L4610 vs. L5740 vs. M7040

/ L4610 vs. L5740 vs. M7040 #1  

Piston

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4610 Hitachi UH083LC
Hi all,
I'm wondering how much of an upgrade an L5740 would be from my current 4610 (39PTO HP and LA852 Loader.) Then on the other hand, I'm wondering how much of an upgrade an M7040 would be from my 4610.

The thing I don't like about my 4610 is I need more power, both in lift capacity and PTO wise. The thing I do LOVE about my 4610 (or rather, did love) is the HST. Now that I have my rears filled, and with a 1,200lb stump grinder on the back, I really notice the need to slow down when going up even a small hill (in Medium range.) I don't like how the tractor will whine and slow RPM's. Would the 5740 make a big difference in this respect? Or would it be pretty similar as far as capabilities? I know PTO power wise it would be a lot more capable, but I believe the loader specs are basically identical to what I currently have. I also realize the 5740 is a lot more feature oriented than I currently have, I do like the bells and whistles :)

Now for the M7040, the extra power would certainly be an upgrade, but how much of a difference would I notice for loader work? Is it much more capable, or just a bit? Does it feel a lot more 'substantial' as in heavier built? Would it be a whole nother world for me as far as what I could do compared to what I can do now? The absolute ONLY reason I don't go out and buy a 7040 right now, is because of the obvious lack of HST. I'm trying to decide if giving up the HST for a more capable tractor is worth it or not.

I guess it comes down to, if the 5740 is basically just more PTO hp than mine, and no other power differences, and the 7040 is a huge upgrade, then I think it would be worth giving up the HST, I just can't stand the thought of going from HST to Hydro shuttle:laughing:

/ L4610 vs. L5740 vs. M7040
Just to reiterate, I've had multiple posts on "which tractor to get next" and I don't mean for this to become one of those. I'm mostly looking for info on how much of a real world upgrade either the 5740 or m7040 would be from my current tractor. Hope you guys aren't getting annoyed with all these 'whats next' threads :laughing:

Edit: Forgot to mention that I'm also wanting more 3pt lift capacity as well

/ L4610 vs. L5740 vs. M7040 #3  
No, I just think most of us are as unsure as you which way to jump. My answer was an L5740 and M8540, but I realize that is not needed or practical for most. One tractor simply isn't feasible for us, so if we have to have two anyway...

Maybe I can help if only a little. I went from an L5030 HSTC with an 852 loader to an L5740 with 853 loader and I really can't tell any difference in FEL capability. I pretty much always have 1100 or so pounds on the 5740 and it has plenty of power on hills and can even go in high on some places where I used medium on the L5030 due to the added power and dual range HST+.

I really can't speak from experience on the M7040 FEL as ours is a bigger model, but I am sure the M7040 FEL is more powerful than the L5740 FEL.

My experience though not exactly apples to apples is that the M is a substantial increase in power, capability and even comfort. I too prefer the HST, but have no problem operating the hydro shuttle on the M. The M seems significantly more stable on steep slopes though I haven't turned either over, so how much "feel" transfer to real world I can't say.

I really don't see a really clear decision point as there are plus/minus either way you go.

/ L4610 vs. L5740 vs. M7040 #4  
You have sort of answered your own question here. The 7040 is a major upgrade in power and capacity, but is it worth sacrificing your beloved HST? The 5740 is the top end of the L series, but it still is an L series. The M series with the exception of the MX's if moving into the more commercial use category.

/ L4610 vs. L5740 vs. M7040 #5  
i have an m70404x4 fel 1153LA R1s loaded rear ties cast center when doing dirt work with no teeth i can fill the bucket its 6 foot 2 feet over the front in hard dirt it will cutt thourgh sand stone up to 12 inches i have not use the pto as of yet and the weight has my tires half flat on my 10k cam line trailer i looked at the L4400 and moved dirt with it at dealer that was to small for me id say get the m7040 if u get the hydro shuddle u get the limited slip front diff my 7040 doesnt have it becaue its shuddle shift are you looking at the shuddle or hydro shift as far as the 5740 the landscape guy up the street has one the fel on that is to small its a 844 or 854 it doesnt have enough breakout you wont regret getting the m7040

/ L4610 vs. L5740 vs. M7040 #6  
My opinion after reading most of your posts is that your biggest concern seems to be the tranny. Trust me when I tell you that you will be plenty happy with the hydro shuttle. It's almost like you are afraid of having someting different than an HST because that is what you are use to. A few hours with the shuttle and you will be fine.

Just my :2cents: and I may be way off. :confused3:

/ L4610 vs. L5740 vs. M7040 #7  
The only difference you will notice with the l5740 is the hp, the loaders are basically the same. The 7040 on the other hand is a lot more tractor and loader. As for giving up the hst, I think you will get use to the hydro shuttle in no time and never look back.

/ L4610 vs. L5740 vs. M7040 #8  
The only difference you will notice with the l5740 is the hp, the loaders are basically the same. The 7040 on the other hand is a lot more tractor and loader. As for giving up the hst, I think you will get use to the hydro shuttle in no time and never look back.

I disagree, I believe that Piston would look back and say "Why did I wait so long?" ;)

/ L4610 vs. L5740 vs. M7040 #10  
My neighbor has an M7040 and I have an MX5100 and L4300 which are similar to what you are comparing. In my view, the smaller tractors are more useful getting in and out of tight spaces and in doing that being content giving up some HP, front and rear lift capacity and the comfort of a smoother ride in a larger tractor. I have owned many tractors over the years and would actually call the 7040 a large compact utility tractor even though most here would call it a large farm machine. It is still small and light enough to dodge and weave around property obstacles yet has the oopmh to lift a substantial rear implement as well as fill the bucket to the rim without making it a big event or tearing up the ground underneath. One point with the M7040 is that it is light in the rear and needs not only cast centers but a second set of rear weights as well. I don't care for loaded rears on larger tires.
So my vote is go for the bigger M7040 tractor as long as you can get over the hydro. In my view, the other advantages outweigh the hydro and the smoother ride and shuttle trans will be satisfactory offsets to the hydro. Just my two cents.