MX5100 HST.. Is it right for me??

/ MX5100 HST.. Is it right for me?? #1  

Pattece

A few weeks ago I posted on here that I was a first time tractor buyer and I thought I had narrowed my choice down to the kubota 7040... Well after scratching my head for a few weeks I am now wondering if I need a tractor that big. I just purchased a small farm and need a tractor to maintain the property, plant food plots for hunting, and handle round bales on the loader as well as the 3 pt hitch. I have been looking at the MX5100 HST and really like it. Small enough to haul with my tundra to my hunting properties and I think strong enough to do all the things I need it to do. *Just wondering what you all think and wanted to hear from those with experience with the 5100 or similar size tractors. I can buy the 5100 HST and all the implements I need for a few thousand less than I can buy *just the 7040hd with loader. Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

/ MX5100 HST.. Is it right for me?? #2  
I would look at the loader specs and look at my hay bales and decide. As for the other things, I think no problem. A lot of the guys on here have them and I don't think I have heard a bad word, about them, Seems most of the guys are pretty satisfied with them as being a lot of tractor for the money. It don't have some of the frills, but I believe it delivers a lot of value. I cautioned one buyer that wanted to lift round bales about not getting an L3400HST because I did not think it would lift them ( I have one) and he bought it anyway, and posted pictures of it lifting one. I am not sure how much they weighed but it lifted them in any case.. and the MX5100 has a lot more loader capacity than the L3400HST. Just make sure you have good ballast on the rear. I think you mentioned putting a 3pt bale spear on the back too.

James K0UA

/ MX5100 HST.. Is it right for me?? #3  
I have the MX4700 4wd I have SSQA forks (homemade weigh about 400-500lbs alone) and I can lift large 6ft wet bales all day long and drive around my very rough pasture with ease. I counter weight with the box blade to stack them more than a few feet high though. Make sure your tires are loaded, the MX's are a bit light in the rear, with the loaded tires most tasks can be done without more counter weight, or just a box blade on the back.

/ MX5100 HST.. Is it right for me?? #4  
I just bought a 5100 recently and love it. The other day I grabbed a 900+lbs implement from the bed of my truck and took it into my shop and the loader did not even flinch. I can truly say it was nothing to move. I was impressed. I do have my rears loaded and if I am doing any heavy lifting I add some counter weight to be safe. The one think I really like is that it is FAR more stable than my 3700 was. The wheels set to the widest position really help reduce the tipsiness.
I don't believe you will have any issues doing any of the jobs you want to do - when I had the 3700 it would early do the planting and ground work so the 5100 just lets me do it faster!

/ MX5100 HST.. Is it right for me?? #5  
Why skip over the 5140,same size frame as 7040 but lighter and less hp.

/ MX5100 HST.. Is it right for me??
Thanks for the replies so far. They are very helpful. As far as the 5100 vs the 5140 goes, I am still rolling this around in my head. I just really like the HST option. I also know that the lift capicity is much higher on the 5140 but I am not sure i really need it, but im sure its one of those things you really cant have enough of. Another one of my concerns is the 1000 plus extra pounds. I know this is good for loader work and heavy impliments but it is also more aggravating to haul 3-4 hours to my hunting camps. One thing I have learned while looking for tractors is there is definately not a "one size fits all". Oh well I guess I will get one now and go for another in a few years. Im sure my wife will love it!! Again thanks for the responces so far. I look forward to reading more.

/ MX5100 HST.. Is it right for me?? #7  
I would not be too worried about 1000 extra pounds while towing. That will probably not be noticable, depending on your tow vehicle and trailer. The HST is another story. That debate will probably never be settled. I personally would go with the M5140 mainly because of the loader joystick location. I do not like the loader frame mounted controls of the MX or any other frame mounted loader controls for that matter. Some don't mind it though. The MX with HST and the M5140 are pretty close in price from what I have seen. Go run as many as you can and see what you like best.:thumbsup:

/ MX5100 HST.. Is it right for me?? #8  
Thanks for the replies so far. They are very helpful. As far as the 5100 vs the 5140 goes, I am still rolling this around in my head. I just really like the HST option. I also know that the lift capicity is much higher on the 5140 but I am not sure i really need it, but im sure its one of those things you really cant have enough of. Another one of my concerns is the 1000 plus extra pounds. I know this is good for loader work and heavy impliments but it is also more aggravating to haul 3-4 hours to my hunting camps. One thing I have learned while looking for tractors is there is definately not a "one size fits all". Oh well I guess I will get one now and go for another in a few years. Im sure my wife will love it!! Again thanks for the responces so far. I look forward to reading more.

Yeah if you dont need the weight,I have heard alot of good things about the MX5100. I own the M5040 and it fills my 18ft car hauler up,and a friend of mine has a 20ft bumper pull and pulls a 55hp NH with tundra and says its a load wish he would have gotten a GN trailer instead..If your only going to be moving 4x5 bales,another buddy of mine does it with a 35hp NH but it wont budge my 5x6s tractor1.jpgI dont think the 5100 would either without something on the back.Do you get your hay baled or buy?Can always lighten them up or buy smaller.

Last edited:
   / MX5100 HST.. Is it right for me?? #9  
I am one of those who does not mind the location of the Loader controls, I have owned and used a tractor with the near seat integrated mounted joystick and it was fine too. I though I might not like the kubota loader frame mounted control, as I though it might be tiresome to use, but I have operated plenty of 8 hour days doing 100 percent loader work and no problems. Also I like the Treadle pedal Hydrostat for loader work, I think the treadle pedal is superior for instant directional changes over the 2 pedal system. When grading at very low speed I like to reverse a lot and take small bites with the bucket when trying to smooth a surface. But many people do not share my love for the treadle pedal setup or the loader frame mounted controls. Maybe it is all what you get used to.

James K0UA

/ MX5100 HST.. Is it right for me?? #10  
I have the MX5100 HST 4WD, R4s, LA844 Loader, and several attachments. It is a great tractor for my needs with a lot of power and very stout. The only negative thing that I can say about it is that it is noisy, very noisy. But, I love it, it has the most effective use of power that any tractor that I have used in over 45 years of using tractors off and on. It doesn't have all of the features that my L series did, but I actually like it better. It is remarkable machine and offers a lot of bang for your buck. It you like the joystick on the XX40 tractors and anticipate extended seat time you might want to spend the extra dollars.