Older Kubota buying advice

/ Older Kubota buying advice #1  

Code54

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100, Kubota BX25D,1957 Farmall Cub Lo-Boy Kubota KX91-3, BCS 853
I am looking at buying a B7200 4x2. Not sure the exact year but it is the pre RPS ones. It shows 274.5 hrs, and runs very good (tiny puff of smoke on start up but that is it), idles great, PTO good. Hydro seems good. Tires are very good on tread but some cracking but not too bad - turf style. The motor looks very clean, frame is excellent with good paint. Fenders are chipped up and a few little dents. Lights on fender all broken. Hood has a decent dent right in the front but other wise is just needing paint. Comes with an old MF 5' rear finish mower that is worth about $400 in my area (this I know). Rear 3pt works fine, seat is good, steering wheel has a little pay but not bad. RPM gauge works. I can get it for 2K even and want it for my wife to mow with. (She likes it)
I have a source for a factory ROPs for $150 that I can add on for her safety.
I am not positive the hour meter works but noticed the oil filter has 173 Hrs scratched on it (with a little surface rust in the scratched in #'s so it looks like it was not just added or something)
I would say the hours should be more but the motor looks clean clean, noticed even the bolt heads are not chipped up and rounded so they look like they have not been removed in the past.
Anyway, any weak points to check? Does the price seem good? General thoughts?
THANKS

/ Older Kubota buying advice #2  
If she "likes it" then all else is irrelevant..... Jokes aside, anytime you can get a Kubota in that shape for that price it's a deal.Any Kubota in our area for 2k is ready for salvage. I like 4x4's but a 4x2 would make a good mower for her. Judge it by the condition, not the hour meter.

/ Older Kubota buying advice
I sort of wanted a 4x4 also but in reality I/we don't need it. We are only going to use it to mow the grass and if i can find a little tiller she may use it to till up her garden (only 20x40 or so and totally flat). I have a MX5100 4x4 so I can use it for most things that require a 4x4 and if the other one somehow gets stuck I can pull it out fairly easily. She keeps saying she would like something that she could mow the grass with (she is not too interested in our walk behind zero turn and my Cub you have to shift so that got canned also) so we seen this one today and she liked it. I figure I can pull the fender/hood/floor boards and fix the dents and repaint them this winter so it will look fairly nice for her.
Other than it looked like the previous owner ran into some stuff the tractor seems solid. I was surprised when I noticed the HST pedal didn't even look too worn.

/ Older Kubota buying advice #4  
Sounds like a deal. Lot of homeowner tractors that don't get used much, so I wouldn't worry about the low hours, just look at as a plus. If I found something like that around here, I'd buy it!

/ Older Kubota buying advice #5  
For that kind of money you can always try it and if it doesn't work out you should be able to easily get your money back.

/ Older Kubota buying advice #6  
check the fuilds see how clean they are if clean and full and if its shifts good buy it i wish i would have bought used

/ Older Kubota buying advice #7  
If it starts, buy it. Sounds like it would be twice that price in SW MO.

/ Older Kubota buying advice #8  
You can't find nothing like that around here-I'd love to have a second tractor for that price.

Will

/ Older Kubota buying advice
Ended up buying it tonight. Seems pretty decent over all. The HST fluid was good and clean so I changed the oil and filter tonight. Put a new fuel and air filter in and filled the tank. Ended up cutting the grass with it and overall worked well. Did find any real leaks and seems pretty good on power. I am pretty sure it has 1250 Hrs once i really looked it over. Had some repainting in a few places and the motor was painted at some point in its past (not real recent).
Tires were filled so that is good. I do have some questions so I was going to start a B7200 thread so it is more visible
Overall for the price I am pleased. It cut for about 45 minutes tonight in the heat and didn't over heat so that was a good sign (radiator didn't lose a drop at least - it is full)
Thanks for the help!