Used 2007 BX24

/ Used 2007 BX24 #1  

lumberbean

Tractor
John Deere 755
I found a used 2007 BX24 w/ 88 hours that's garage kept on craig's list. He's asking 13,600 for it and I wanted to know if that sounds fair. He also has the three point hitch attachment as well. Is there anything to look for or ask to make sure nothing is wrong with it when I go see it?

By the way, it's not a scam as I've talked with the gentlemen tonight. I did ask why he was getting rid of it and he said he didn't need the backhoe and would like to get something else.

I'm also a bit concerned that I would need something bigger for my property. Currently, I have 8 acres of mostly woods, some really big oaks, and about 1&1/2-2 acres of grass. Do folks generally have one tractor to do all tasks or one for mowing and the other for heavy lifting.

/ Used 2007 BX24 #3  
I found a used 2007 BX24 w/ 88 hours that's garage kept on craig's list. He's asking 13,600 for it and I wanted to know if that sounds fair. He also has the three point hitch attachment as well. Is there anything to look for or ask to make sure nothing is wrong with it when I go see it?

By the way, it's not a scam as I've talked with the gentlemen tonight. I did ask why he was getting rid of it and he said he didn't need the backhoe and would like to get something else.

I'm also a bit concerned that I would need something bigger for my property. Currently, I have 8 acres of mostly woods, some really big oaks, and about 1&1/2-2 acres of grass. Do folks generally have one tractor to do all tasks or one for mowing and the other for heavy lifting.

Tractors and woods? Big Oaks? Grass I under stand, you want to mow it. Not sure what you want to do to the Big Oaks and woods. Usually Dozers are better for pushing down trees or chain saws and then dragging them out of the woods or burning them. Really need to tell what you want to do with a tractor besides mow.
More than one tractor is what some of us do. I have 2 tractors now plus two dedicated Kubota Mowing machines for two different propertys plus a Kubota RTV for riding in the woods on trails that were cleared for logging years ago with a dozer. I've mowed small trees with a Bush hog/rotary mower/brush hog on the wooded trail which had not been used for a few years.
I have a BX25 which is the newer model of the BX24 but the BX25 doesn't have the plastic body parts and the abrupt stop in reverse like the BX24 or 50 series of BXs. Since I owned a 50 series BX and got rid of it quick because it bothered me that bad, I wouldn't buy a BX24. That's just one mans opinion, mine. A new BX25 with full warranty and 0% financing wouldn't be a tremendous amount more money than what they are asking for the BX24. Some people will buy used to save 2 or 3 thousand dollars but I won't. Again, that's just one mans opinion, mine.
Decide what you want to do with your wooded acres, tell it here and wait for responses. There are many here that have actual experience and I'd be more apt to listen to them.
Many of us have found that it's "best" and probably even cheaper and a tremendous time saver to hire an experienced dozer person to come for a few hours to deal with trees and then buy a tractor/machine to maintain the land. A dozer can do in hours what will take weeks or months for a tractor to do. Some evn abvocate buying a used big machine to do the heavy work then sell the machine and buy what's needed to maintain. Guess that's another choice but I'd sure have to have alot on land needing a lot of work before I'd do that myself. That big used machine can cost a bundle to start with and then if a major mechanical problem happened to it then there could be a major repair bill.

/ Used 2007 BX24
John, thanks for all the information. I guess I should've stated that I would be doing mostly landscaping work with the tractor ie: grading some places around the house and by my front yard, moving dirt around, working on a culvert that has some stones in it, digging up tree stumps, and possible tilling a garden. There's also some brush that needs to be cleaned up and some trails in the woods that I would like to make.

Hurricane Irene was kind enough to blow over two big oak trees on my lot that I would like to use for firewood. The problem is, they're fallen in a gully area and I would need some type of heavy machinery to pull them up. I sort of doubt that this tractor would be able to do it but it would be a one time task. As you said, renting a big dozer would be cost and time effective here.

As far as the BX24 with plastic parts and stopping abruptly in reverse, is this a major issue with them? I remember reading somewhere else on this forum about the plastic parts but not the reverse issue. If I do test drive the tractor, I'll definitely try out reverse for a bit.

My price range is between 10-15K and I would like to get the best deal possible. Anything above that and I wouldn't be able to afford it. This particular deal is right in my price range, and sort of fits my requirements. Though, I'm not sure how much I'll use the backhoe.

Last edited:
   / Used 2007 BX24 #5  
dont count on the ads on tractor house ...a lot of them have been sold already and the ads are not removed ...I have a bx 24 for sale in the private party ads for 13k which is more than a good deal ,the forward and back deal is like anything else you will get use to it with experience if it is used in the slow gear -the turtle on the control its really not noticeable .to replace this unit today would be near 17500.00 with sales tax insurance etc..

/ Used 2007 BX24 #6  
John, thanks for all the information. I guess I should've stated that I would be doing mostly landscaping work with the tractor ie: grading some places around the house and by my front yard, moving dirt around, working on a culvert that has some stones in it, digging up tree stumps, and possible tilling a garden. There's also some brush that needs to be cleaned up and some trails in the woods that I would like to make.

