Is an L4240 big enough?

/ Is an L4240 big enough? #1  

tpetty

Had a quote on a 4240 with loader, third function, etc. was ready to give the ok.

However, this morning was the high bidder at a land auction, and now have 77 acres. Only 25 is tillable, rest is wooded ravines.

I plan on buying a grapple to help clear some land for a house and trails. The tillable land will be rented, or ultimately become pasture, so I'm not worried about that.

The 4240 should be fine for blading a lane, bush hog, etc.

Is it enough for grapple work, or do I need more hp?

/ Is an L4240 big enough? #2  
As the owner of a L4240 HSTC;I do exactly what you are planning.Maintain 100 plus acres with no problem.You don't need anymore HP for grapple work just ballast.
I have and use with mine
two bottom plows
roto-tiller
8ft.snow plow(Fel Mounted)
7ft.rear blade
6ft.box blade
cultivator

Green's Machine's Thumb(on bucket)
tooth-bar
Load your rear tires,a move up in HP,say a L5740 would not gain any weight
Mine as is weighs about 7,000 with FEL and Loaded rears.

/ Is an L4240 big enough? #3  
If you go with a third function...I would recommend W.R.Long over the Kubota factory unit.

/ Is an L4240 big enough? #5  
If you do some reading on this forum,myself and numerous others have had problems with Kubota's third function.One fellow even traded tractors (to JD) because it couldn't be fixed.My dealer has been great,trucked mine three times to his shop to try and repair..didn't happen.Kubota has a design flaw here.

/ Is an L4240 big enough? #6  
I maintain 400 acres with a L3800. Have used an old L3750 for 10-12 years and like the 3800 better, although it's smaller.

Have a friend with around 100 acres and a 4240, he's happy. I think you will be fine. :thumbsup:

/ Is an L4240 big enough? #7  
My L3940 is very effecient with 6' bush hog, 6' mower, 6' pulverizer, 6' box blade, and FEL. I do not have a grapple though. Nice machine considering size, power, weight, performance. Philip.

/ Is an L4240 big enough?
I gave the go ahead to order it.

New 4240 hydrostatic with quick attach FEL, heavy duty bucket, industrial tires, 3rd function on loader, one rear hydraulic, rear work light, loaded rear tires, hooks welded to bucket.

$30k