Rotary Cutter for a B3030

/ Rotary Cutter for a B3030 #1  

Viat

Tractor
Kubota B3030HSD
I've been lurking for several months now and about 2 months ago I pulled the trigger on a Kubota B3030HSD (the cabless version) along with a Woods TSG50 stump grinder and a Woods GHT60 rotary tiller.

I'm now looking for a rotary cutter. My dealer carries Land Pride and Woods. I'm leaning towards Woods because they seem to be a bit heavier built but I can't find much information about them online. I am looking at the 48" versions. Does anyone have experience with the Woods BB48X? How does it compare to similar models (ie LandPride)? It appears the BB48X is a newer model of the Woods BB48 but I'm not sure what they changed and the specs look very similar (I see that the X version is 2" wider).

Thanks

/ Rotary Cutter for a B3030 #2  
Welcome!Have you considered a five foot cutter?We have the cab model of your tractor and use a Bushog RZ160 rotary cutter with no issues.Don't worry about the recommended sizes in the operators manual,they're often too conservative.Woods and Landpride make good stuff.The Landpride lineup has many different models,a light to medium model should be fine and can be ordered in orange as well.Good Luck!

/ Rotary Cutter for a B3030 #3  
Like #2 said, consider the 60" deck, the 3030 will handle it just fine, I use the same cutter.

A lot of dealers went belly up over the past few years so look around for a deal. I found mine for a few hundred, brand new.

/ Rotary Cutter for a B3030 #4  
I've got a B-7800 and use the Woods BB60X with no problems.

/ Rotary Cutter for a B3030
What kind of things are you cutting with a 5ft cutter? Are you able to maintain a decent ground speed? I have a lot of tall grass and some of it is littered with young box elder trees (possibly up to an inch thick, but soft).

A 60" RC seems to be much easier to get my hands on as they have them in stock whereas the 48" has to be ordered. My father pulls a 60" Rhino behind his IH 560 and says that makes his tractor grunt. I was concerned about doing a 60" because the B3030 is a considerably smaller tractor.

/ Rotary Cutter for a B3030 #6  
My mom has a B3030 and we are on the verge of getting a Landpride 1860. It is rated down to 20 HP and the B3030 is 23 at the pto. One thing I like about the 1860 is its really not a 5 foot mower it is a 4 and 3/4 foot mower. Mowing width is 57 inches instead of a full 60. Also the blades are 1/2 inche by 3 inches wide not 4 inches. Less mass for the engine to turn. It stil has a 2" mowing capacity. Seems to me like its just made for a B3030.One of these days we are going to actually get one!:laughing:

/ Rotary Cutter for a B3030 #7  
I have a b3030 with a bb48 and it handles it easy probably could have gotten 60" one but found this one on Craigslist for 400 could pass it up

/ Rotary Cutter for a B3030 #8  
We have two Land Pride and two Woods cutters, I can't tell one is better than the other.

My inclination like several others is to go with a 5', our BX2660 easily handles a 48" LP cutter.

/ Rotary Cutter for a B3030 #9  
I have a B3000 which is virtually the same tractor. I bought a Land Pride 5' rotary cutter with the tractor last December. I've used it to mow a 3 acre pasture 3 times. I'm happy with the job it does and I think it looks well built and plenty stout. I think it's a good match for the tractor size. My thinking is: if you are mowing something that is too heavy for the machine, don't take a full cut. If you have a light job, the wider mower makes for a quicker job. I wasn't cutting 1" diameter trees, but some of it was pretty heavy clover. It started to bog down a little so I put it in low and mowed a little slower. But it did fine.
I'm sure if yo bought a smaller mower, you would be happy as well. But for me, I'm happy with my 5'. And besides, Land Pride's orange Rotary Cutter looks nice behind my Kubota.

/ Rotary Cutter for a B3030 #10  
I have a B7800 as well and use a 5 foot Landpride cutter. I use it for pasture land almost exclusively and do not think I have EVER needed to run at the indicated PTO speed (2800 rpms). Usually, I see about 1800 rpm for the thicknesses I cut.

I, as has been stated many times in this site, believe Kubota spec's its tolerances and thresholds VERY CONSERVATIVELY. I once borrowed a JD 6 foot cutter on my Ku bota and it handled it quite nicely. Because of a little more weight, the front end was only a tad light, but a half load of material in the bucket would solve that.

Im still amazed at the violence of these devices. They have my utmost respect at all times. The forces at work are staggering.

I also had a hard time seeing any qualitative difference between Landpride and the Woods cutters. Make the best deal and dont look back