Buying Advice B3300su or L3130?

/ B3300su or L3130? #1  

DEK

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 641, Kubota L3200 HST, Kubota RTV X1120D
I can get a new B3300su HST with FEL and any style tire for $14.9K, and I also am looking at a 2004 L3130HST with LA724 loader, quick attach bucket, and back blade with about 880 hours for $12K. It needs new front tires and a new front light assembly (cracked lens). I think those items will cost $500, so total is looking like $12.5K. The filters are marked 1/11 863 hours so it was serviced about a year ago, but not run much. I have about 80 acres of hunting property that is almost completely wooded. I want a tractor to grade and maintain the road, .5 miles, in summer and assist with plowing in the winter. I guess I would like to use it to move firewood also. I do have about 3 acres elsewhere that I mow with a 5' Ford 939 3pt mower. I do have a Ford 641 '50's model. I really don't need a different tractor, but I want one to "play" with. I've been looking at Kubotas for years drooling and yearning to own one. I know it's almost like comparing apples and oranges, big frame/small frame, new with 3 year warranty/ 8 years old almost 900 hours and no warranty, etc./etc. One of my concerns is the size of trailer and truck needed to haul the L3130.

What is the difference in a B3300su, B3300suhsd, and a B3300suhsdp?

Can anyone offer advice or help me decide?

Thanks a lot.

/ B3300su or L3130? #2  
I can get a new B3300su HST with FEL and any style tire for $14.9K, and I also am looking at a 2004 L3130HST with LA724 loader, quick attach bucket, and back blade with about 880 hours for $12K. It needs new front tires and a new front light assembly (cracked lens). I think those items will cost $500, so total is looking like $12.5K. The filters are marked 1/11 863 hours so it was serviced about a year ago, but not run much. I have about 80 acres of hunting property that is almost completely wooded. I want a tractor to grade and maintain the road, .5 miles, in summer and assist with plowing in the winter. I guess I would like to use it to move firewood also. I do have about 3 acres elsewhere that I mow with a 5' Ford 939 3pt mower. I do have a Ford 641 '50's model. I really don't need a different tractor, but I want one to "play" with. I've been looking at Kubotas for years drooling and yearning to own one. I know it's almost like comparing apples and oranges, big frame/small frame, new with 3 year warranty/ 8 years old almost 900 hours and no warranty, etc./etc. One of my concerns is the size of trailer and truck needed to haul the L3130.

Can anyone offer advice or help me decide?

Thanks a lot.

i have been looking at buying a b3300su"hsd" myself recently. never knew they had that many variations "su, suhsd, suhsdp". i will have to look into this and get back. might be just different modifications between models. my first guess is that the "su" and "suhsd" are the same. will check into.

as far as the b3300su vs the L3130, that is up to you. both will suit your needs. question is, why are the front tires wore out at 880 hours with cracked lens. (used rough?) i don't know that, but something to look into. i have a b7800 (very simular to b3300su) same exact amount of hours (880) and my front tires still have about 80% still on them. i mostly use mine for fire wood (3ph winch, skidding, 3ph wood splitter), but also bush hogging, plowing snow in winter (multiple driveways) and have moved tons and tons of dirt and stone with it. i have been on dirt roads, logging roads, large stone based driveways, grass, mud, and snow/ice and my front tires are still in great shape (r-4 industrials, might be a little different if L3130 tires are r1 ags)

anyway, the L series like you said is bigger/heavier and yes will pull more just because of that. L3130 has a 3 cylinder engine, b3300 has 4 cylinder engine. L3130 has position control 3ph, b3300 has 1/4" valve 3ph (poistion control will maintain height while running, 1/4" valve will slowly leak down like a front loader hydraulics would) not too bad and doesn't bother me, but might you. loader capacity on the L will be more, around 400-500lbs more lift then the la504 on the b3300. i am sure there things that are different, but those are the major.

weight of the b3300 is around 2600 lbs with fel and loaded tires. be about 200lbs more if it has the large r-4 industrials on it. i am not sure of the L weight, but guessing around 3500lbs with fel and loaded tires. i trailer my b7800 (same weight as b3300) with my 7000lb cap. ta trailer behind one of my 1/2 ton trucks without trouble. bogs down on hills in my area, but that is what a load does. i could haul the L with my set up, but would be pushing it and probably couldn't haul it with attachments like i can with the b.

if it were me (and i am partial to the b series, i just like them better and think they are a more for the money then the L series) i would get the b3300su.(hsd) (grand L's are a different story). i think you would be fine with that tractor to do your work. i use my b7800 for my small fire wood/landscaping business and it works great. (a L would be too big for me) i do a lot of what you mentioned you want to do, and get along fine. sometimes it is more technique then brute power and force. but sometimes, no matter what technique you try, power and force is the only way. there has been times i could have needed a bigger tractor, but for the 99% of the time, it wouldn't be worth it, or in your case maybe the risk of a used tractor without warrenty, compared to a brand new tractor with warrenty.

this is just my experiences and opinions. good luck and enjoy your new "toy" if you do get it. in my opinion, kubota makes great equipment, so you are on a good track.:thumbsup:

/ B3300su or L3130? #3  
First, If your financing the new Kubota with 0% interest will cost less per month for 60 months than the used Kubota.
Second, I usually buy new instead of used.
My experience: BX2200 MMM FEL for 1 year (First tractor) traded to a B7800 FEL for 3 years which I traded to a L3240HST FEL for under a year which I traded to a B3200HST FEL.
I used a Rear Finish Mower behind the B7800 and it would pull to the top of my steepest hill with no lose of power or slowing down. The L3240 (Grand) would start slowing down pulling the same Landpride 6' RFM before cresting the hill. Guess !700lbs vs 3700lbs with basically same HP has to have some impact.
I to trailored the B7800/B3200/L3240 on my same 16' dual axle trailer. Big difference. Didn't like pulling the L at all.
Guess you know which way I'm leaning.:)

/ B3300su or L3130? #4  
I really can't improve on the information given so far so I won't try.

I bought a 2003 L5030 a couple of years ago with 735 hours and it now has close to 1300. I replaced the front tires at about 1000 hours.

I own tractors with the quarter inching 3PH and won't own another, so while I really like the B2630, 3030 and 3000 not so much on the others.

It really is an apples oranges in many ways B vs L and old v new.

One thing you need to know is if the valves were adjusted at 800 hours as this needs to be done and that will add cost if it hasn't. I bought mine from the dealer with the valve adjustment and full service included and they had all the service record there.

Only you can determine which way to go, just too many variables for me to offer a worthwhile assessment.

/ B3300su or L3130? #5  

Thanks a lot.

from what i have looked at all 3 tags describe the exact same tractor and are just different variations of how and who is using them. the full title is b3300suhsdp and i am guessing b3300 "special utility hydro static diesel package"