Buying Advice New member looking for advice.

/ New member looking for advice. #1  

Issh

Tractor
Craftsman
Hello all. Great forum.

I have a little over 1 acre to mow. Half of it is sloped probably 12 degrees or so. The bottom of my lot is marshy/wet. I've been mowing it for the last 10 years with a craftsman riding mower. But I have outgrown it, literally. lol. I'm too uncomfortable on regular riding mowers so I've been looking at the Kubota BX1860. It's very comfortable and looks as if it would last me a life time. I would also use it to push snow out of my driveway.

My question is, am I crazy for buying a $11,000 tractor for 1 acre of mowing? The money isn't an issue to me but is the tractor overkill for what I need to do?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

/ New member looking for advice. #2  
Here is a clip I puled off the web and there are plenty like them! Might help you out! I think every Boy inside ever Man needs a TRACTOR!:)

:welcome: to TBN! :thumbsup:

Happy :tractor: ing!

/ New member looking for advice. #3  
If so, I'm crazy to. I mow a little bit more than you, maybe 1.5 to 2 acres, but a lot of my yard is on a hill also. With four wheel drive, a roll bar and saftey belt, it seems much safer. I also use mine with a front end loader for moving dirt, hauling wood, and removing snow. I've had mine for about 4 years, and I'm still asking myself how I got by without it.

They are amazing little machines, and if you get one, go ahead and get the end loader, you will use it more than you think. Probably a third of the hours on mine are from using the end loader. Good luck and your up coming purchase.

/ New member looking for advice. #4  
Go for it! I bought a Deere 4100 (1500 pound machine) for my half acre just to blow snow on my 50 foot drive as well as that of a few neighbors that I do for no charge.

/ New member looking for advice. #5  
Weight is your only concern . When we've had alot of rain ( often happens
with a 6' a year average ) mine sinks in and makes horrible indentations
on the lawn . At the moment , 30% of my 2.5 acre lawns are off-limits
for another week , but the grass is already 10" ............:(

My neighbour's JD748 is way lighter , and he has no lawn destruction
like I have to deal with.
Get a demo on your yard before you purchase

/ New member looking for advice. #6  
ditto OrangeRidge's advice

my yard is so wet I slid about 30 feet down hill in the mud ...no go
so i borrowed an X748 to see what happens and it went up no probs .. its about 100kg lighter but main advantage are the Carlisle HDAP tires .. awesome grip!!!

So if your yard is marshy don't get the turf tires .. the treads fill up with mud and they become useless .. get bar tread or something like Carlisle HDAP ..

/ New member looking for advice. #7  
Here's a comparison of sorts ;

Attachments

• tyre types.jpg
    tyre types.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 106
   / New member looking for advice. #8  
9 years ago I bought some acres to eventually build a house on. Few months later I started building. It's hillside, rocky, some gullies and trees. Have done some snow moving on my drive but not much.
I decided I to would buy a lifetime mower. 4WD was pointed out as a requirement on my property and the recommendation was diesel engine. OK, shopped Kubota, JD and NH. JD was $3000 more than Kubota and NH was $2500 more than Kubota so I bought the Kubota from Barlows. I also shopped other Kubota dealers for many miles around and none were even close to his price and he's 7 miles from my house.:)
I bought a BX2200 MMM and added the high priced wheelbarrow on the front since it was my once in a lifetime mower and thought I'd splurge. If I hadn't bought the FEL maybe, just maybe I wouldn't have realized these machines are tractors that mow and not bought/traded another 12 Kubotas from Barlows.:D
If your yard is grass and not mud I'd get turf tires. I've used turfs when I cleared snow from my steep driveway and couldn't believe how well they worked. I get turfs for BXs, R/I4s for B size tractors and have Ags on one (B2320) that's for gardening but it just came that way and I'd be just as satisfied with R/I4s on it.
Sit on any model your considering, drive it around the dealers lot and then do your math and then make your decision and sign the purchase papers.:thumbsup:

/ New member looking for advice. #9  
I think there was a post about a US owner getting Carlisle tires instead of turfs for a new machine from the dealer for a few $ extra?

all I know is that a X748 with Carlisles will go where my BX2360 with turfs wont...and the pamphlets say that a BX2360 is 585kg and a X748 622kg (i assume that the Bota weight is with no deck)

so yeah get a demo first before you spend the big $

/ New member looking for advice. #10  
Before you spend that cash go check out a Simplicity Conquest. I have one with a 54 inch deck and a 42 inch snow blower attachment.