Buying Advice L3200 Dt 4wd question

/ L3200 Dt 4wd question #21  
I have the 3700su which is the same power train as the 3800 except the 3700 was only offered in HST. If you are doing loader work or pto with a finish mower you might consider the HST trans. You will only use the clutch to start the engine and put the pto in gear. When you are mowing you just mash the pedal forward or backwards. You will not "slip" the the clutch like you do with a manual trans during loader operations. The pto does stop on the 3700 if you mash the clutch, single stage. I am sure others will offer thoughts, I love my 3700. Hope this helps.

/ L3200 Dt 4wd question #22  
May I ask why you are considering only the gear transmission? If I recall, tilling is a speed specific task. It seems a hydrostatic transmission would serve you better for this. Also, FEL work is far easier with a hydro. I would gladly pay $1k for a hydro.

/ L3200 Dt 4wd question #23  
May I ask why you are considering only the gear transmission? If I recall, tilling is a speed specific task. It seems a hydrostatic transmission would serve you better for this. Also, FEL work is far easier with a hydro. I would gladly pay $1k for a hydro.

All of my experience has been with a gear drive, years ago. I have tried, but was not impressed with the hydro on several units. However, I really liked the shuttle drive (Mahindra), and would buy that in a minute. I can see myself moving forward pushing a FEL and hammering the hydro. I fear, maybe the action slipping, but that may be in my head. I know with a gear drive that will not happen. Now all I have read points to them being rock solid, and I think that they be. Also, I am trying to economize, using the extra 1K for implements that might get more work done. There are always compromises made when setting things up from scratch. I need lots of implements to set this small farm up, as I have nothing.

/ L3200 Dt 4wd question #24  
All of my experience has been with a gear drive, years ago. I have tried, but was not impressed with the hydro on several units. However, I really liked the shuttle drive (Mahindra), and would buy that in a minute. I can see myself moving forward pushing a FEL and hammering the hydro. I fear, maybe the action slipping, but that may be in my head. I know with a gear drive that will not happen. Now all I have read points to them being rock solid, and I think that they be. Also, I am trying to economize, using the extra 1K for implements that might get more work done. There are always compromises made when setting things up from scratch. I need lots of implements to set this small farm up, as I have nothing.
At best all you will do is "stall" with the HST,for $1000 you will regret not getting it.

/ L3200 Dt 4wd question #25  
I don't regret not getting a HST trans at all. I would have paid extra for gear drive! :)

/ L3200 Dt 4wd question #26  
I don't regret not getting a HS trans at all. I would have paid extra for gear drive! :)

Don, tell me why you feel strongly about owning a gear drive.

/ L3200 Dt 4wd question #27  
Don, tell me why you feel strongly about owning a gear drive.
HST works fine, I've spent a good bit of time on my mom's little Massey w/HST, but I just don't like it. I like the feel of direct power to the wheels, I like changing gears and using a clutch.

/ L3200 Dt 4wd question #28  
I grew up on a farm running 2 cyl tractors with hand clutchs. I bought the L3400DT with 2 stage clutch and FEL and have no regreats not having a hydro. I also have a very nice '55 Ford 860 that has a two stage clutch and it works very well. I also get better fuel economy with a clutch over a hydro because the hydro pretty much needs to keep the rpm's up to use it. Hydro has its uses but i'm with Bluegill2 on this one.
Steve

/ L3200 Dt 4wd question #29  
For every gear lover, there is a hydro lover.. I have owned 2 gear, and 3 hydro tractors.. No more gear tractors for me. Ask ddb123 how I talked him into a hydro tractor, and then ask him how he likes it. There are plus and minus factors for both types., but if loader work figures large into your tasks, there is no question in my mind, hydro is so much better. And while I have never run a tiller, from what I have heard others say the ability to go at any speed and stop at any time for a rough spot, sounds like hydro territory to me. Now for mowing in a straight line and plowing, gear is fine and superior for more horsepower delivered to the pto/ground. Hydro can do these tasks fine too but it is a compromise in power delivered. Now gear and loader operations are fine too, but it is a compromise and more fatiguing for the operator. Some guys enjoy all that shifting and clutching. Cool. I don't.

James K0UA

/ L3200 Dt 4wd question #30  
I took delivery of my L3200 dt yesterday! Man have I been having fun on that rig. I have plowed parking lots where none existed, and I have to post a picture when I get the time.

I use it like a shuttle shift, but have to come to a stop to do so. One day I may have a hydro, but for now, I am very happy with it.