Tractor Sizing I thought I found the right size tractor BUT

/ I thought I found the right size tractor BUT #1  

ponygirl

Tractor
Kubota B2910
now I'm second guessing myself. I have 7 very flat Florida acres that will be pasture for horses. I have 1 area that is low and becomes a lvery wet (read mini-lake) when we get heavy rains. I was all set at getting a 7500 with a FEL, RFM and a box blade but was told that this tractor might not be big enough. That it can't run anything bigger than a 4' box blade and a 4' bush hog. Not that I want a bush hog, but this was news to me. Is this tractor not the one?

/ I thought I found the right size tractor BUT #2  
You should decide what size inplements you want, then get the smallest machine that will handle them. Usually for an operation like yours, you will want a small machine, but not too small. One other thing to watch out for; is the weight. Generally, a heavier tractor does better, but if it is too heavy, it may be prone to sinking. Your dealer should be able to point out what does best in your area. While the differant brands are pretty similar, sometimes another brand will have a better "fit" for your needs. But then Kubota has quite a few models from which to choose...

/ I thought I found the right size tractor BUT #3  
<font color="blue"> That it can't run anything bigger than a 4' box blade and a 4' bush hog. </font>

It sounds to me like the B7500 would work well for you. I have 10 acres and a B7300, which is a bit smaller than yours and it works pretty well. The manual says I can go to a 5' hog, but I run a 4' and can load the tractor down pretty good with that. Having said that, I wish I'd gone with one that is slightly larger.

But it is a fairly light tractor, which will be good in boggy areas (although I can tell you that it is quite possible to get it stuck /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif). If your budget allows for larger, it probably wouldn't hurt, but keep in mind that larger tractors are less manuverable.

/ I thought I found the right size tractor BUT #4  
A 4' bush hog will do wonders. Whatcha hoggin'? 7 acres is not too much for a B7500 and a 4' bush handle to handle on a weekend, especially in Florida and flat land.
What's important is who told you it's not big enough. Do they have compact tractor experience? Or are they 35HP+ only tractor owners?
Check with your dealer and seek his input on if the B7500 is big enough for your needs.

/ I thought I found the right size tractor BUT
I just need to mow my pastures mainly. I want a RFM but someone told my SO that I need a bush hog. I tried to explain that a RFM is the correct implement but he's listening to some guy who has no clue about horses. THis person he's talking too told him that the RFM is for golf courses. I'm starting to wonder about the person he's talking too.....

/ I thought I found the right size tractor BUT #6  
Ponygirl:

maybe I should keep my mouth shut but here it go's...
I also live in florida and mow "bush hog" 5 acres for horse pasture. My thought is RFM mowers are just that for yard grade mowing I like to keep my pastures 6"-10" of grass not buzzed like a yard it's for eat'in not looking /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif but I will say when I'm done and sitting on the porch it looks good just thick but thats me and the way I like it to look.

I do this with a 18 hp Yanmar tractor with a 4' bush hog and yes before you ask, I would like a bigger tractor. I'm not up to date on my kubota tractors but I think the B7500 is like 20-21 hp??? and that hp rating will run a 4' bush hog and not a 5'
I guess it deponds just how fast you want to get your mowing done you'll need to jump up to 25 PTO hp to get your self a 5' bush hog.

I know, I know, your not talking about wanting a bush hog but I think it will serve you better for cutting pasture grass.

Whiskey

/ I thought I found the right size tractor BUT #7  
I'm in 100% agreement with Whiskey. Unless the person that puts crazy notions in your head wants to buy you a bigger tractor and bigger bush hog... A B7500 will easily handle the job. You should see what/where I bush hog, you can't see the tractor at times and when I look "on the hill" it looks great.

/ I thought I found the right size tractor BUT #8  
for your usage, i don't beleive the 7500 is too small, if u want u can jump up one size and check out a 2410. but when it rains dowm there(not that often right) just stay off the wet area. i pull a 5ft RFM behind my 2400 with not a problem, if the grass gets out of hand i just slow down and let the mower do the work, great advantage for using a hydro.

Attachments

• 258261-tractor, mower front view.jpg
    258261-tractor, mower front view.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 125
   / I thought I found the right size tractor BUT #9  
Why y'all telling the "girl" to get a small tractor? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif. If you need a 5 foot hog then you need the Kubota 2710 or the new 7800 which is the big brother to the 7500. I feel a 4 foot hog will do fine. Since it seems you intend to mow your pastuer regular I would consider getting the 5 foot for the conservation of time, your time. A 2710 or 7800 is only slightly bigger and heavier than a 7500/2410 and as long as you are not going to mow your lawn grass with the unit it sounds like you could use a slightly larger machine. What you need is an "estate cutter", similar to a hog but lighter duty with a faster blade speed. I guess you could use a RFM with the wheels set at max height. I think you need a cut around 6 inches so a dealer could possibly "customise" a RFM for your purpose. With a 2710 you could go to a 72 inch RFM or a 5 foot hog. J

/ I thought I found the right size tractor BUT #10  
ponygirl,

I agree that you need to determine which size implements you wish to operate and get an appropriately sized tractor. I think any of the B series Kubotas will work for you, but the higher hp end will handle larger instruments, thus do the jobs quicker.

IF you should decide on a B2710 or B7800 sized machine, I'd recommend that you ask your dealer to demonstrate the telescopic lower 3 pt. hitch ends of the B2910 to you to see how easy they make connecting implements. I'm not outright recommending the B2910, that decision is up to you, but if you don't like the idea of "muscleing" implements around, those telescopic links can save a lot of strain on the back. They can be put on the lower B-series tractors, if you wish. Just something to think about while you're making your decision.

Good Luck,

~Rick