Buying Advice B3300su & 1/4" valve

/ B3300su & 1/4" valve #1  

DEK

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 641, Kubota L3200 HST, Kubota RTV X1120D
I am real close to buying a Kubota B3300su with FEL and R4 tires (loaded), but I'm concerned about the 1/4" valve vs position control. I have a 5' rotary mower that I would use with it, and I'm wondering how difficult it is to set the cutting height and how often I'll have to "bump" the control to maintain the setting? Also, how does the valve work with a back blade? Basically, does the 3 pt valve work pretty easily with 3 pt attachments?

On another note, I've read some comments about vibration when rpms are elevated. Any comments about that?

I am having a hard time believing that Kubota would have stayed with the 1/4" valves on some models yet have position control on similar models. Why would they have done that if it was causing concern that could affect sales? Is there an advantage/disadvantage to both 3 pt controls?

I know the final decision is one I have to make, but I'm looking for help to make the right decision.

Thanks.

/ B3300su & 1/4" valve #2  
I am real close to buying a Kubota B3300su with FEL and R4 tires (loaded), but I'm concerned about the 1/4" valve vs position control. I have a 5' rotary mower that I would use with it, and I'm wondering how difficult it is to set the cutting height and how often I'll have to "bump" the control to maintain the setting? Also, how does the valve work with a back blade? Basically, does the 3 pt valve work pretty easily with 3 pt attachments?

On another note, I've read some comments about vibration when rpms are elevated. Any comments about that?

I am having a hard time believing that Kubota would have stayed with the 1/4" valves on some models yet have position control on similar models. Why would they have done that if it was causing concern that could affect sales? Is there an advantage/disadvantage to both 3 pt controls?

I know the final decision is one I have to make, but I'm looking for help to make the right decision.

Thanks.

i have a b7800 with 1/4" 3ph valve. i run a bush hog for hours behind it and don't mind the slow leak down. bump mine up about every 20 minutes and that is just because i am fussy about height and my bush hog blades hitting ground. it is real easy to set the height. the 1/4" valve is like a loader control. center is neutral and up is power up. to stop raising, return the valve handle to neutral. down is gravity down, and to stop going down return the valve handle to neutral. now, yes it will leak down slowly like most other hydraulic cylinders do over time, especially if there is weight on it. there is a knob below the seat that you can close to help limit the gravity down leak. don't know if it is fully fool proof as i do not use it that way. the poistion control 3ph systems cost more and "remember" where they are supposed to be at and keep "updating" itself to maintain height while in operation, so yes, with a poistion control 3ph, you could set the height and forget it all day long when you are bush hogging and it will maintain height. the 1/4" will leak down very very slowly.

i actually like the 1/4" style due to the smooth ness of it and hooking up implements and its fine tune control. i use it a lot in both ways.

as for the vibrations, my b7800 v 1505 4 cylinder diesel does not bother me. the b3300su runs a v 1505 4 cylinder diesel engine, but is modified a bit for that specific model. i haven't run a b3300su yet, but would believe it would be very simular to my b7800.

/ B3300su & 1/4" valve #3  
If at all possible you should drive one at the dealer and see for yourself how the vibes feel. I didn't think they were bad at all. If I could justify a tractor that small I would have bought a B3300 in a heartbeat. What a cool little tractor.

/ B3300su & 1/4" valve #4  
   / B3300su & 1/4" valve #5  
:( Oh no... I didn't know that Chuck (inNH) passed away. He was a great guy. RIP

/ B3300su & 1/4" valve #7  
   / B3300su & 1/4" valve #8  
As suggested above, I would test drive the B3300 and maybe compare it to one of the 3 cyl Kubotas for vibration at PTO speed. We definitely noticed in comparing a B7800 to our smaller B2920. That way you will know what you are getting and if it bothers you or not.
Out of curiosity, I measured the drop on my 3 pt hitch with the 1/4" valve and my box blade raised. It dropped about 3/4" with or without the motor running. It only annoys me when I mow with the brush hog. I don't have that great of depth perception, so found it hard to tell if I bumped it up too much or not enough. So I found some chains to help keep it at the height. I use them more as a guage and bump it up when they get tight, but they will hold the front of the mower up. They are pretty heavy made. I ordered mine from Yesterday's tractor, the first link, but am attaching the other one as it has a better picture.

Miscellaneous MHSK1 Mower Deck Height Stabilizer Kit

Mower Deck Height Stabilizer Kit -- Finish Mower & Rotary Cutter Parts

I am also saddened to hear of ChuckinNH's passing. I found him to be one of the most knowledgable contributors and always gave a nonbiased opinion. He helped me via a PM understand the instructions on how to get the FEL into float.

/ B3300su & 1/4" valve #9  
Ductape, thank you for the notice of Chuck's passing. I had been wondering periodically where he was as I hadn't seen any post from him for a long time. I knew he was battling cancer so the lack of posting kind of concerned me. Missed your other thread informing the greater TBN community.

He was a great contributor on TBN, not only in the Kubota forums but on many others as he seemed to be knowledgeable on all the various brands/models. He was very helpful to newcomers here, including me when I first joined. Ye will be missed ChuckinNH; may you rest in peace.

/ B3300su & 1/4" valve #10  
I didn't know about Chuck... Very sorry to hear it. He was a great contributor.

I've got quarter inching on my B-7800. I like it fine, and have zero issues with it.