ZD331 or ZD326?

/ ZD331 or ZD326? #1  

ka41

Silver Member
Tractor
2009 L5240HST
I posted this in the lawn and garden but only received 2 responses so I'm trying here. I probably should have posted here first since it is about buying. I'm looking to buy a Z this month because of the rebates. I'm can't make up my mind between the two. I will be cutting 3.5 ac every week and 5 every other week. All flat land. The price difference is around $1100 and from reading Kubota's website the only difference I see is the hp. I also looked on Kubota's site to find fuel consumption comparisons but couldn't find anything. I hate to spend an extra $1100 for just more hp but I don't want to regret no getting it if I have to have it for the amount of yard that I'm mowing. Any opinions?

/ ZD331 or ZD326? #2  
I only sell 331's with 72" decks or with the 60 and a grass catcher. We do have hills!!!

/ ZD331 or ZD326?
I only sell 331's with 72" decks or with the 60 and a grass catcher. We do have hills!!!

And you are telling me this because.........

/ ZD331 or ZD326? #4  
I have the zd326. Got it last summer and love it. I cut Bout 4 1/2 acres every two weeks. My neighbor has a 28hp I think a 2003 model,and that's what lead me to mine. He cuts about 10 acres as often as I do. I honestly don't think mine is underpowered at all, now, I have a rear discharge 60" deck. The salesman told me the 331 is warranted only when you need the 72" deck and your cutting much heavier grass than our Bermuda and St. Augustine. Good luck in whatever you decide.

/ ZD331 or ZD326? #5  
I have a f2680 with 72" deck and it has ample power. Extra power is only warranted if you are going to use other attachments.

/ ZD331 or ZD326?
I don't plan on using additional attachments so I guess I'll get the 326.

/ ZD331 or ZD326? #8  
I posted this in the lawn and garden but only received 2 responses so I'm trying here. I probably should have posted here first since it is about buying. I'm looking to buy a Z this month because of the rebates. I'm can't make up my mind between the two. I will be cutting 3.5 ac every week and 5 every other week. All flat land. The price difference is around $1100 and from reading Kubota's website the only difference I see is the hp. I also looked on Kubota's site to find fuel consumption comparisons but couldn't find anything. I hate to spend an extra $1100 for just more hp but I don't want to regret no getting it if I have to have it for the amount of yard that I'm mowing. Any opinions?

I faced a decision much the same last year when it came time to replace the mower. I have just around 4 acres to cut and for the most part flat. I went to my favorite tractor dealer and asked him what I needed. My dealer is as honest as the day is long and he has always steered me in the right direction. He has a way of selling me what I need and not what I want or think I want.

I started off talking about a 331 with a 72 inch deck (you know, that Tim the Tool Man Taylor more power thing us men have). Well, thanks to him I discovered that most landscaping is set on 60" spacing, just for the purpose of grass cutting. He goes on to tell me that if I ever wanted to sell it, it would be much easier to sell a 60" deck over a 72" deck. Also, the 60" deck will fit on most trailers, most notable low trailer decks with wheels above the loading deck and also squeeze in through gate openings.

Now I'm down to a 60" deck and I started looking at the ZD326. He told me you don't need the 326 with a 60" deck unless you plan on collecting the cuttings, then the additional horse power is needed. I wasn't going to collect and if I did I still could. Remember, the ZD's are commercial quality design for all day every day use.

I was reluctant so he had a ZD323 with a 60" deck sent out to my property to try, if I didn't think it was enough machine he would drop of the ZD326 for me to try.

The only thing he collected from me was a signature for the ZD323 purchase.

This machine has ample power, in fact, I don't even run full throttle when cutting, I just don't need the power and ground speed is more than I need. I use about quart, quart and a half of diesel and burn up less that two hours of time to cut.

I do not remember the price difference between the 323 and the 326 but I remember around $1k difference. I paid $11,900 OTD (6% sales tax) for the ZD323 last July.

The only addition I added were industrial tires which I use in the spring because we get a lot of standing water. You should see the ZD323 mow through tall wet grass, the engine doesn't even load down.

My advise, try a 323 and save fuel and initial costs.

Last edited:
   / ZD331 or ZD326?
Why spend the extra money if you don't need to!

Art, I re-read what you posted and now understand what you were trying to say. Thanks for letting me know. Sorry about the confusion.

/ ZD331 or ZD326?
Monster5601, thanks for sharing your experience. I think I will be going with the 326. As you stated earlier about "Tim the tool man Taylor more power thing", I cant resist.