Hurricane Irene was kind enough to blow over two big oak trees on my lot that I would like to use for firewood. The problem is, they're fallen in a gully area and I would need some type of heavy machinery to pull them up. I sort of doubt that this tractor would be able to do it but it would be a one time task. As you said, renting a big dozer would be cost and time effective here.

As far as the BX24 with plastic parts and stopping abruptly in reverse, is this a major issue with them? I remember reading somewhere else on this forum about the plastic parts but not the reverse issue. If I do test drive the tractor, I'll definitely try out reverse for a bit.

My price range is between 10-15K and I would like to get the best deal possible. Anything above that and I wouldn't be able to afford it. This particular deal is right in my price range, and sort of fits my requirements. Though, I'm not sure how much I'll use the backhoe.
I've had several BXs and currently have one, a BX25. I had a BX2350 and the abrupt stop in reverse in turtle was so bad I got rid of it pretty quick. Kubota also moved from the 50 series into the 60 series pretty quick. I actually had a BX2200, a BX1500, BX2350, BX2660 and now the BX25. I've also had an L series and a B7800, B3200, F2680, F3080a and also now a B2320 and all are/were HST except for the B2320, my first and last geared tactor. I know how a BX is supposed to stop in reverse and only one was bad, the BX2350. There was a long, long, long thread concerning the problem and I think it was/is a serious enough problem to avoid that series and prices should be lower because of it.
A new BX25 may be around $16000 with the right discounts from the right dealer. If your paying cash then evaluate the value of a dollar. If your financing the new tractor is less costly at 0% for 60 months than a used tractor that is financed. Most people that look at the year or two old tractors are buying new after determining the real cost or monthly payment.
If you can't get a good deal locally try Used Kubota Tractors here. They deliver all over and have many satisfied customers in your area.
I don't farm but do lots of personal landscaping and the BH is used often, very often. On the BX it is not great for stump removal if the stump is big or has a major root system. Not saying the BX BH won't do it but it will take some time. Small or shallow stumps will be easy though.
You should be able to find several threads from 2 to 3 years ago about the abrupt stop in reverse on the 50 series BXs with many people saying they had ideas of how to fix it and no one ever came back with the way to do it. Just try stopping in reverse with any other series BX and and then the 50 series BX and you will see for yourself. To me it doesn't matter that one can feather the pedal or adjust to it, it's not right, it's wrong. I would get in a hurry and stop and then knew I did not want to live with that for years and some people have their tractors for years. My neighbor has a BX2350 and he's OK with it but he'll trade it soon for an F series Kubota. He got close last year.:)

/ Used 2007 BX24 #7  
thats all good if you are in the kentucky vicinity with a dealer that might have a deal or 2 if you find a good deal the shipping to the northeast cuts in too deep to say you save anything

/ Used 2007 BX24 #8  
thats all good if you are in the kentucky vicinity with a dealer that might have a deal or 2 if you find a good deal the shipping to the northeast cuts in too deep to say you save anything
If that's the case then why is Barlows delivering so many tractors to the North east and all over the US. He's either cutting his prices pretty deep or not charging so much for shipping. No theory, fact. Look at the number of people on this forum from all over, even or especially the northeast, that are buying tractors from them.
It's always easy to tell reasons why something won't work but in this case it's as simple and cheap as placing a phone call or sending an email asking for a delivered price to a specific location for a specific machine.:):thumbsup:

/ Used 2007 BX24 #9  
Lumberbean, does the BX24 have a Mid Mount Mower deck (MMM), or some would call it a belly mower? That is, a mower that mounts underneath like any traditional lawn tractor. If it does I think this is an excellent buy for that money - that's really low hours. I have a 2007 BX24 and have come to really love it.

My experience with hydrostatic drive is with JD lawn tractor mowers, a zero turn Cub Cadet z-Force, and Bob Cat skid steer. The small lawn tractors I've had have a fairly smooth transition. The z-Force I have now and Bob Cat skid steer will transition very abruptly if you let go of the hand levers or return them to center quickly. The BX24 is like that - when you change from pressing the foot pedal in reverse you will find it abruptly stops. You can feather it some, but mostly is just comes to an abrupt stop. This seems to really bothers some folks so is something for you to really play with when you test drive. It doesn't bother me because I always just felt like it was a robust HST drive, like the CC and BC skid steer. It wasn't until reading other folks complaints about it that I even thought about it. But definitely something to be aware of.

I haven't had any of the plastic cracking issues others have mentioned. However, I should mention that it is always stored in a heated garage and that may make a difference.

As someone mentioned, if you are planning to finance then I'm not sure. You'd have to work the numbers of the sale price plus what you'd end up paying in interest. But if you're paying cash, this seems like a good deal to me.

/ Used 2007 BX24 #10  
Lumberbean, I have a BX24 from 2007 which works just fine. I had done about 500 hours of hard work. No broken plastic parts so far. Sure it sometimes stops abit abrut in reverse, but nothing to make a fuss about.
Its a fantastic little machine! BUT its a small machine. If I know what I know now I would go for an M59 which is in my eyes still a pretty small machine. You might dont do fine mowing with it but as an allround machine I belive its pretty good.
Try to rent diffrent machines for a start. Diffrent sizes and see what you need.
(Its always difficult to find one machine to do everything)
Good luck and keep us informed:thumbsup: