?s on a L3300 gst

/ ?s on a L3300 gst #1  

skind

Tractor
kubota
All right guys, I need some advice. I was going to buy a new L3200 hst w/fel, but with the jerky 3 point and the money ( they gave me a very good price though at $17,300 w/tax) I am looking at used ones. I found a 1995 L3300 glide shift trans w/335 hrs and fel w/cab. The price seems a little high at $13,900, but it looks like it is only 3 or 4 years old instead of 17. My ?s are how far off is the price for 17 years old? Also, is the gst a good one? I have not operated a gst are they easy to use w/fel? Am I right in assuming you can shift from forward to reverse with the lever on the dash? Oh, one other thing, is the 3 point on this one good? Thanks for your time and replies.

/ ?s on a L3300 gst
Anybody know anything about the L3300 or the glide shift trans?

/ ?s on a L3300 gst #3  
After considering many different brands / models the past few months I took delivery of an L3200HST/FEL last week. The jerky 3PH must either be over-hyped or mine is a good one. It works smoother than my B7500 did. Your number is higher. Here in PA it was $15,946.85 plus tax and included R4's, filled rears and fluids/filters for the first change. There wasn't enough difference in cost between a really clean (and scarce) used tractor and a new one to compensate for not getting a warranty.

When he saw how nice my B7500 was, he offered $3K less than I paid for it 10 years ago, so the sales tax was only due on the balance. I also couldn't pass on a Landpride (FDR1672?) 6 foot RD RFM for $1,795. It was unused but stored outside and although brand new doesn't look like it was uncrated yesterday. This is the third RFM like that I've bought.

Had I known how comfortable and capable this combo was it would have happened a long ago.

/ ?s on a L3300 gst #4  
I have 2006 L5030 GST w/ FEL. Personally, I love the GST. Mine has the forward reverse lever on the dash. With the foot throttle, using the loader is a breeze. Now the HST people will say - yes but you have to let go of the steering to move the lever to reverse which is awkward, but it doesn't bother me.

Very seldom do I use the clutch, and when I do it's more habit then need. Being able to run through the gears / ranges on the fly with no clutch is awesome.

As far as the price....yes it seems high, but it does have a cab, but it's old, but looks pretty new...HAHA!! You know what that tractor is worth? Whatever amount that he can get for it!

/ ?s on a L3300 gst #5  
It seems like the HST transmission is the popular choice in tractors today. If you've operated a tractor with GST, I would suspect you would be very comfortable and happy with it in this tractor. It would seem to me that moving from forward to reverse with HST would be much easier for the operator and for the long term mechanical condition of the tractor. I would a be a little concerned about using the shuttle shift while operating an implement on the pto. If rpm's are maintained for the implement, then a little more caution and patience should be practiced with the GST shifting from forward to reverse. At least that is what I think. I am not a mechanic nor have I had experience with a GST transmission. Shuttle shifting has been around a long time and it has worked very well. I think once you get used to using it, you'd be satisfied with it. Maybe it comes down to what uses you have for the tractor.

A tractor that is 17 years old with only 335 hours is pretty rare. I think I've seen the tractor you're talking about. It is in immaculate condition. I don't think I've seen a nicer or cleaner L3300 for that age. Obviously, very well taken care of and seldom used. It has a Sims cab, but it does have vinyl doors and no heater. Also, I think the ROPS had to be removed to install the cab. You can see on the picture from the rear where the ROPS was bolted to the rear axle. When using the FEL, the potential for tipping the tractor increases considerably if the bucket is full and the loader is elevated. ROPS is especially a recommended safety protection when using the loader. So, I would guess the ROPS had to be removed to install the cab. Otherwise, why take it off? I think $13.9K is high. For a few thousand more you could get something similar with a 3 yr warranty and probably 0% interest if you finance
it. If you have to borrow money to buy the used tractor, the final cost might
be close to the cost of a new one because you won't get 0% on a used tractor. Tough decision to make with a tractor in such good condition. My advice is get the tractor you want and try not to compromise too much the model or features because of the cost. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck.

/ ?s on a L3300 gst
Thanks guys. Yes DEK, I think you have seen the one I am interested in from your description of it. I think I might hold off on it for the time being, and see if he might come down more. If not, I guess I could always buy a new one. The cash rebates are good till the end of the month.

/ ?s on a L3300 gst #7  
We have a L3830 with GST (no loader) and Dad used to have an L3660 with GST (with a loader).
Check the GST engagement by SLOOOOLY shifting into fwd/reverse and see if it "hangs" in neutral.
Otherwise, I like it for field work and it is better than a regular transmission for back and forth work. If I have to park something in a tight space or do lots of loader work, I would prefer a hydro transmission (like our B7500 has) but the GST is MUCH easier to use than a "standard" transmission.

Aaron Z

/ ?s on a L3300 gst #8  
Skins,

In my last post I went on for quite a while about the ROPS. I feel that is a very important safety feature. I've read a lot of posts from people who have said how unstable tractors can be when operating a FEL. Therefore, I think it is a necessity. If the cab has to be removed to install the ROPS, then the cab is essentially unusable. That's if you feel the ROPS is necessary. Something to think about.

I would think the tractor is mechanically sound. If you had some hesitation about that, you could probably find a local Kubota dealer and ask if a service person or mechanic could stop by and check it out. Might cost maybe $100, but worth the money to have someone familiar with the model and mechanical features check it out.

Final thought from me. Three issues to sort out. Getting ROPS installed, GST vs HST, and cost of old vs new. I'd have to have ROPS for all uses. I wouldn't be putting it on and taking it off. Is the cab then useable. Could sell it, but is someone else going to want it if ROPS has to be removed? Hmm? GST was a significant improvement over grinding gears with a manual transmission. And in certain jobs like field work that doesn't involve pto, I would think it would be super. But operating an implement that runs on the pto might be a little tricky and doing loader work a bit busier for the operator. Just as GST was the new age of transmission from a manual, an HST serves the same advancement from a GST. That's just my opinion, and it may not be totally true or worth a hill of beans, but that's the way I see it. That doesn't mean the GST is bad. Some people love manual transmissions and GST and HST. Tough call. Finally, if I'm a few thousand apart between new and old, I'm going new if I can get more of exactly what I would want with warranty. Hey, it's a Kubota and a great tractor. Thanks.

/ ?s on a L3300 gst #9  
I agree that the price seems high for that machine w/no warranty. It is a little bigger though and has a little higher lift capacities at both ends. No issues with the hitch on that model.

My suggestion, Try out a 3200/3800. The hitch may not be an issue for you. The newer ones (I have heard) are much better than the old ones. So before you rule it out, try it.

/ ?s on a L3300 gst
Well, I ended up getting a similiar but different tractor. A L2900 GST w/ 630 hrs w/ loader. Not new but very straight and dry mechanics. And the most important part a lot cheaper. And DEK, it does have the ROPS on it. I do agree that is important. I am going to post another post on the operation forum about some maintainence ?s. Thanks for all the info everyone!