Buying Advice LOOKING AT AN L3240 VS. L3400

/ LOOKING AT AN L3240 VS. L3400 #1  

TULLY2TH

Tractor
KUBOTA L-3240HST
I NEED A TRACTOR FOR OUR 70 ACRE HUNTING CAMP PARCEL. I WANT TO LOG THE PROPERTY, CUT WOOD, MAINTAIN AND PLOW A 300FT. GRAVEL ROAD THAT TRAVERSES A HILL THROUGH THE WOODS. I'M CONSIDERING THE L3240 OR L3400. CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH ADVICE ON WHAT I NEED AND THE BEST PRICING I CAN GET?

/ LOOKING AT AN L3240 VS. L3400 #2  
The L3800 replaced the L3400, has a bit more HP and diff styling. I just bought a L3800 and love it. IMO one of the best values in it's size range.

The 3240 is a grand L, higher end(price), heavier, more extras. Good strong tractor for it's size

You need to go look at and drive both and get the one you like best. Both are great tractors.

/ LOOKING AT AN L3240 VS. L3400 #3  
There are several recent threads similar to yours, so you might want to refer to them.

After looking at a L3400 and 3700 a couple of years ago, we decided we prefer the Grand L for the added size, weight, power and comfort though it comes at a significant increase and price.

/ LOOKING AT AN L3240 VS. L3400 #4  
Just to capture some of the things I mentioned the other day.

The L3240 is available with the LA724 Loader with is considerably stronger than the standard LA514 loader. The L3400 comes with the LA463 Loader and the L3800 comes with the LA524 Loader. Either loader on the L3240 is stronger than the loaders available on the L3400 or L3800. The LA724 also has 15ー more rollback on the loader bucket with is important if you want to carry any loose gravel, sand, mulch, etc. Now matter what you decide, make sure you order the heavy duty bucket.

You might also want to consider a grapple on the bucket if you plan to move any trees around. I attached a picture from this site so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about.

The L3240 weighs 3395# which is significantly more than the L3400 @ 2600# and the L3800 @ 2668#. I think for your application the more weight is beneficial.

Consider R4 tires instead of R1 tires if you'll be in the woods at all. The R4's won't have as good traction but they will be MUCH more puncture resistant. In either case you may decide to add tire chains depending on how muddy your conditions are. I attached another picture from this site with R1's on the left and R4's on the right.

Consider rear hydraulics if you want to run a log splitter, snow blower chute rotator, etc.

The options can add up fast so you'll really need to think about what exactly you want to do with the tractor.

I'm sure other people with respond with better advice.

Good Luck,
Kevin

Attachments

• DSC_0063small.JPG
    DSC_0063small.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 377
  • tractor001sm.jpg
    tractor001sm.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 1,086
   / LOOKING AT AN L3240 VS. L3400 #5  
Just to capture some of the things I mentioned the other day.

The L3240 is available with the LA724 Loader with is considerably stronger than the standard LA514 loader. The L3400 comes with the LA463 Loader and the L3800 comes with the LA524 Loader. Either loader on the L3240 is stronger than the loaders available on the L3400 or L3800. The LA724 also has 15ー more rollback on the loader bucket with is important if you want to carry any loose gravel, sand, mulch, etc. Now matter what you decide, make sure you order the heavy duty bucket.

You might also want to consider a grapple on the bucket if you plan to move any trees around. I attached a picture from this site so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about.

The L3240 weighs 3395# which is significantly more than the L3400 @ 2600# and the L3800 @ 2668#. I think for your application the more weight is beneficial.

Consider R4 tires instead of R1 tires if you'll be in the woods at all. The R4's won't have as good traction but they will be MUCH more puncture resistant. In either case you may decide to add tire chains depending on how muddy your conditions are. I attached another picture from this site with R1's on the left and R4's on the right.

Consider rear hydraulics if you want to run a log splitter, snow blower chute rotator, etc.

The options can add up fast so you'll really need to think about what exactly you want to do with the tractor.

I'm sure other people with respond with better advice.

Good Luck,
Kevin
I sure would like to get the grapple in the picture. Any idea how/where they are available.:thumbsup:

/ LOOKING AT AN L3240 VS. L3400 #6  
I have to agree with BlueGill - I also have a L3800 and own 18 acres of woods and trails. So far - it has done everything I have wanted it to. My soil is sandy and the R4 tires seem to work out just fine in both Summer and Winter here in Michigan. If you're going to get a Loader - get the Hydro trans - it's great. Also pay the extra money for the quick attach loader bucket. It makes switching FEL attachment VERY EASY. Good Luck....

/ LOOKING AT AN L3240 VS. L3400 #7  
im going to differ with the group on this 1.you have 70acs you want to maintain.so id step up to a l4400.that will give the power an loader lift that you need.

/ LOOKING AT AN L3240 VS. L3400 #8  
im going to differ with the group on this 1.you have 70acs you want to maintain.so id step up to a l4400.that will give the power an loader lift that you need.

L4400 is a great tractor, my brother in law bought one 3-4 years ago and loves it. I probably would have bought a 4400 if I hadn't found such a good deal on the 3800.

/ LOOKING AT AN L3240 VS. L3400 #9  
I have owned both tractors in question. Started with the L3400 with Ag tires but had to replace it because it didn't have a mid PTO which I needed for a front mounted snow blower. Our L3240 has filled Industrial tires on it. We can't put on chains w/o purchasing wheel extenders because of the lack of clearance between the inside of the tire and the fender- poor Kubota design. The L3400 had noticibly more power and far better traction in the snow and ice (not much mud here). It is much easier to install rear implements on the L3240. My recommendation, if you can afford it, would be to go with the L3240 and Ag tires. Good luck with your decision.

/ LOOKING AT AN L3240 VS. L3400 #10  
I thought I would add my $0.02 worth. About 2 years ago I was in the exact same situation you are in. We have two ranches one is about 70 the other is 200. At first I looked at the L3240 but was a little concerned it might be a touch too small so I rented one for a weekend from a local Kubota dealer. It was great but in the end I decided to go with the L3940 with the skidsteer option on the loader and opted for the factor third function to be added for a grapple.

Since then I have put about 300 hours on it a cleared over 40 acres of cedars, box blades roads, shredded many acres, moved dirt and ran the disc harrow all over the place that that little girl!

The additional horsepower has be well worth it to me and I almost wish I had one a touch bigger now, but I would never say that in front of her...

Good luck with whatever you decide, you will love a Kubota!

Mike