Buying Advice KX 121-3 Buying Advice

/ KX 121-3 Buying Advice #1  

TractorBob1529

Silver Member
Tractor
MX5100DT
I'm looking for a used mini-excavator. Found a Kubota KX 121-3, 2002-ish model with 5500 hours. Got a chance to run it, seems strong, but nothing to compare to. How much should I pay, or should I get it at all? Looking to by immediately.

/ KX 121-3 Buying Advice #2  
I'm looking for a used mini-excavator. Found a Kubota KX 121-3, 2002-ish model with 5500 hours. Got a chance to run it, seems strong, but nothing to compare to. How much should I pay, or should I get it at all? Looking to by immediately.

5500 is quite a few hours. It was definetely a daily used machine. I would most concerned with maint records. Pull the floor up and remove the floor pan in the operators station to look for any leaks in the house. Listen for anny popping or clicking when changing swing directions. Note the condition of all of the bushings in the boom/arm. Check the track power. I had a daily used 121 with 2500 hrs i had for 6 years. So his usage was comparable to mine.

/ KX 121-3 Buying Advice
The engine compartment had no noticible leaks. Didn't think to look under the floor pan for leak, I'll check it. The guy is going to let me run it a couple of hour clearing some brush for him to get a better feel for the KX-121. Thanks for the advice, anything that I really need to check out?

/ KX 121-3 Buying Advice #4  
I would check the final drives. I had to change mine $$$$ also I would pull the belly pan off( 4 bolts) and inspect the rotary union for leaks and check the rotek for any loose bolts. Good toy . Cheers

/ KX 121-3 Buying Advice
Does it cost alot to repair the KX 121? If anyone had to replace big ticket items on the KX-121-3 please post.

/ KX 121-3 Buying Advice #6  
Well..... I bought my kx121-2 5 yrs ago for $14000, knowing i had to fix a few items. it was an ex rental that was abused. i had one final drive go....$4500 for one at kubota or buy 2 new after market for $4000+ the exchange of the good final. done
next i had a pump go...one of the pistons came apart. again kubota was $3000..i managed to find a pump for $1800 from my after supplier.
done
now i knew the rotek was on its way out so i finally decided to change...kubota $5000....I managed to find one for $2800....Done
that was a k*nty job.
I do all my own repair. this machine has paid for itself 3 or 4 times over.
she is pretty much a new excavator now...and it is looked after.
have a good look around and keep in mind that this stuff is made to wear out
i hate ex rentals..LOL

Attachments

• IMG_0208.jpg
    IMG_0208.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2,554
  • IMG_0239.jpg
    IMG_0239.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,706
Last edited:
   / KX 121-3 Buying Advice #7  
What is the price he's looking for? I just saw one with cab a/c hyd thmb quick change with 2 buckets '05 with 750 hrs for $30K. (I think in VA)

/ KX 121-3 Buying Advice
I got him down to $11k, it's got 5500 hr on it. Seems to be very solid, didn't notice any leaks. Not as nice as stormdodger and I am jelous about the cab.
***As a not, a buddy of mine found me a Hitachi EX50 for $12k with 4600 hr. Any thoughs on that?

Last edited:
   / KX 121-3 Buying Advice #9  
EX-50 a little bigger but I think that the art. boom on the kubota is a handy feature that I don't think the ex50 has. Price sounds good. Is it on rubber or steel?

/ KX 121-3 Buying Advice
The Hitachi had rubber tracts. I got the KX 121-3. :thumbsup: For 11K I couldn't fine a better deal. The high hours are a concern, but I think I can baby it.