Comparison plowing with Gator 825i verus Kubota RTV 1100

/ plowing with Gator 825i verus Kubota RTV 1100 #1  

Mike007

I want to purchase either a John Deere Gator 825i or a Kubota RTV100 to plow snow. Does anyone know which plows more snow? I have heard the Hydrostatic Transmission on the Kubota's loses too much power to handle a heavy load (plowing, hauling, going up steep hills) and the Gator has great power for these loads. Has anyone plowed snow with both and can compare? Or has anyone plowed heavy/deep snow with the Kubota RTV?

/ plowing with Gator 825i verus Kubota RTV 1100 #2  
Hi Mike, :welcome: to TBN!!

To answer your question, although I've never plowed with an RTV, I do have a Gator HPX that I plow with all the time. I figured it would be nice for some quick plows of 1 to 3 inches for the speed of the Gator and the rest would have to be done with one of my bigger machines. Well, truth be told I've plowed over 3 feet of snow with this thing with ease. It's amazing how much snow it can handle. Really has made plowing snow a lot faster and easier.

I originally bought mine for use in the fields and had an open ROPS because I was getting in and out a lot. Once I started plowing a friend home made the cab for me and I was planning on taking it off in the summer so I could still have the open station but a guy stole the ROPS for scrap so now I just have to take the doors off. If your main use for the UTV is too plow snow you may want to consider the 1100 just for the fact of the nicer cab. My cab is nice, and keeps me warm, but the 1100 is like a car.

I really don't think that you could go wrong with either of the choices you've presented though.

Good luck:thumbsup:

/ plowing with Gator 825i verus Kubota RTV 1100 #3  
The largest width that I've used on a 1100 was the blizzard 78" and I've done the blade height plus some in near blue snow and was actually able to do it in two wheel drive! I don't recommen this blade unlss you are installing a lift kit as the plow frame is to low to the ground.
When doing this type of work weight is an advantage.

The Kubotas are more of a work machine and are capable of pulling and pushing larger loads for a longer time with the hydro which is at a disadvantage for joy riding and speeds over thirty MPH.

/ plowing with Gator 825i verus Kubota RTV 1100
Thanks Martian and Art. Art, when you say near blue snow, (I've never heard that term), does that mean very wet now? I kbnow the Kubota has much less ground clearance than the gator. Has that been a problem plowing or for general use? The Kubota has a more vertical steering wheen, power steering, and factory cab with heat, and more leg room than the Gator, so it is much more comfortable than the Gator. I just don't weant to be disappointed with the Kubota if it doesn't plow as deep of snow. But over plow height snow in 2WD is very impressive.

/ plowing with Gator 825i verus Kubota RTV 1100 #5  
The JD gators are wonderful machines but the Kubota RTV is a lot more of a work horse. With the 3 speed tranny and hydro there would be not much that would stop it.:thumbsup:

/ plowing with Gator 825i verus Kubota RTV 1100 #6  
I have a RTV1140 but I don't plow snow so have no input. Looks like you've gotten some good info here on the Kubota Tractor forum but you'll get more here on the RTV/UTV forum. ATVs & Utility Vehicles - TractorByNet.com

Thanks. I didn't realize there was a difference or that I was on the tractor blog. Will try the UTV blog too.

/ plowing with Gator 825i verus Kubota RTV 1100 #8  
We some times joke that is just some carribean water just a little colder.

When doing a clear cut or at banks pushed up it turns blue from the amount of moisture in it.

Thanks Art. Kind of thought that, but didn't know for sure.