HST plus vs HST : Worth it alone?

/ HST plus vs HST : Worth it alone? #1  

tpetty

In another thread, a person had stated that they wouldn't consider a Deere, or any tractor that didn't have the HST plus transmission -- that it is so superior, even a regular Kubota HST shouldn't be on my list of potential models.

I realize this thought is probably hyperbole to a degree. I know plenty of people are happy with their L4400, MX5100, Deere, etc. I've watched the Kubota videos.

My question is for those of you with experience with both. If you have had a tractor with a regular HST and also experience with the newer HST+, how much difference is there REALLY for routine (and admittedly what will be light/moderate usage.) Is it truly going to make my life so much better that that feature ALONE would be worth giving up 10 HP. (For example, the L3940 and MX5100) are similar priced, but 10 HP different, and the MX doesn't have the plus.)

/ HST plus vs HST : Worth it alone? #2  
I think all of the "M" series Kubotas use a geared drivetrain not HST.

I have had both. I have owned a BX, B3030 and currently a GL3240. It is nice having basically six gear ranges (two in each hydro range). Times when you might have needed low range on other tractors can be done in the mid range. Some of the other added functions like stall gaurd help a lot with things like loader work (whch is what I primarily use mine for). Deere also offers a similar anti-stall option but I do not recall what they call it.

/ HST plus vs HST : Worth it alone?
Both the MX4700 and MX5100 can be had with HST. Maybe this is recent.

/ HST plus vs HST : Worth it alone? #4  
The MX is really more of an older model Grand L than an M and as mentioned is available with HST.

/ HST plus vs HST : Worth it alone? #5  
I had a L3130 with HST,now a L4240 with HST+ and yes I prefer the HST+,I run in medium range most of the time and just go up or down as needed.Not a deal breaker but it is a very nice system.

/ HST plus vs HST : Worth it alone? #6  
I had a L3130 with HST,now a L4240 with HST+ and yes I prefer the HST+,I run in medium range most of the time and just go up or down as needed.Not a deal breaker but it is a very nice system.

Sorry to be so ignorant, but what IS "HST+"?

And while we're at it, what is the difference (if any, other than marketing and semantics) between an "HST" and an "HSD", as in the Kubota B3030HSDCC?

Thanks,

My Hoe.

P.S.: Is this a short enough post for those who find my posts too long to read, but not too long comment on, solely about their length? :D

/ HST plus vs HST : Worth it alone? #7  
Sorry to be so ignorant, but what IS "HST+"?

And while we're at it, what is the difference (if any, other than marketing and semantics) between an "HST" and an "HSD", as in the Kubota B3030HSDCC?

Thanks,

My Hoe.

P.S.: Is this a short enough post for those who find my posts too long to read, but not too long comment on, solely about their length? :D

Here you go. all you ever wanted to know about HST+ and then some

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzO_-LCd838]Kubota HST-Plus Transmission - YouTube[/ame]

James K0UA

/ HST plus vs HST : Worth it alone? #8  
Test drive and decide for yourself! The GrandL HST+ is sweet. Depends on what you NEED and what you WANT. Philip.

/ HST plus vs HST : Worth it alone? #9  
First off let me say if you don't have it you'll probably never miss it. That being said for loader work it's almost a must. When driving into a pile of dirt to move you simply push the lever into "turtle" and it's like shifting down a gear without even letting off the HST pedal and coming to a stop to shift. If it takes you 5 loads to move a pile it could mean stopping 10 times to shift into low, dig, then shift back to M to drive to where you want the load.

I use it while grading the driveway. If the tractor starts to load down pulling the grader up the hill the stall guard kicks in and shifts down seamlessly. While snow blowing if I get into a big drift it'll shift down to prevent the tractor from stalling, again seamlessly.

I have a shuttle shift backhoe and I'm always shifting between first and second gear whenever I'm doing loader work. For occasional use it's no big deal but over a day it adds up. It's just a matter of time before the other top tier tractors offer a system like it.

/ HST plus vs HST : Worth it alone? #10  
I find the HDS[hydro dual speed] is probably the most useful feature on my tractor especially for FEL work.After having it I think it would be frustrating to use a hydrostatic tractor without it.I wish my BX had it as well.

Last edited: