L4240 vs MX5100.. tough choice..

/ L4240 vs MX5100.. tough choice.. #1  

kleetus

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota RTV 1140 Kubota Grand L4240
well I have been looking at tractors for about a year now since I bought the ranch.. no pun intended. I had my eyes and heart set on the L4240, there just happened to be an AG show these week in my town, went down to see if there were any show specials..

One of the sales guys there showed me the MX5100 and the L4240, and now I cant decide which I want. He also told me about a program where they rent the MX series to local farmers for light usage then sell them discounted. the MX5100 they had had 195 hours on it and was 2100.00 of list.

Ive been glaring at spec sheets for an hour now and I dont see huge differences, I see the MX has the Cat 2/1 3 point, and the L has the Cat 1. and the L has a lot more comfort things.. nicer seat etc.

here is the 5100 spec sheet
http://www.kubota.com/configurator/StdFeatureHandler.ashx?tractorId=2484&mId=MX5100HST&version=1

and here is the 4240 specs
http://www.kubota.com/configurator/StdFeatureHandler.ashx?tractorId=2345&mId=L4240HST-3&version=1

ive seen and read alot of posts about each tractor but never comparing the 2, anyone have any input?

thanks

/ L4240 vs MX5100.. tough choice.. #2  
Well, I can tell you if that $2100 off list isn't all that great a deal for a used MX5100. Pretty sure you can get around that for a brand new one in most places....

/ L4240 vs MX5100.. tough choice.. #3  
I also looked at both and went with 5100 - liked the HP, and the lack of bells and whistles. Figured there was not as much that could go wrong.
Also if they rent them to farmers that maybe saying something right there..... BUT I can assure you the $2100 is not a great price, I went new and got more off. Keep looking and I think you will find a much more appealing price!

/ L4240 vs MX5100.. tough choice..
ok prices aside if you had the choice of either which would it be?

/ L4240 vs MX5100.. tough choice.. #5  
It sort of depends on what you want or need. The MX has a bit more HP so if you are doing HP intensive work that is the way to go. If you are looking for "features" and a little bit more 3pt lift, then the L is a better bet. I am not sure how wide the L can get but I know the MX has the ability to be set very wide in the rear which is help for those of us living in the hills.....
Both machines are well made, powerful, and would make a great addition to ones equipment shed, but the most important thing is carefully look at your uses and see what fit you best.

/ L4240 vs MX5100.. tough choice.. #6  
I went witht he 4240 because I wanted a front mount snow blower and I wanted to keep the rear pto free for a sander. The GL line had a center pto, the 5100 didn't. Now that I have gotten use to the 4240 and the features of the HST+, I wouldn't be without it.

For example the other day I was filling in a low spot on the side of my garage with dirt. The dirt wasn't loose stuff in a pile but was just a patch of ground out of site. What I was doing was driving to the spot in M with the H-DS in fast. Once I started driving the bucket into the ground I would push the H-DS lever without letting off the pedal to shift into slow (just like a lower gear) for more power and then as soon as I backed up I would shift the H-DS back into fast. Because of the H-DS feature I keep the rpms a little slower since engine power is not an issue.

Is it needed, no. But if you have to stop and shift from M to L and then back to M each time it's going slow you down. I also use the H-DS feature when working on the driveway. Whether it's snow blowing and dealing with deep spots that require you to have a little more speed accuracy or while pulling a drag and needing to be a little more precise it's just a handy feature.

I always say it's like power windows vs the hand crank style. If you don't mind leaning over to unroll the window and the electric option is not worth the extra money then the 5100 would be a great tractor for you. If you're looking for more of a basic but strong work horse then the 5100 is a good option. If, like me, you plan on owning the tractor for a very long time, aren't worried about bells and whistles breaking, will enjoy the extra features, and don't mind paying for them then the GL would be a better option.

/ L4240 vs MX5100.. tough choice.. #7  
Well lets see.......power is nice...mx5100........HST plus is really nice....l4240.
Just jump up to the L5240 and be done with it.:D:thumbsup:

/ L4240 vs MX5100.. tough choice.. #8  
Hi Code54, im back to looking at the L4400 because i dont like that i cant get the BH 92 with the MX5100 in Australia. Found out the mx has remotes at rear i think but not the L4400 HST4WD 4FEL BH92 with hyraulic thumb but dealer says can add a remote for extra money if i want to use extra implements like log splitters etc . Can you explain why what the difference between remotes and what is being used for the hydralic thumb please? Im trying to weigh up the pros and cons of going with 4400 to get the bh92 or get more hp with mx but not get the bh92 and ending up with smaller crap..lol

/ L4240 vs MX5100.. tough choice.. #9  
Both, or all three are going to be great tractors, can't really go wrong. I like simple and do not like paying for the bells and whistles. Mx5100 looks like a model I'd love to own! :cool:

/ L4240 vs MX5100.. tough choice.. #10  
1st let me say this i dont like all the bells an whistles on the fancy tractors.an heres why if the computer system goes down in the tractor its very costly an time consuming to fix.the MX5100 is a tough stout no frills tractor that can do alot of work.