Grand L 30 Series HP question - Need Help

/ Grand L 30 Series HP question - Need Help #1  

etgjr

Tractor
Kubota 4330HST, 853FEL
Hi All,

I'm considering a Grand L 30 Series. I have read many, many helpfull post...thanks!

But I have some questions. I have 250a in Northern Michigan (UP), about 40a of fields/apple trees-flat, the balance is rolling to steep hills with lots of hardwood trees. Half mile county road that the county poorly maintains.

I want to keep my woods roads maintained and mowed, move gravel, ditch and maintain the county road better than what the county does. A little field mowing and some post hole digging. Heavy snowblower in the future (200+ inches each winter). Clean up some old falling down farm buildings. Initial work will tax me and the tractor more than the maintenance work in the future.

I looked at the 30 Series and was very impressed with the build quality, this board supports my view and a friend has a smaller Kubuto and loves it.

I'm considering a XX30 with LA723 FEL, a 5' or 6' Bush Hog, 6' Box Scraper, 6' or maybe larger Back Blade. I'm looking at the GST even though a lot of folks here go with the HST. $3000 more for HST and it seems to me the GST will work fine for my applications.

I'm lost on the HP. Dealer says 3130 will do it all, many post on this board says the 3130 will do it all but others have bought more HP.

Any comments would be most appreciated on which XX30 you far more experienced folks would suggest.

Thanks, Ed

/ Grand L 30 Series HP question - Need Help #2  
Well, if you've read all the post then you know I'm in the same boat. I don't feel qualified to answer your questions as I have the same ones too! But I do know that the L3130 HST is only a $500 upgrade from the L3130 GST here in my area. If your dealer is quoting $3000 it's time to look for a new dealer!

/ Grand L 30 Series HP question - Need Help #3  
Ed,

I don't have a new tractor either, but I suggest you look at TractorSmart for suggested list pricing on the various models. Keith is correct about the price difference between GST & HST - and that's "list". I don't know what the market is like in the UP, but if it's that out of line, I'd be looking to buy elsewhere and have it trucked in. Any dealer will do warranty work - if you ever need it.

It seems to me that with 250 acres and a county road to maintain, you might want more horses than the 3130 brings with it.

/ Grand L 30 Series HP question - Need Help #4  
I am not yet a Kubota owner, but getting close. I became familiar with the Grand L Series when I borrowed my neighbor's L3130 with FEL to move some snow last winter (we are located in Northern VA and had a lot more than the usual amount of snow this time). I loved the tractor, but felt that it could use a little more power for the pace that i like to do things. I am guessing that the 3130 can do all that you want to do, but more horsepower means that you can do more work in a given time frame. This assumes that the operator is applying enough skill to the task to take advantage. I am looking at the 4330 and would probably seriously consider the 5030 if I had your place, which is a lot bigger than mine. Good luck.

And by the way, you can look up the list prices for the Kubota models on Tractorsmart.com and you will find that the cost difference between the GST and HST transmission is very small- not $3,000. Could be that your dealer has a GST on hand and would have to order the GST.

/ Grand L 30 Series HP question - Need Help #5  
I found the price difference between the GST and HST to not even be an issue. One thing about HST is that it will indeed take some practice on utilizing the power of it. When your in medium, for example, realize that you have the capability to go 7 mph or slightly more. On many manuals, that puts you into 5th or 6th gear. Using those gears while doing loader work is going to be tough, especially on 8 speed manuals. You can however do it with great success on HST if you learn to listen to the engine and the loads affect on it. When the RPM drops, you must also back off on the hydro pedal to accomodate this. It takes a little practice, but in a short amount of time, it's going to be second nature. After mowing my entire place with my L3830 HST, I have mastered the pedal! What an awesome setup these L30's are. Rat...

/ Grand L 30 Series HP question - Need Help #6  
Oh my God, another Michigander!!!!!!!!!

If you want a smaller unit, get the Kubota L3430HSTC. If you want a big unit, get the 5030HSTC. I'm prejudiced 'cause I have the 5030. Do to the fact that you are a Yooper (I don't expect any else to understand this), you need a cab tractor. It gets cold and windy up there just like it does down here in the lower, only more so up there. The air conditioning is nice for those few warm days and the excellent stereo/radio will pull in WJR for your enjoyment. Besides, you will be warm and cozy as you pull my stuck snowmobile out of a drift and chastise me for not staying on the trail which I never do when I ride in the UP.

Attachments

• 265597-T-CAT.jpg
    265597-T-CAT.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 95
   / Grand L 30 Series HP question - Need Help #7  
Besides, people down south and out in the south west don't understand the COLD thing.

/ Grand L 30 Series HP question - Need Help #8  
We have cold fronts in Texas. Just last summer it got down to 95 one day! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Grand L 30 Series HP question - Need Help #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( We have cold fronts in Texas. Just last summer it got down to 95 one day! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif )</font>

It never gets to 95 here in the summer. 80's maybe. No wonder my wife wants to retire to the Austin area. I'd better take a lot of deoderant with me. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Grand L 30 Series HP question - Need Help #10  
stay up north, too darn hot down there. besides i love freezing when i plow snow /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif