Diesles for 2014

/ Diesles for 2014 #1  

Monster5601

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030 R4 Tires
On the way home yesterday, I stopped off at my favorite tractor dealer to pick up oil and filters. He is a small owner operator dealership and he was telling me about a conversation he recently had with his factory rep.

He was telling me beginning with the January 2014 Kubota diesels builds, they will have to meet the next set of emission standards. This will require common rail injection with computer control and a particulate filter. He said this will add $3,500.00 to each diesel, across the diesel product line.

The story starting going south when he told me that the rep told him that only Kubota and Yanmar built engines will be required to meet the new emissions, the engines from China will get a pass since they are behind in development.

I realize that a good story isn't worth telling if it doesn't have drama but we both agreed that the rep was telling a story. But again, I could see our government doing something stupid.

I know this is all hear say but I'm curious if anyone else has heard about the up coming small diesel off-road engine emissions?

/ Diesles for 2014 #2  
This is a hard subject to understand and explain. All of Kubota's engines between 11 and 75 hp already meet T4i requirements (I am leaving out engines larger than 75 hp since this is a small percentage and to make it less confusing). All engines between 11 and 75 hp must meet T4f by Jan 1 2013. What is T4f? Exhaust emmisions, NOX, CO, PM, must be a agreed levels, and used with the appropriate fuel and oil (remember the changes to ULSDF and low ash oils?). It is up to the manufacturer to decide how they want to do this. What if an engine manufacturer (Kubota) or an equipment manufacturer (Kubota) are not ready to meet this by 2013? They can 'flex' a percentage or a number of T4i engines depending upon the volume they previously delivered. This is global legislature, not just US. From memory, US, Canada, Japan, and EU are supporting T4. Some contries are supporting T3, India, China. Some countries are supporting T2, Mexico, Australia, Brazil, Argentina, Russia. The rest currently have no legislation in place. So, can China flood market with non-emmision engines and tractors? No, they can flex a certain percentage or number of T4i engines, just like Kubota, Deere, etc, can. After that number has been reached, they must come with a T4f solution. Is this increasing cost to us? Bet your butt it is. But it is also giving us clean air. We must advance as a human race. This is just new technology. Emmisions and engines have been continuously advancing since the day they were first built, and this is just the next step. This is a simple answer to a big question. I have read pages and pages on diesel engine exhaust emmisions, and sat through dozens of power points on this subject with Caterpillar, Cummins, and Deere industrial engine groups. Sorry, but this cannot be entirely explained in one post on TBN. Want to avoild the next engine change, BUY NOW (nothing new, it is called a pre-buy, everybody does it before the next step comes out). Check this out and do more searching for more information. Emission Standards: USA: Nonroad Diesel Engines. Philip.

/ Diesles for 2014 #3  
Kubota has had many tier 4i compliant engines for several years, the big problem is going to come at full tier 4 (whenever that is). Thats when your BX will need a $3000 exaust scrubber.

We've pretty well accepted the DEF solutions as being a fair way forward. The fuel savings is paying off the cost of the hardare and fluid, however the RIO on that stuff won't happen on low use equipment. It would nice if there where variances granted based on expected hours of use.

/ Diesles for 2014 #4  
I will in all likelihood stick with a good used tractor for my next purchase.

/ Diesles for 2014 #5  
Looks like justification for me to trade all of mine just before the new requirements.:thumbsup: I thought I was finished with trading!!!!:laughing::laughing:

/ Diesles for 2014 #6  
Kubota has had many tier 4i compliant engines for several years, the big problem is going to come at full tier 4 (whenever that is). Thats when your BX will need a $3000 exaust scrubber.

We've pretty well accepted the DEF solutions as being a fair way forward. The fuel savings is paying off the cost of the hardare and fluid, however the RIO on that stuff won't happen on low use equipment. It would nice if there where variances granted based on expected hours of use.

Insane...:confused2:

/ Diesles for 2014 #7  
I'm in a tight spot. We plan on moving to Tennessee next summer, but haven't purchased the house yet. My B2620 is enough tractor for the 11.65 acres I have right now. My fear is we will find a great deal on a 40+ acre home, and I'll need a larger machine, and the new regs will have kicked in.

Hate to buy a Grand L this year only to find I'm in a smaller lot when we move....

Oh well. It is what it is, I can't control the government, but I'm not going to let them control me as long as I can.

Maybe I'll buy the Grand L this year, and hope for a great resale after the new emissions kick in, these pre T4F machines might carry a bit of a premium for a long while.

/ Diesles for 2014 #8  
I'm in a tight spot. We plan on moving to Tennessee next summer, but haven't purchased the house yet. My B2620 is enough tractor for the 11.65 acres I have right now. My fear is we will find a great deal on a 40+ acre home, and I'll need a larger machine, and the new regs will have kicked in.

Hate to buy a Grand L this year only to find I'm in a smaller lot when we move....

Oh well. It is what it is, I can't control the government, but I'm not going to let them control me as long as I can.

Maybe I'll buy the Grand L this year, and hope for a great resale after the new emissions kick in, these pre T4F machines might carry a bit of a premium for a long while.

All or the new Kubota tractors are T4i (tier 4 interim) now. On engines this size, I cannot imagine a $3000 adder when they go T4f (tier 4 final). Philip.

/ Diesles for 2014 #9  
my kubota dealer told me he has bought a year supply ahead to advoid selling the new tier 4 equipment just yet. so far it has just affected the M series. like was said before, if you are going to buy a new tractor, NOW is the time. i have been eyeing a b3300su and this new tier 4 is going to push me to buy now rather then wait. there almost certainly will be "bugs" to work out for the first year or so and i do not want to get caught in those "bugs". remember the "NEW" tier 4 standards are NEW and new always has bugs to work out. it might work good in the concept and test phase, but has not been longevity tested in the real world yet. the tractors that haven't been converted yet, have been refined for the past few years, so they have almost all the bugs worked out. where i work, when mack and international trucks came out with this particulate filter and regen system stuff, there was bugs to work out. any time something new comes out, there will be issues that need refined, so that is why i will probably buy that new b3300su now, before the new tier 4 hits the smaller hp engines.

/ Diesles for 2014 #10  
My 2009 Kubota L3940 has a Tier 4 interim engine in it. It is already here, and there are no problems. The Tier 4 final engines over 175hp are in new off road equipment now. Tier 4 final engines have been in over the road trucks (pick-up and big-rigs) since 2010. Fear not change, accept it. Philip.