B or L again????

/ B or L again???? #1  

Worksmart

Silver Member
Tractor
L6060, BX22, 1953 Farmall Super A, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1964 International Cub, 1966 International Cub, 1976 International Cub
Just trying to put to use the knowledge I've gained from everyone over the past year or so. I picked up a BX22 last summer and have been totally /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gifsatisfied so I trust I'll get the same good and usable info this time....... The story....

28 acres may be coming into the family(Mom/Dad). 2-3 acres mowable lawn (flat); 15-16 acres moderately wooded/mature hardwoods, wet in spots(rolling/some steeper ridges); 10 acres overgrown i.e. tall grasses, shrubs, saplings etc(gently rolling); 600ft gravel/crushed asphalt driveway and 1/2 mile private gravel road(maintenance shared with neighbors)

Tasks: brush hogging, trail creating/maintaining, creek/pond/drainage maintenance, lawn mowing, driveway maintenance/snowplowing, some land clearing/logging, landscape installation/maintenance, etc. etc. etc. These tasks will mostly be done by my brother and myself. Snowplowing maybe left to mom/dad(both in their 60's) as I'm about 40 minutes and brother is about 1+ hour away from property.

Budget: $20,000 +/-

Tractor: B2910/7800 or L3130/3430/3830 (Hydrostatic for sure) Ag tires for maximum traction. The woods are wet and squishy.

Implements: FEL, brush cutter, boxblade, backblade, off the bat and others added as needed/wanted /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Leaning toward lawn/garden tractor for grass as septic field is in the lawn area /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif.

I'm leaning toward the Grand L's as more suitable for this potential situation. Have I learned well???.....Grasshoppers??? Chuck

/ B or L again???? #2  
Budget aside, and leaning on all the things I KNOW (the joke of course is that it is mostly TBN knowlege, not experience /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif), the perfect solution would be an L3830 with all the great implements it will run + a Kubota ZD mower!!

I do think you will need the L series tractor/implements to do the work quicker and easier. The 2910 would probably do much of it, but you can't substitute for all the weight, heft, and lift ability of the Grand L series. The L may be too heavy for your mowing if the leach field is fragile. There are lots of folks (knowingly or otherwise) that drive heavy tractors and cars/trucks over leach fields all the time.

Terry

/ B or L again???? #3  
I have 24.5 acres, a 1000 ft crush driveway I snow blow (140+ inches per year), 2.5 acres of mowing, the balance is hilly and wooded. With my budget of $20k I went with the B7800. I couldn't go the extra 4-5k for the L series. I take delivery Saturday, so I will let you know how things work out. From what I understand the 7800 will do what I want. I went with turf tires and chains for when I get in the woods.

BOL, Frank /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ B or L again???? #4  
Hi,

I say for 28 acres go for at least the L3430. I have a B2910 and I must tell you after sitting on a L3130 it now is looking really small to me. I have four acres and now think I could be happy with the 3430!

Funny...the B2910 looked bigger that I would ever want when I started my tractor searching adventure. Now it just fits perfectly. And when I park it and sit down by my pond and look at it sitting there a couple hundred feet away, I can't help but think "gee...it's a little on the small side, but still does a lot of work..."

If I had 28 acres...no doubt in my mind...the 3430 would be the smallest tractor I would consider. No doubt about it...

/ B or L again???? #5  
Size wise the L3130 and the L3430 are both the same. One has a higher HP diesel, but other than that they are identical. The L3830 is the first "real" step up. But even then it's only 2.7 inches longer and it only weighs 35 lbs. more. Power is the main difference, with 24HP on the L3130 HST and 30.5 on the L3830 HST. The L3430 HST falls in between at 27.0, which isn't enough to move up to a larger cutter, but may add somewhat of a cushion power wise (if you're fudging on the recommended implements).