Buying Advice Kubota M9540 DT-1 and M9540 DH...

/ Kubota M9540 DT-1 and M9540 DH... #1  

Jet Star

Tractor
1950 and 2 1952 8N's
Good Evening...

Would like some recommendations from the board on the subject tractors...

I will be buying a Kubota M9540 DT-1 or M9540 DH 4WD tractor within the next couple of days...

I will not be buying an FEL and I can get either tractor for less than $300 delta between the two tractors...

95% of this tractor's function will be pulling a 14'-15' batwing mower and I will be mowing 20-30 acres of grass...Not very hilly property at all (worst case would be 60' elevation change over 1000' distance)...

I'm being told that the DH is the way to go because I won't have to clutch to go into reverse...I've never had a tractor that I didn't have to clutch to put in reverse so I don't know if this is a big deal or not...

Again, for almost the same money, would this group go with the Hydraulic drive (DH) over the Synchro-Shuttle transmission and if so, why...

Which system is less problematic..??? Which system is the most field proven..???

I just want to make an informed decision when I buy...If these are both good drives and I can't go wrong with either system I would like to know that too...

I just don't want any problems down the road and clutching is not that big of a deal for me, might be later however...

Thanks in Advance for any assistance on this question...

Regards...

Rick

/ Kubota M9540 DT-1 and M9540 DH... #2  
We owned a Synchronized Shuttle 12/12 Case CX80 from 1998 when it was bought new until we traded it in on our Kubota M8540 Hydraulic Shuttle in 2010 which is pretty much the same tractor as the 9540, same frame, engine etc. We love the Hydraulic Shuttle Shift. We do however mow on slopes near ponds, drop offs etc., so there are a lot of direction changes.

We traded the Case because it spent more time in the shop than field not because of the clutching issue. It was a bit inconvenient for me as I have to clutch with my right leg, but I learned to manage. Neither of my sons had trouble with it, but much prefer the Hydro unit.

You may now feel no need for the Hydro Shuttle, but depending on how long you own your tractor age, arthritis etc. may convince you otherwise in years to come; maybe not.

I am not a mechanic, but the Synchro has a dry single plate while the Hydro has a multiple wet disc, so it "seems" the Hydro should outlast the Synchro, but I have never worn a tractor clutch out, so in real terms it may not make any difference.

Having used both, my preference will always be the Hydro Shuttle. You can still use the foot clutch if you prefer and it took me quite some time to break myself of the habit. The clutch is very light and smooth.

/ Kubota M9540 DT-1 and M9540 DH... #3  
If i was buying it would definately be the hydraulic shuttle. it is much easier/smoother to operate and if you ever go to sell the tractor resale value will be higher.

TripleR has a 8540 with hydraulic shuttle, if he doesn't see this thread send him a pm as he can give you first hand experience with it.

/ Kubota M9540 DT-1 and M9540 DH... #4  
Walked away from my computer for a few minutes in the middle of replying and you beat me to it. Haha.

/ Kubota M9540 DT-1 and M9540 DH... #5  
Its HD, not DH.

Hydraulic shuttle is becomming expected on this size tractor. You'll make up every dollar on resale.

/ Kubota M9540 DT-1 and M9540 DH... #6  
You CAN clutch it, if you want to. (and if it makes you feel better) :D
But, after the first few hours, you WON'T clutch it, because it's so much easier! :thumbsup:
I don't think you'll ever regret buying the Hydro.

/ Kubota M9540 DT-1 and M9540 DH... #7  
I have the little brother to what you are considering - a M7040 with the Hydro clutch. After 25 years of clutching a L3650 and 2 years with the M7040 I am FINALLY getting used to not using the clutch (most of the time).

The standard clutching is great for delicate positioning, like parking in a small barn, coming to an immediate stop, maneuvering through trees, and that sort of thing.

You'll get a little drifting when disengaging the Hydro but usually this doesn't matter.

The Hydro sometimes will engage a little more abruptly than slipping a standard clutch in my experience. But maybe not wearing the dry clutch against the flywheel is why the Hydro lasts so long.

/ Kubota M9540 DT-1 and M9540 DH...
Thanks to all for the comments...

Seems like the HD is the way to go...

Sure appreciate it...

Regards...

Rick

/ Kubota M9540 DT-1 and M9540 DH... #9  
Thanks to all for the comments...

Seems like the HD is the way to go...

Sure appreciate it...

Regards...

Rick

Gonna be a nice set up:thumbsup: Should make quick work of 20/30ac.:D
Both my tractors are sync.shuttle havent had any issues with either.You will like the hyd.shuttle and like said will help re-sale if ever desided....