Tractor Sizing B7800 upgrade advice? so many L series options...

/ B7800 upgrade advice? so many L series options... #1  

bigboyga

Tractor
Kubota L4600
I really love m 2005 B7800! I have had it several years but I am wanting to sell it and buy a Kubota that will handle a 6' bush hog. My b7800 with fel works perfect as far as power ratio with a 5'. I use it pretty hard on wild cherry trees and chinaberry trees. So I do want the power ratio to be the same or better on an upgrade with a 6' cutter. It looks like I will need an L series? What do yall recommend? Expecting to spend $15-20 with an fel? Really would like to find a garage kept like new 2010 or so for several thousand savings from new. Also just have been reading about the 2014 diesel emmisions and I am very familiar with them in pickups so might just want to buy a pre 2014 new if they are still on the lots. Definatly want an hst. I think all the L's have fel q/a?:confused: And I have to have a grapple option for my bucket. Thats a must anymore... Spoiled rotten with a grapple on my bucket.

Last edited:
   / B7800 upgrade advice? so many L series options... #2  
I'm missing something. You want to go through the expense of replacing your tractor, FEL, and grapple so you can gain 12 inches of brush cutting width?

/ B7800 upgrade advice? so many L series options... #3  
If I was to move up from a B-7800, a very capable tractor, I'd make it a move that was worthwhile, into the 40 hp range with a corresponding increase in weight. The Grand L's are nice, but have too many bells and whistles that I don't need. The new L series are nice, but still fairly lightweight tractors. For myself, If I was to upgrade, I think the MX4700/5100 would be where I'd be looking. But, as always, YMMV.

/ B7800 upgrade advice? so many L series options... #4  
I moved up from a BX2200 several years ago to a B7800 (probably a 2004 or 2005 model year). I had that B7800 for 3 years an all time high for years of ownership for me except for the BX1500 MMM that I bought at the same time.
I traded that B7800 to a GraldL3240 (of course HST). I live on a hillside that has a few steep places. That Grand L was Grand with features and at 2x the weight of the B7800. I was using a Landpride (Heavy, heavy) 6' Rear finish mower on the B7800 and the L3240. The mowing deck would sort of turn the B around at the bottom of the hill when I started my turn. A bit of a surprise the first few times but got used to it and it was no real problem. Couldn't tell it was behind me on the L3240 except when I'd start getting close to cresting my steep hills and then the L would start slowing down. The weight of a tractor is a good/bad thing. Both tractors had around 31HP but one was 2x as heavy as the other which showed up going up hill with heavy weight on the back.
The B7800 never slowed a bit going up the hill with the same mowing deck on the back. Also the L was a lot higher off the ground or felt like it from the seat on the side of the hills.
Got rid of that L super fast, it was scary to ride and so I'd find reasons NOT to use it instead of reasons TO use it. Traded it to a B3200.
If you go to an L then you want to make a substantial rise in HP after have a lighter weight big HP tractor, the B7800, or I believe you'll be dissatisfied. The B7800 was one of my best and favorite tractors.

/ B7800 upgrade advice? so many L series options... #5  
Unless you want the extra features of the Grand L line I would look for a used L4400. I'm sure you could find one in good shape a year or two old for $20k. I'm not sure if the QA is an option or standard so a used one may not have it. I think for a little more you could find a new L4600. Both will be a step up, not just equal to, what you have now. You'll get a loader with more capacity and more pto HP.

/ B7800 upgrade advice? so many L series options...
I stopped today at a Kubota dealer. Looked at an L2940 and L4600. Got to see first hand what all makes the Grand line so "Grand"! Very nice cadillac tractors! Quoted me a price of $26k and $24,500 respectively. That also is very good advice to keep in mind about the extra height of an L vs the lower B. I always though the heavier the tractor the more stable it was?. He pointed out the B3200 is a replacement for the B7800. Going to have to ponder this some more...

/ B7800 upgrade advice? so many L series options... #7  
I stopped today at a Kubota dealer. Looked at an L2940 and L4600. Got to see first hand what all makes the Grand line so "Grand"! Very nice cadillac tractors! Quoted me a price of $26k and $24,500 respectively. That also is very good advice to keep in mind about the extra height of an L vs the lower B. I always though the heavier the tractor the more stable it was?. He pointed out the B3200 is a replacement for the B7800. Going to have to ponder this some more...

The heavier the more stable as long as the extra weight is low. BUT, when you sit higher off the ground it can feel less comfortable when one wheel goes over a log/in a hole and you (higher) feel the lean or drive across a hill and your higher off the ground as your steed is leaning. I'm not saying the heavier tractor isn't more stable than the lighter tractor but I felt very uncomfortable on the L on hillsides vs the Bs and of course the BXs so much so that I traded the L3240 off in less than a year and with less than 50 hours on it. On flat land I loved the Grand L and all of its features.

/ B7800 upgrade advice? so many L series options... #8  
Grands are nice, but cost more.

A L3800 will pull a 6' mower just fine (mine does), But if I was doing a lot of mowing with a 6' I'd want a L4400/4600.

/ B7800 upgrade advice? so many L series options... #9  
I've got L-3400 hst's pulling 7' bush hog SQ84T's on pastures nicely although if not 6' would be right. Pastures have little taller standing grass and they works well.