew you wold know what we are talking about on the jerky 3pt, you would be an objective observer of the Mx5100. I am starting to turn a little green now with envy, though:) Whatever are you going to do with all that new found lift capacity and horsepower:eek:? I was just thinking about a couple of rocks I would like to move but cannot lift... Oh well.. enjoy that new great looking powerful tractor:thumbsup:

James K0UA

/ MX 5100 review and info #5  
I live in Central Kentucky in the knob area just outside of Frankfort. I bought a new 5100 in August of this year equipped very similarly to yours. To-date I really love this tractor. I have been waiting until I have used it for over 100 hours to post a full-blown review. I have about 70 hours on it so far and other than a couple of peeves, the differential lock, and the brake pedals on the right side of the tractor just above the HST pedal, and the noise level, it is darn near perfect for my uses. It is markedly more stable on the hills than my L2900 was and the loader is amazing. I put a toothbar on it and it is truly a digging machine.

/ MX 5100 review and info #6  
Code54, I have the MX5100 as well, so far I like it very much. I live in Summers Co., WV...on top of a mt. so I can relate to hills. Remember, rear ballast is your friend. :)

/ MX 5100 review and info #7  
Yes, I had the rear (R4's like yours) filled with eco fluid as a part of the deal. I also put 1/2 gallon of slime in each of the front tires, not for weight, but for protection against the multi inch long locust thorns we have here.

/ MX 5100 review and info
dlmpsy - Hello neighbor! I know you understand, every darn thing here is on a hill, to put my shop in I had to get a dozer to give me a nice flat spot because I don't have a natural area that is more than 10x5' that is really "flat". How much rear ballast have you been using? I have a 740 lbs concrete "block" I normally use but been thinking of enlarging it a bit ? What is your thoughts?

K0ua - The 3pt is a lot better - the only part of my 3700 3pt I will miss is when I us the post hole digger - on the 3700 I never had to shake it to get the dirt off, it did it automatically !!!! One of the main reasons I wanted a much stronger loader was for moving rock. We are doing a BUNCH of landscaping and I was always coming up short on lift capacity. My neighbor is great and lets me and my wife gather all the rocks we want off his land and we had several rocks that I could only push onto my carry all (it is a SUPER heavy duty thing I bought at an auction just for getting rocks). It was a pain because I would have to take it off the 3pt, roll the rock on it, strap it in, then hook it back up so I could carry it out of the woods. Now picking them up should not be an issue. Then again I can just hear my wife "can't we get that boulder over there now that you have a bigger tractor"
I also must say Barlows was great to deal with, they brought the tractor on time, driver was great, and the whole process went well. heck they even had it totally fueled up (when I got the 3700 I was luck to make it in my garage without running out - They made me prove there is some fuel even after the gauge says "E"

KYDan
Which bucket did you get and where did you find your tooth bar? I got the HD bucket and it is already "drilled" and I was thinking that if I could find a tooth bar to match the holes I may just have to get one!

Happy Holidays all!

/ MX 5100 review and info #9  
Then again I can just hear my wife "can't we get that boulder over there now that you have a bigger tractor"

That reminds me of a funny story that a guy I used to work with told.. Seems his wife was nagging him to go and get a rock for their front yard decoration that she had seen on a road trip of about 40 miles away. Finally she nagged enough that he got his FIL's Case 580K Backhoe and a big trailer and dump truck to go and fetch up this decorative rock. When he got there he just looked at the rock in amazement:eek: He told me he estimated the rock to weigh about 20 tons.:laughing: It seems that when you get a bigger tractor you can pick up bigger rocks and then you want to pick up the rocks it won't pick up either!

James K0UA

/ MX 5100 review and info #10  
KYDan
Which bucket did you get and where did you find your tooth bar? I got the HD bucket and it is already "drilled" and I was thinking that if I could find a tooth bar to match the holes I may just have to get one!

Happy Holidays all![/QUOTE]

I actually bought two toothbars, both of them from Iowa Farm Sales. One is a WR long toothbar and is the standard version. The other is a custom flat toothbar that I only use for leveling as it is easy to break teeth loose from it. I had to drill two sets of 3/4" holes in the bucket to make them work. Not what I really wanted to do, but it worked out OK. The HD bucket is tough and thick. I shopped around locally, but no one could come close to the price. The staff at IFS were helpful, friendly, and knowledgeable and the shipping was super fast. I ordered some extra tooth chisels (caps) as I have already lost two of them. I found one and stuck it back on and I had to replace the other one. I suggest you order some extra crush pins for those times. They threw in the pins, the tooth chisels (caps) were $10 each.