Buying Advice Wait for the BXxx70?

/ Wait for the BXxx70? #1  

iptman

Gold Member
Tractor
Scag Tiger Cat, 61", Kioti CX2510
Hello everyone. New here, trying to catch up. I'm going from a townhouse with 40 sq/ft of lawn to a 2.5 acre property which is 98% cleared field, settling on the 11th. Just went by one of the local Kubota dealers and saw the spec sheet for the new 70 series BX tractors. The release date was 11/20/2012. I'm not sure how often they come out with a new series but would it be worth it to wait for it rather than buying a 60 series? One thought would be waiting for the new features (there was a handful I saw, one being a fold over ROPS) or on the other hand wait for the 70s and get a steal on a 60, assuming none of the features out weigh the price difference. Thoughts?

-Patrick

/ Wait for the BXxx70? #2  
OK, first I've heard of a new BX series. You're not pulling our legs are you? What were the other spec changes vs the 60 series? Can't say whether to wait without more info on the new BX's.

/ Wait for the BXxx70?
Not pulling your leg. The guy at the dealer showed me the sheet (looked like a print out of an email) when I asked about whether I should wait for the 2013 model year tractors. He said it didn't work like that with Kubotas, whatever that means. In fact he told me they were just coming out with some other new models (inferred not the BX line) but when I took the sheet of paper it clearly said BX1870, BX2370 and BX2670. If I had realized this was not yet public info I would have looked at the list a little more and committed it to memory. The only thing that stood out was the fold-over ROPS, and the only reason that stood out was b/c JD shows that as a deficiency when comparing the BX2360 to the 1026R.

Does anyone know if they deeply discounted the older models when the 60 series BXs came out? The dealer was giving me the hard sell on a used BX1860 with L203, 54" MMM and only 64 hours for $9500 (good price?). I think I'd rather wait and buy new if they're going to discount though.

/ Wait for the BXxx70? #4  
Well, since JD intro'd the 1026r to basically one up the BX, I'd expect a few major changes for the new series. Like a true oil cooler in place of the hydro cooling fan that's prone to breakage, and maybe position control on the top model and a drive over mower deck option so you might want to check on the upgrades first. I would not expect any major discounts on the 60 series for quite some time. It will take months to deplete stocks of the 60 series I would guess. Kubota typically has a long overlap during a model changeover.

/ Wait for the BXxx70? #5  
Kubota keeps ongoing incentives to push their products so I doubt there will be any big discounts for the 60 series. I expect they'll continue selling them as always while slowly introducing the 70 series at probably a higher price which will make the 60 series seem discounted.
If you can wait then I'd say wait and see if the changes are worth a few hundred dollars more to you but I wouln't expect the prices for 60s to be any less then than they are now.
If you look at the product line now you'll see how close each model is to the next sized model and with a modest increase in price for just a "little bit" more. That seems to be Kubotas marketing strategy which seems to be working. The "70" series will be just a "little bit" more than the 60 series and just a "little bit" more cost.

/ Wait for the BXxx70? #6  
What John said; stuff just doesn't get cheaper, just not as expensive as other stuff.

As with the JD 1023/26R, I am always leery of the first model year of anything; almost bought a 2007 Tundra; glad I went with a 2006.

/ Wait for the BXxx70?
I just remembered another one of the new features, the brake pedal will now be on the left side.

/ Wait for the BXxx70? #8  
i would say dont wait they will just cost more in 2013 i was in the same boat months ago i didnt wait best of luck to you

/ Wait for the BXxx70? #9  
I just remembered another one of the new features, the brake pedal will now be on the left side.

Cool, but probably more important on models with dual brakes/turning brakes. Maybe this is the start of a change in that direction for Kubota. Having the brakes on the same side as the go-pedal has been a long running criticism. Did you see any pic's of the 70 series? Hope they're keeping the all-metal body panels.

Really curious to see and hear more on the new BX. I'm surprised there's not more posts on this since we've had lengthy threads on what the new BX should/would have. Now that's it's almost out, seems to be little interest. Weird!

/ Wait for the BXxx70? #10  

The brake is on the left side of our JD2305 and hate it, much prefer it on the right like our BX and every other tractor we own. I can see the argument for split brakes on the left with split brakes though I don't personally like them.