New L3800 vs. 2008 L4240

/ New L3800 vs. 2008 L4240 #1  

Maibox

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3940; 1942 Farmall H (for sale)
Hi there. I'm fairly new to this board and a tractor noob (first tractor I've run is the 1942 Farmall H that came with the property). I found the board while researching the possible purchase of a tractor to replace the perpetually in need of repair Farmall. The information has been very helpful. This is a little long, but I hope it will help you all provide the best advice.

Some background: We've got 43 acres that is mostly wooded. The house is at the back of a narrow valley in a bowl with the hills that are about 300' higher than the house. We have an acre or so around the house, 1/3 mile blacktop driveway (with 8-10' of grass on either side and some larger areas of grass) that climbs 120 feet from the road to the house--most of the climb is in the first 3rd of the driveway from the road. We have a 2 acre pasture, mostly flat, on one side of the driveway where the 4 stall horse barn is located. The other side is about 1-1.5 acres of grassy pasture and another 3 or so acres of currently overgrown "wooded" pasture. The rest of the area is steeply wooded old forest. Our neighbor is currently rotating two horses through the 2 acre pasture. We will likely get 2 horse of our own and rotate our horses between the two pastures (we will only have the two horses--neighbor's horses are short term).

We have a tremendous amount of brush/downed trees on the property. Previous owner would just block the trees and pile the brush on the edge of the woods or in the middle of the pasture. The fence around the larger, wooded pasture needs to be rebuilt before we can use it (lots of down trees, plus barbed).

I'm looking for an all around tractor, with FEL and enough PTO power to run a 6' rotary cutter. Planned use is to brush cut the pastures a couple of times a year; haul manure and wood chips; reclaim the 3 acres of wooded pasture, clean up brush (may get a chipper) and other general maintenance (fencing). Eventually, I'd like to use it to clear the driveway.

Through research I had sort of settled on a new L3800. I've got quotes from two dealers for a basic L3800, R4's, FEL with QA, and a LP RC1872. One quoted ballast box, the other has recommended but not quoted filled tires. Both are around $23k finance price and $21,500 cash. The only thing I think I'd like to have that the L3800 doesn't is Mid PTO in the event I want to go with a front mounted snowblower (although more expensive, I think it would be easier to operate on our driveway). Then again, I don't know what I don't know.

I was doing a little craigslist shopping, however, and found a 2008 L4240--FEL with 72" standard bucket. He's asking around $19k but said he's a little flexible. Has a post hole digger he'd likely throw in.

I realize its a bit of apples to oranges since the L4240 is larger, more full featured tractor compared to the L3800. I'm worried it may be a bit too large for maneuvering around in the woods. Plus I like the idea of buying new and getting a warranty. However, the additional PTO horsepower would help generally and with running a chipper. Lastly, while I don't need to finance, I like free money and using the cash for other purposes (fencing, etc.) would be nice.

So, looking for some advice. Are the prices from the dealers in-line? What's the L4240 worth? Would either of these tractors be better for my planned use? Should I worry about warranty/no warranty? If I decide to buy used, what kinds of things should I be looking out for (I've bought used cars many times, but I'm a tractor noob).

Appreciate any advice you all are willing to give, including recommending other models if you think I'm barking up the wrong tree. I am looking to buy soon.

Thanks in advance.

/ New L3800 vs. 2008 L4240 #2  
How many hours on the 4240?

/ New L3800 vs. 2008 L4240
150 hours. Sorry, that would have been helpful.

/ New L3800 vs. 2008 L4240 #4  
As a L4240 owner;previous owner of a L3130,user of a B7800.The L4240 is way more tractor than the L3800.You won't be able to put a mid pto on the L4240.The 854 loader (L4240) is very powerfull.If equipted with HST+,a very nice feature.150 hours is nothing,I have 500+ on mine.
I am kind in the same situation,looking at a used L3240 GST(125hr) or a B3300 new.Tough call new with warranty or low hour used out of warrenty.This would be a second tractor for us;could use a open station for the woods.
You can't go wrong with either choice,but most guys trade up in a few years for more power.The foot print of a L4240 verus the L3800 would not be that great.

/ New L3800 vs. 2008 L4240 #6  
My mistake,didn't think the mid pto was an option;I had thought I had read it stopped at the L3940.I would contact a dealer to make sure.

/ New L3800 vs. 2008 L4240 #7  
I didn't think a mid PTO was available on the 4240 either, but just checked the Kubota website under specifications and it lists one.

I would go with the L4240 without hesitation. We run a L5030 HSTC after initially looking at smaller tractors and the extra power sure is handy. I use to use our open station Massey Ferguson 375 in the woods without any problems. Yes, a smaller tractor is a little more nimble, but we managed pretty well with it.

We bought our L5030 when it was about 7 years old with 735 hours on it.

/ New L3800 vs. 2008 L4240 #8  
No question the L4240 is the right choice with only 150 hrs. The tractor year is pretty much secondary to the hours and how well it's been treated and maintained.

Other than being bigger, stronger more powerful and more capable, the L4240 will have many "luxury" features that the L3800 won't. You may say who cares, but you will find many of them make a big difference in the joy of operating it.

IMHO, a tractor should be heavy to put the most HP possible to the ground. Any Grand L outweighs the Standard L significantly and that will translate into traction and the ability to get work done. Good luck and have fun.

/ New L3800 vs. 2008 L4240 #9  
Mid pto is available on L4240, it is needed to run front mount snow blower. You also need the mid pto to run the MMM, but this can only be installed on L3940 and smaller. Philip

/ New L3800 vs. 2008 L4240 #10  
Have you sat on either one ???I found the L3800 was too small for me to be comfortable. If you have a choice I would recommend R1 ag tires. Even loaded my L5740 R4's suck in low traction situations. Almost got stuck the other night in a damp pasture corner.....now I got to fill in the ruts...